Is TNA Bigger than ECW?

GENE

So i've been watching quite a bit of the original ECW in the last few days,and i was wondering is TNA any bigger than ECW was back in the day? I mean,TNA pulls roughly the same sized crowds for PPV's on the road,they have a home base (The Impact Zone,ECW Arena) i'm sure there TV numbers are roughly in the same region 1.2? Yeah TNA have bigger stars in Hogan,Sting and Kurt but does that make them a bigger promotion? Discuss

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless you Jam.

I guess if you look at it in terms of things like TV deals, production value, name stars then TNA is definitely bigger than ECW. In terms of putting out a product that has an impact or is innovative then ECW is still above TNA. TNA couldn't really make astar that WWE would be desperate to sign or care about signing in the same way that say Tazz or the dudleys were back in the 90's.

Bigger? Yes. Bigger legacy once it dies? No.

ECW was an Indy company that had regional TV (even on TNN which was regional until WWE got there, though the two aren't related) and good house show business, which lost trucks of money and was shown in two, maybe three countries (the UK being one). TNA is shown in multiple countries, some of which it tours fairly successfully, on a decent national cable station in prime time, with more money at its disposal, more viewers, bigger stars and probably a lot of other stuff that I'm missing.

Well yeah, as Omega and others have said, the legacy argument will live and die with ECW. It was a completely new experience at the time, something very like Memphis yet very unlike anything else that had come before it. It brought a lot of great wrestlers to the United States, innovated a lot of characters and ideas, and had a loyal fan base that has never been replicated since.

TNA is bigger in terms of production values, longevity and certain named stars but unless it overtakes WWE(highly unlikely) then it will never be remembered or have the hardcore fan base that ECW did.

When you actually look at the two companies side by side TNA is better managed which will help it to survive longer and Dixie Carter will never take the risks Paul Heyman did as times have changed.

Bigger legacy once it dies? No

Are you still going on about it dying man you said they would be dead years ago, aren't you tired of being wrong?

TNA is a bigger company than ECW, ECW was lucky to be born in the time it was, TNA has never tried to be ECW (aside from a reunion show) they have been the replace to WCW in there style that was why they were created to fill the void in southern style wrestling.

He didnt mean it as a shot, he meant it as a marker of time, i.e. "When TNA is finished and its history is written."

Almost every single wrestling company in existence has eventually died. It isnt unreasonable or all that bad a prediction to say that, at some point in the future, TNA will die.

And Holy Sh*t at TNA as southern style wrestling. Unless we're using "southern style wrestling" as a synonym for "company Jeff Jarrett works for".

it was more focused on the in ring product, NWA also had more focus on that than say the WWF, at the start of TNA's run it had great matches week on week the x division was great and much like WCW it had a great under card and a not so good main event sense they oppsoite to what WWF used to have which had a poor undercard matches but decent main event angles and matches

"Southern style wrestling" is not the same thing as "WCW". And having a good undercard under a poor main event isnt a style, that is just a comment on the quality of your cards.

Southern style wrestling is old school, rooted heavily in kayfabe, focuses on tag team wrestling, bleeding, schtick, and so forth.

TNA in its early years was about cruiser spotfests, Russo worked shoots, wacky gimmick matches and trying to get Jeff Jarrett over. One is not like the other. OK, so Jeff Jarrett is the common denominator. That is about as far as it extends.