Jeff Hardy Interview: Hogan Has Helped TNA

Jamster26

What do you think of Jeff's comments below? Do you think Hogan has helped TNA? What do you make of comments towards WWE?

On critics who say that TNA is filled with washed up former WWE wrestlers trying to collect a paycheck: "You know, I'm not sure. We're way different than WWE. We may never be as big as WWE, but the cool thing about TNA is that we are the alternative. So people who get tired and bored with the WWE - I've been there, I understand - there's an alternative and something else to watch. For special wrestlers, there's somewhere else to go - as long as you're not brainwashed by that WWE mentality. There's other worlds out there; it's OK to switch around."

On How Hulk Hogan has Helped TNA: "Just being Hulk Hogan and here in TNA is huge; Sting is here, too. They're big-time involved with the younger guys whether its advice their style, compliments on a good job or giving some kind of direction. They are big-time involved and I think it definitely helps to have them and their knowledge here to help these guys that (previously) didn't get it that much. It helps slow them down and work smarter. Even just character-wise, they help all talent here."

Credit: mlive.com

Hogan has been helpful in the way that, yes, he is a presence and could teach the new kids a lot about how to be a star in the business. He is great for PR appearances (sure, his personal life is a joke and he lies for sport, but he's Hulk Hogan and his name goes a long way) and selling house shows and international tours, and can even move TV ratings when he's used correctly. But he's also a lot of money for what TNA gets out of him. That said, I'd keep him and ditch Bischoff if money is an issue.

However, when we look back at the history of TNA, it's pretty fair to say that Kurt Angle will go down as the most important wrestler to join the company. His arrival gave a legitimacy to the company (which sadly came in line with Russo returning and ruining the product), it got them some big international TV deals, and he's produced a lot of the classic TNA matches that we'll remember down the years. He put over guys too, even if the booking destroyed them the next week. TNA made Sting their first Hall of Famer and I can see why, but on company importance I'd put Kurt in first every time, even before Jarrett and the Carters.

However, when we look back at the history of TNA, it's pretty fair to say that Kurt Angle will go down as the most important wrestler to join the company. His arrival gave a legitimacy to the company (which sadly came in line with Russo returning and ruining the product), it got them some big international TV deals, and he's produced a lot of the classic TNA matches that we'll remember down the years. He put over guys too, even if the booking destroyed them the next week. TNA made Sting their first Hall of Famer and I can see why, but on company importance I'd put Kurt in first every time, even before Jarrett and the Carters.

He is also the only guy in company history to actually sell a PPV. No mean feat.

I dont see how you put him above the Jarretts and Carters though. Without Angle, things might have been a tiny bit worse. Without those guys, the company doesnt exist at all.

Not true; Jarrett and Raven did huge numbers (at the time, within TNA context) during the weekly PPV series.

It's honestly arguable that the company wouldn't exist without Angle either. You can't underestimate the worth of the deals that got done the minute Angle joined the company. Jarrett created the company but they lost money like it was pisswater and if anything, Jarrett was no better a promoter than Shane Douglas with Hardcore Whateveroranother. He was champion for a long time, but people hated him for it and not in a good way. It's only really in hindsight that history is favourable to Jarrett. The Carters don't deserve any HOF recognition; they bought a company and left it to be a tax write-off whilst Dixie did such a good job that her dad had to step in and assign his wife to make sure that Dixie stopped spending more money than they had to. Saying the company wouldn't exist is one thing, but they've left it to exist and that's the problem.

What are the deals they hatched solely or mainly due to Angle though, and how were they so important that the company would be dead without them? TNA survived losing money and going nowhere for a decade, and Angle didnt move any aspect of business beyond the first PPV. I dont see how he was that crucial.

The Jarretts and Carters may be incompetent, but they are the reason TNA exists in the first place and continues to exist despite being a complete failure of a company. Angle doesnt bankroll the company or eat money losses. If he never comes in, the marks dont have their hero and they never reach the magic 60,000 number. Maybe a TV deal or two is lost or delayed (Spike is the only TV deal that is vital to them anyway and that had nothing to do with Angle).

The Carters dont save Jerry Jarrett in 2002 and...they'd all be working IWA-MS for weed money.

(And yeah Jarrett/Raven worked, and I think Sting's very first return/debut/whatever popped a bit as well, but not to the same level. And I was trying to agree with you.)

If the Carters and Jarrett are the ones to go in first because they fund the venture, why not add the Spike TV executive who is REALLY the guy who is the reason TNA is alive right now because he put them on his station as the Carters were ready to close down the company? Surely he's the most important person in TNA history. In fact, he absolutely is more important than the Carters because he really is the reason they're still alive. The Carters would have pulled out were it not for him.

But what Kurt did was come in at a time when TNA was surviving on the kind-hearted nature of the Carters and word of mouth PPV buys, was come in to a company with a great undercard and weak main event talent, and give them a real main eventer and legitimate superstar to build the company around. You can only go so far with Jarrett, DDP, Raven and Glen Gilberti. When he signed, it was a huge deal that had never occurred in TNA before. It led to TNA filming PPVs outside of Orlando, a move to prime time on Spike, a couple of PPV buyrate spikes and their biggest buyrates in history (I'm almost positive he holds the top two or three), international TV deals that bring in important money that stopped Bob Carter from thinking "we need to stop losing money, fix it now or I'm pulling the plug" (which is also what led to Dixie hiring Russo). Add that to the great matches, the trying to make new stars and everything else, and I don't see how he couldn't be the front runner for going into any hall of fame.

I'm also pretty sure, if I recall Meltzer correctly, that he's the reason for the Midway deal for the video game. That may be to his credit or not, depending how you remember that awful game.

It's like suggesting that Vince McMahon should be in the WWE Hall of Fame before Bruno, Hogan and Austin. Vince is super important to the company and the reason it exists, but in before those guys? Really?

Edited by DraVen

I think we're having two separate conversations here.

I'm not talking about the TNA HOF at all. I never mentioned it and didnt even realise that you had either. Of course Angle should go into the HOF and I'm not suggesting otherwise.

I dont really see how you connect Angle so closely to the above chain of events that you're saying the company literally would have folded if he hadnt jumped when he did. Been poorer, probably, but literally died? All of the sh*t TNA have lived through and Angle staying away in 2006 is what would have done them in? I dont see it.

You havent explained how Angle fits into the timeline of TNA getting international deals, outside tapings, and so forth. They went to two hours (or was it primetime? I forget which) just after Angle came in, so I can almost buy that one (even though the idea of Spike TV execs saying "Kurt Angle? That guy is a superstar, here's the blank checkbook" is pretty far-fetched to me), but you have to show your working in linking Angle so crucially to every single advancement they've made since then.

I think we're having two separate conversations here.

I'm not talking about the TNA HOF at all. I never mentioned it and didnt even realise that you had either. Of course Angle should go into the HOF and I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Umm...

TNA made Sting their first Hall of Famer and I can see why, but on company importance I'd put Kurt in first every time, even before Jarrett and the Carters.

The whole conversation revolves around that line. We're having a debate, yet you've managed to both acknowledge and argue yet avoid and ignore the very pivotal subject? Let's discuss it more.

I dont really see how you connect Angle so closely to the above chain of events that you're saying the company literally would have folded if he hadnt jumped when he did. Been poorer, probably, but literally died? All of the sh*t TNA have lived through and Angle staying away in 2006 is what would have done them in? I dont see it.

You havent explained how Angle fits into the timeline of TNA getting international deals, outside tapings, and so forth. They went to two hours (or was it primetime? I forget which) just after Angle came in, so I can almost buy that one (even though the idea of Spike TV execs saying "Kurt Angle? That guy is a superstar, here's the blank checkbook" is pretty far-fetched to me), but you have to show your working in linking Angle so crucially to every single advancement they've made since then.

I didn't say that they would have died without Angle. But you're saying that the company wouldn't be alive without Jarrett when the company was going to be dead under Jarrett until the Carters saved his ass. You're saying the company wouldn't be alive without the Carters, but it's public knowledge (and the Observer has touched on it many times) that the Carters were ready to pull the plug until Spike took Impact. So I don't buy your idea that someone should be in the Hall of Fame (the sole reason for this debate, I remind you) based on whether they founded or bought the company or not.

The announcement of more outside PPVs and prime time came at the same time. It wasn't a new thing, but they were announced with more frequency as soon as Angle signed. That only requires checking a F4W from that period. International deals came from what Meltzer reported at the time. You missed out the Midway deal again. And no one has had more great matches in TNA than Kurt. Not even AJ.

Once again, in your logic, Vince McMahon gets a HOF spot before Hulk and Austin. I'm sure there's an argument to be made for it, but I don't buy it.

Umm...

The whole conversation revolves around that line. We're having a debate, yet you've managed to both acknowledge and argue yet avoid and ignore the very pivotal subject? Let's discuss it more.

Honest to God I missed that line in the first place, which is why it confused me when you then brought up the HOF again. I All I read in that sentence was putting Angle above the Jarretts and Carters after saying he was the most important person in company history, and missed the bit about putting him above them in a HOF induction order. My bad.

I was always arguing the point about Angle's importance to the company in general. Anything you're saying about the HOF I am in agreement with you.

And no one has had more great matches in TNA than Kurt. Not even AJ.

But Holy Christ is this ever debatable.