What Horror Films Should Jamster Watch?

Jamster26

This might be a hard question, but, what horror films would people recommend? Have to say, I;'ve probably only seen about, three horror films, which is bad so I'm hoping to improve on that count but Ive no idea what the best ones are in the genre.

I've watched The Last Exorsism very recently which was quite good I thought but I'd like to watch more.

Edited by Jamster26

This might be a hard question, but, what horror films would people recommend? Have to say, I;'ve probably only seen about, three horror films, which is bad so I'm hoping to improve on that count but Ive no idea what the best ones are in the genre.

I've watched The Last Exorsism very recently which was quite good I thought but I'd like to watch more.

Maxx, we might need a new thread, because Jamster just made, officially, absolutely no jokes or making fun, my favourite post in the history of this forum.

What sort of stuff have you like in the horror movies you've seen? It's a broad church, you're got your creepy ones, funny ones, jumpy ones, disturbing ones, violent ones, murder-mystery ones.

I'm so excited about this conversation :(

That would depend entirely on the types you want to see, I think Maxx and John Hancock are maybe your best people to ask me I'm not so into horror anymore buy in my youth I liked slashers and such, there are a fair few different types of horror so It's more down to what you think would suit you best, I like the classics in the slasher vein of horror, I like Friday the 13 th the first 4, Hallowe'en 1 and 2, Nightmare on Elm Street 1,2,3 and I liked New Nightmare (i didn't mind the remake in honesty) I also like Freddy vs Jason. They aren't slashers but I liked all the evil Dead's the 3rd is closer to action adventure than horror in my opinion, i do tend to enjoy the cheesier aspect of certain movies though, Phantasm I like the first 3 the Childs plays i like the first 4. But the whole paranormal activity ghosty horrors or exorcism esque movies I don't like I tend to enjoy the bad guy is there you don't know who or where they are until its too late, hell Sleepaway Camp i enjoyed recently and the ending to that was pretty good. Recent horror I cant really comment on but what I like is here to see.

I started this before JH posted btw :)

I love the old slashers, but, when I used to watch them, they were horror movies, now, they're comedies. I got my misses all the original Nightmare on Elm Street's DVD's for her birthday, and even the original, which wasn't supposed to be funny at all, it's really silly now. It's still awesome, but I wonder why it lost it's scariness when stuff that's even older, like some of the 1970's stuff, is still some of the scariest movies out there.

Johnny Depp's bed scene is pretty hilarious though :lol i had a crush on Nancy when I got to my teens that grey streak was sexy as hell, most of them tried to be funny in the end I do think we have all just been desensitised to them now though and the effects look silly but back then they were amazing

I'm not a huge fan of jumpy movies, it's just personal taste, but some movies that I've liked that have also made me jump have been Drag Me To Hell, [REC] (probably my favourite horror movie of the last decade), IT, Susperia and The Decent.

Of all of them, watch [REC], it's so awesome. It's all in Spanish, but you could easily enjoy it with subtitles, because it's not like what they're saying is particularly important, even if you do understand them. It's about a news crew filming a documentary about a team of firemen in Barcelona, and they end up answering a call at an apartment block which it turns out is infested with what are basically Satanic zombie things (It's Spanish, so there's a lot of Catholic dogma in the backstory, which is actually really cool and refreshing against all the generic "It's basically AIDS" zombies we get these days). It's all filmed through the news team's camera, because they're trying to turn the very small scale zombie outbreak into a documentary. It's really great, and the jumps are really intelligent. It's none of that Paranormal Activity "quiet, quiet, quiet, BANG, quiet, quiet" stuff, they basically tell you "Something's about to happen, something's about to happen, something's about to happen, THERE IT IS, OH GOD, NOW IT'S HAPPENING", they're intelligent, well paced jumps.

[video=youtube;YGJ_jPKOj1c]

Probably the number one jump from a horror movie I've had that I can remember is the twisted up face in the American remake of The Ring. Even if I know it's coming, it still scares the balls off me.

Horror murder-mysteries are tough, because you can get a great horror movie with a bad mystery storyline, or a bad mystery with great scares. Se7en's absolutely awesome, and there's a Dutch movie called The Vanishing, which is great, but the ending literally scared me for life to the point that I almost regret seeing it, because I think of that ending. all. the. time. If you want a murder mystery horror movie that's just complete insanity, watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. It was backwards talking, French, dancing dwarfs.

Edited by John Hancock

No one in human history has, before this day, chosen Evil Dead 3 as their favourite of the series :lol

Evil Dead 1 and 2 are in my personal Horror Hall of Fame though, absolute classics, especially when you read how they filmed them. Sam Raimi's amazing cinematographic theorem was basically just, "Put people in the woods. Try to kill them. Film it. Don't actually kill them."

I'm not a big horror fan but I can't let this thread go without mentioning Ringu, the original one not The Ring, it's really good and just entirely atmospheric, there's really only one actually "scary" scene in the whole movie but the atmosphere is intense. I'd also recommend an anime called Perfect Blue which is a really good psychological horror movie. Black Swan is great, in a similar vein to Perfect Blue.

I also liked the Scream movies and Saw. The Final Destintion movies are dumb but still fun too.

I've kind of taken a liking to Zombie movies too, particularly Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later and the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.

Edited by Anime Otaku

I might add some if Johnny misses something obvious, but in the meantime it looks like he's got things handled.

Um, one I watched recently, Sinister was a lot better than I expected form mainstream horror. That's at least worth a watch.

Dammit, I just did what I said I wasn't gonna do.

I have a list that i think r pretty good and cover alot of horror genres

The ring is a fantastic suspense thinking your way through it movie.

If you want twisted gore go for the devils rejects, love that one.

The exorcism of emily rose is great if your into the whole possession thing.

If your gonna go with the saw movies 1 and 2 are the best of the lot.

No one who called Devils Rejects gruesome should never watch Serbian Film :P

Also, to just go full hipster, A Serbian Film is like the Slipknot of gruesome movies; yeah, it's gross, but there's so much worse out there if you really want. If you just want to ruin your life and become an instant sociopath watch Salo (like two hours of random people being tortured, raped and forced to eat poop by Italian Nazis), or Martyrs (French women get tortured for ever), or Men Behind the Sun (some nice Japanese experiments on Chinese prisoners of war feat. an actual dead child being cut up), or Flowers of Flesh and Blood (a fake snuff movie in which a samurai chops up a young woman very slowly), or Visitor Q (famous for the scene in which a man uses shit as lubricant when having sex with a corpse), or Aftermath (a movie in which literally nothing happens other than a man performs an autopsy and then f*cks the corpse), or maybe even more mainstream stuff like Audition and Anti-Christ. Those are the sort of movies that just make you not want to watch movies anymore.

Edited by John Hancock

Number one is a gross idea, but nothing gross actually happens in the movie, number two, lots of gross things happen, but in a really silly slapstick way, like a charmless Evil Dead/Brain Dead sort of thing.

Actual scene; A pregnant woman is running away. She has the baby mid run and doesn't notice. She gets in a car and runs over the baby she just had. The baby explodes.

It's hard to be disturbed by anything that stupid.

Ani made a great call with Oldboy. It's not THAT bad, but it'll gross you out more through implication than through you actually seeing anything.

Evil Dead Trilogy, Drag Me To Hell, for the Sam Raimi quota.

Night of the Living Dead (original), Dawn of the Dead (original), Day of the Dead (original), Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Day of the Dead (remake), Dead Snow, for Zombie movies.

There's a lot more, of various types, but I can't think of them right now.

No one who called Devils Rejects gruesome should never watch Serbian Film :P

Also, to just go full hipster, A Serbian Film is like the Slipknot of gruesome movies; yeah, it's gross, but there's so much worse out there if you really want. If you just want to ruin your life and become an instant sociopath watch Salo (like two hours of random people being tortured, raped and forced to eat poop by Italian Nazis), or Martyrs (French women get tortured for ever), or Men Behind the Sun (some nice Japanese experiments on Chinese prisoners of war feat. an actual dead child being cut up), or Flowers of Flesh and Blood (a fake snuff movie in which a samurai chops up a young woman very slowly), or Visitor Q (famous for the scene in which a man uses shit as lubricant when having sex with a corpse), or Aftermath (a movie in which literally nothing happens other than a man performs an autopsy and then f*cks the corpse), or maybe even more mainstream stuff like Audition and Anti-Christ. Those are the sort of movies that just make you not want to watch movies anymore.

Really? A Serbian Film is banned here, (so is Flowers of Flesh and Blood and Aftermath), but the rest you listed as 'worse' than A Serbian Film are all available here uncut.

From what I read about A Serbian Film when it first caused controversy, it sounds like the most revolting, disgusting film ever made.

Oh, and I've seen parts of Men Behind the Sun. You failed to mention that most of the dead bodies in the film are real.

I was told to watch August Underground Mordum. Didn't.

What was too much in the case of Human Centipede Jammy? I mean I've not watched it all the way through due to having an awful attention span but I know what happens, is it gore or the depravity that bother you? You may be more suited to the 'supernatural horrors' which are in abundance at the minute Mama is coming out soon, maybe give that a whirl?

Really? A Serbian Film is banned here, (so is Flowers of Flesh and Blood and Aftermath), but the rest you listed as 'worse' than A Serbian Film are all available here uncut.

It's sort of like Human Centipede in that it's got a lot of really gross ideas going on, but, on screen, they aren't that bad. A lot of it is psychological, there's a lot of incest and pedophilia and stuff, but it's filmed more suggestively than the films I was talking about, whose ideas are less offensive, but they're filmed in a more "There, there's that" sort of a way, you know?

Oh, and I've seen parts of Men Behind the Sun. You failed to mention that most of the dead bodies in the film are real.

Huh, I never even knew that! I knew one of the kids getting autopsied was real autopsy footage, but I didn't know there was anything more going on that just that.

I was told to watch August Underground Mordum. Didn't.

Oh Jesus, yeah, that deserved to be on my list. One of those real "Why am I watching this?" movies. There's a movie called Angel's Lament or something like that that's similar, but I haven't seen it, not do I want to unless someone's paying me.

And, as Eddie also said, Mama is going to be gangster. It's by my favourite director-writer possibly ever, Guillermo del Toro, the dude who made Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone, and all the best horror movies recently have either been in Spanish or made by someone who's first language is Spanish ([REC], Crono Crimenes, El Orfanato, Somos Lo Que Hay, La Casa Muda). Can't wait for Mama.

Edited by John Hancock