Match Fixing

King

The European police agency has revealed that a wide-ranging investigation into match-fixing has uncovered more than 380 suspicious matches.

Those games include Word Cup and European Championship qualifiers as well as two Champions League games.

Europol's chief Rob Wainwright said the investigation uncovered "match-fixing activity on a scale we have not seen before."

Wainwright revealed the probe uncovered around £7million in betting profits and £1.27m in bribes to players and officials and has already led to several prosecutions.

The investigation identified about 425 corrupt officials, players and serious criminals in 15 countries.

Wainwright also stated that the involvement of organised crime "highlights a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe".

It was not immediately clear how many of the matches mentioned have been revealed in previous match-fixing investigations at a national level in countries including Germany and Italy.

This story just broke on SSN, massive investigation this and looks like one CL game that was played in England was fixed.

The guff I've been reading is either Chelsea fans saying "that match against Barcelona! Drogba was right!!" (remembering Drogba's "f*cking disgrace" outburst) or non-Chelsea fans saying "ahh, so that's how Chelsea won the Champion's League".

I have no clue which match it would be, but if I had to make a guess, I would say a 6th round dead-rubber group match where both sides were through, or one was already out. Something like that.

Cheers!

That Chelsea/Barca match wouldn't surprise me, just because I really don't get what else was going on otherwise. That said, it'll probably be some Russian/Ukrainian/Turkish bullshit that no one cares about, the "games in England" thing will turn out to not be true. That would be a shame though, because finding out Chelsea/Barca was a fix would probably make me happier than actually beating them did.

I'm just hoping none of this involves Chelsea being on the bad side. We've got enough Russian Mafia involvement for it to be a possibility, but I could really do without the bad press. Racism, wife stealing, manager purges, c*nt kicking, it would be nice to have a scandal we aren't a part of.

If it is that Barca/Chelsea match, and they strip them of the title. Doesn't the runners up get it? Just like Juve stuff. If so, Manchester United lose the final that year lol.

As much as it would be the greatest match-fixing scandal of all tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime if it came to pass that Chelsea vs Barca, with that mind-bogglingly inept refereeing performance, was fixed... I just can't see it being a major match like that.

Both teams would be desperate to win that match as the fiscal rewards for doing so would far FAR outweigh the comparatively piddling amounts they'd make for fixing it.

That doesn't mean the ref wasn't bought, of course, but buying the ref is not the same as match fixing. For match fixing you need players to be complicit.

I mean, I could arrange for the Nine Elms Swindon Sunday League men's AFC (my local) to play in a competitive match against Real Madrid and then pay the ref £50 to ensure Nine Elms win. But there's only so much he could do, y'know?

I could slip Mourinho £50 to tell his players to let Nine Elms win, but he's got to tell a dressing room of competitive pros to lose a match on purpose, so surely one of those players would come forward as a whistle-blower.

Think about it; what do you win money on bets with? Draws. Score draws. The ref can't help you and the manager wouldn't risk it, so you've got to get to the players.

And how's the easiest way to predict a score-draw? A last round group match where both sides are already through. The result doesn't matter to them at all , but the score draw matters to the gambler.

Basically you're looking for a match in the Champions League, played in England in the last few years, which PROBABLY finished 1-1, with a late equaliser scored after an inexplicably braindead individual error.

Any recent Arsenal match then :P.

Cheers!

It was a Liverpool game against Debrecen.

Debrecen goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic was bribed to ensure that there were over 2.5 goals in the match.

edit - and the match finished 1-0. We couldn't even score more when the keeper wasn't trying :lol

Edited by dpddave

LOL. Chelsea fans need to get over that 09' semi-final. I'm not gonna go into it again but we also got ****ed by the ref throughout the entire leg. Of course people don't like to bring that out because the popular thing is to say that Obrevo ****ed Chelsea. Anyhow, like Dave said, according to the Mirror, the CL fixed matched involved Pool and that Polish team.

Obrevo ****ed Chelsea.

Well, he f*cked them alright. It was sad to see a below par refereeing in a game of that magnitude.

And hold on, rant coming through, in that match Barca players went down like a deck of cards on every single opportunity they got, f*cking disgrace.

Well, he f*cked them alright. It was sad to see a below par refereeing in a game of that magnitude.

And hold on, rant coming through, in that match Barca players went down like a deck of cards on every single opportunity they got, f*cking disgrace.

When the "below par refereeing" strikes and you start to get hammered with reckless challenges by the Chelsea players and the ref doesn't show any cards, then you gotta do something to level the playing field. And it's not as if Chelsea players weren't going down like a sack of potatoes. Drogba was diving throughout the ENTIRE game. If some Barça player took a breath near him the guy went down. ****ing disgrace by your standards.

When the "below par refereeing" strikes and you start to get hammered with reckless challenges by the Chelsea players and the ref doesn't show any cards, then you gotta do something to level the playing field. And it's not as if Chelsea players weren't going down like a sack of potatoes. Drogba was diving throughout the ENTIRE game. If some Barça player took a breath near him the guy went down. ****ing disgrace by your standards.

The ref can only penalize if it was a card worthy challenge, dropping on your ass every time whenever a Chelsea shirt ran by doesn't count. Please dont lecture me on play acting, nobody does it better than the La Masia graduates and Suarez. :P

I dont support Chelsea but whatever happened to Chelsea that night and next year with the RvP sendoff, I am sorry but to me it seemed like the referee's were acting under instructions from one Mr. Platini. :P ;)

The ref can only penalize if it was a card worthy challenge, dropping on your ass every time whenever a Chelsea shirt ran by doesn't count. Please dont lecture me on play acting, nobody does it better than the La Masia graduates and Suarez. :P

I dont support Chelsea but whatever happened to Chelsea that night and next year with the RvP sendoff, I am sorry but to me it seemed like the referee's were acting under instructions from one Mr. Platini. :P ;)

See, this is what pisses me off. Drogba and Ashley Cole have dived the same as Alves and Busquets so what the hell ar eyou talking about?

Also, people like to remember only what they want. RVP was playing on borrowed time. May I remind you that before he got sent off for kicking the ball and ignoring the ref, he made a reckless tackle on Messi, stomping his cleats right on Lio's ankle and didn't receive a yellow card. So in essence Van Persie should've been sent off long before he did.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg618/scaled.php?tn=0&server=618&filename=bkdvt.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Also, what he did to Alves was a straight red card. It was a clear aggression on purpose and he only received a yellow card.

Edited by Drake