General Politics thread

bigmatt

If the mods don't mind I thought we could try and bring back an ongoing thread to chuck up the odd random politics comments/news stories/jokes/bits and pieces that don't deserve their own threads.

Chris Huhne has changed his plea to guilty in the driving points row and will almost certainly go to prison now for perverting the course of justice. He's resigned as an MP and there will be a by-election that will be the first where the coalition parties go to head-to-head:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21320992

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gay marriage is one of those issues where I just feel like everyone who disagrees with me (that it should be legal) is a complete d*ck. I know there's plenty of people (many on this forum) who feel that way about every belief they have about even the tiniest thing, but that's probably number one for me in that there's literally no argument against it other than "gays are gross".

I read one of the arguments against it is that since the legal definitions of adultery and consummation are both about winky into foo-foo that since gay sex doesn't fall into those categories (falls into a bum-hole, amirite) that's why you can't legalise gay marriage.

It's so wonderfully ass backwards. All this time I could have been bumming all these other men and I wouldn't have been cheating on my wife! :roll

I am going to go against everything I have been taught but I do not have a problem against gay marriage. Accept I do I do not mind my friends getting married in a civil ceremony or even them being in a committed relationship. I think it is wrong for them to be excommunicated if they come out in church or the fact that they have to go to confession if they want to have communion but I am afraid due to my religious upbringing I do not want to see gay couples getting married in a church. I do not know why I find that offensive but I do. It just seems really wrong.

I know lots of gay couples who have had a civil ceremony and still attend church, I have no problems with that hell I have been a bridesmaid at my best friends civil ceremony, and our priest blessed their union with the express notification that this was not valid in church. I will stop now and let others try and explain it better.

Gay marriage is one of those issues where I just feel like everyone who disagrees with me (that it should be legal) is a complete d*ck. I know there's plenty of people (many on this forum) who feel that way about every belief they have about even the tiniest thing, but that's probably number one for me in that there's literally no argument against it other than "gays are gross".

Pretty much this.

Also, Chris Hune is a dumbass, and a bit of a d*ck for pulling his ex-wife into his mess. Did anyone see what his son said? Still, nothing like a by-election, will be interesting to see how the Libs do given their current form.

Was wrong earlier, today was the first reading of the Marriage equality bill for England and Wales, the vote ended up being very lopsided, the "Ayes" got 400 votes and the "No's" only had 175.

There's still the committee stage, a second reading and The Lords to get through before Her Maj, OK's it. Honestly I think the only real hurdle is the Lords since most of the are really freaking old and some members of the C of E get into the Lords due to their position.

I am going to go against everything I have been taught but I do not have a problem against gay marriage. Accept I do I do not mind my friends getting married in a civil ceremony or even them being in a committed relationship. I think it is wrong for them to be excommunicated if they come out in church or the fact that they have to go to confession if they want to have communion but I am afraid due to my religious upbringing I do not want to see gay couples getting married in a church. I do not know why I find that offensive but I do. It just seems really wrong.

I know lots of gay couples who have had a civil ceremony and still attend church, I have no problems with that hell I have been a bridesmaid at my best friends civil ceremony, and our priest blessed their union with the express notification that this was not valid in church. I will stop now and let others try and explain it better.

There is an important point that everyone in this argument (in general I mean, not in this thread) seems to be overlooking.... this law will not require a church to marry anyone it doesn't want to.

Personally, I don't have a problem with gay marriage because it's hardly going to dilute the "sanctity of marriage" any more than the divorce rate or the prevalence of adultery.

• 3 weeks later...
UK's AAA credit rating cut to Aa1 by Moody's

Others have warned about the Treasury's "credibility being damaged"

The UK has had its top AAA credit rating cut by Moody's, based on its expectation that growth will "remain sluggish over the next few years".

The ratings agency became the first to lower the UK from its highest rating, to Aa1.

Moody's said that the country's debt reduction programme faced "challenges" ahead and the UK's huge debts were unlikely to reverse until 2016.

The agency had warned about the UK's growth prospects last year.

Fellow agency Standard & Poor's in December became the last of the three main rating agencies to put the UK's top AAA rating on "negative outlook" and said it may lower its rating if the UK's economy worsened.

Germany and Canada are the only major economies to currently have a top AAA rating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21554311

• 3 weeks later...
The sight of Nick Clegg and the rest of front bench sitting stony-faced and as stiff as boards thinking "Don't laugh, this is the bit they'll show on the news". Except Ken Clarke of course, who is too damn old to be that sad and has nothing to lose: being the 'Minister for washing lines' or whatever job he's got now as part of their plan to phase him out.

• 2 weeks later...
Russian billionaire Boris Berezovsky, the man who accused the Russian government of sponsoring terrorism, accused the Russian police of international illegal assassinations, and sued Roman Abramovich for corruption, has been found dead in London. If it was a murder, this will get really ugly, if it was suicide, this will get really weird.

Whelp! Now it seems the US Army believes that DHS wants to go to war against Americans. That's right a legit US Army Captain.

The following is United States Army Captain Terry M. Hestilow’s (retired) full letter to his Texas Senator John Cornyn regarding the Department of Homeland Security’s arms race, especially since they have no authority to wage war on Americans or anyone else. Hestilow, who posted the letter on Facebook, says DHS must surrender their weapons immediately to the Department of Defense.

The letter begins below:

“Re: Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and that agencies preparation for war against citizens of the United States of America.

Dear Senator Cornyn,

It is with gravest concern that I write to you today concerning the recent appropriation of weapons by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that can only be understood as a bold threat of war by that agency, and the Obama administration, against the citizens of the United States of America. To date, DHS has been unwilling to provide to you, the elected representatives of the People, justification for recent purchases of almost 3,000 mine-resistant ambush-protected (MRAP) armored personnel carriers, 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition (with associated weapons), and other weapons systems, when, in fact, the DHS has no war mission or war making authority within the limits of the United States of America.

Significant is the fact that at the same time the Obama administration is arming his DHS for war within the limits of the United States against the People of the United States in accordance with his 2008 campaign speech claiming,

“We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we’ve set. We’ve gotta (sic) have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well funded [as the United States military]”– Candidate Barack Obama, 2008.

The Obama administration is deliberately defunding, overextending, and hollowing the Department of Defense; the only legitimate agency of the U.S. government with a war mission.

You can find the rest of the letter here

There's also this from a Marine General warning others to save every last round, every drop of gas etc.

[video=youtube;RoG-jBH9yOE]

and this Fox News report:

[video=youtube;10AADiBwzKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10AADiBwzKI

Crazier everyday.

I'm proud to say that's my local MP.

EDIT: I promz this isn't an April Fools, but Bill O'Reilly has basically come out in support gay marriage by saying that anti-gay marriage people have no actual points, just Bible bashing. Bill O'Reilly. That's how main stream gay marriage acceptance is now. Public support for gay marriage has been shown to be pretty much the same in America as it is in Britain, if not higher. The latest results put American support at 58% and British support at 52%. With Britain legalising it without too much uproar, looks like it's just a matter of time in America.

Edited by John Hancock