Bret Hart throws shots at Triple H

Canned Heat

http://nodq.com/wwe/361676794.shtml

"I have a certain amount of respect for Triple H. I remember when he first came in, I remember commenting on stuff that he did. Because I'd usually give wrestlers my thoughts and try to help them on stuff... Triple H has always been a good wrestler. But great? What is he now, a 1,000 time world champion? How great really is he?

"I look at [CM] Punk... I can look at certain wrestlers and I go, this guy is an innovator. Like a Rey Mysterio, who's done stuff that no one has ever thought of before. Punk has done stuff -- really unique moves and you go, 'gee I've never seen anything like that before.' They innovate all the time, and they create new sequences and moves and things.

"Then you look at someone like Triple H. When I look at him -- he's always had a good look as far as his body went -- he always had a pretty muscular physique. But you look at someone like Hunter and you wonder, what has he really done. One move that he ever created that nobody ever saw before or some highspots or an idea for a match... He's mostly a guy that just showed up and they made him. He's always been a decent wrestler -- I would consider him a good wrestler and pretty talented. But great? I don't know, I don't think so.

"What has he ever done that's great? He's never had a great match, I don't think ever. Whenever I look at Triple H's matches, including the last one he had with Undertaker -- and I don't really mean it as a knock -- but I told myself before I watched it because I'm trying to like Paul now these days, that I want to see him do something to make me think he's got greatness in him.

"Before Triple H wrestled Undertaker last year, I remember watching it and going, 'I can picture the whole match in my head, I can tell you exactly what this match is going to be like and how it's going to go. And I remember watching it and it went exactly how I predicted it... I thought it was mediocre at best, maybe a 4 out of 10, or 3 out of 10.

"I think Paul is a little overrated... overrated for being great. I can sit here and tell you that there was one match that he ever had with anybody that I thought was great. It's kind of a shame, he should have a great match somewhere with somebody. And you'd think that he would have had it by now, but I don't think he's a great wrestler."

Sounds like somebody that didn't watch WWF from 1999-2002..

Edit: Could have posted this in Random News, but I thought this deserved a little more than that. So what do you think?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to laugh earlier today when watching one of the WWE Legends of Wrestling roundtables. It was about the influence of Canadian wrestlers / wrestling on the US and Bret mentioned one of the reasons they were successful is that they were humble, with Bret claiming to be very humble.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger mark for himself in my life.

Triple H at his best was better than Bret, I think. If I had to group all their matches together and pick out the best single match either man has been in, my pick would be Triple H vs. Cactus Jack by quite a distance. A phenomenal match and far more entertaining than anything Bret did, including the Austin match at 'Mania, which would be my choice for Bret's greatest ever match. At his best, Triple H was a very good worker and a notch above Bret.

I can't think of many stand out matches in Bret's career. Perhaps unfairly, I think he's overrated because of how every person in wrestling talks about his technical ability. Yeah, he might have been smooth and easy to work with but was he really an entertaining wrestler? I can't think of many "entertaining" matches with Bret in them. Some fans talk about the Iron Man match with Michaels as proof of Bret's ability, but that match is thoroughly boring, even though it probably is technically very good. I'm struggling to think of many of his matches which I really enjoyed.

Give me HHH over Hart, any day. Hart was a FANTASTIC wrestler. He is, in my opinion, the body part psychology god. But that's really the only place I can see him being better than HHH. As a PURE wrestler. Charisma? HHH, no question. Look? HHH by a mile. Mic? HHH. Wrestling style? HHH. Character? HHH

Bret's still bitter because HHH came up with the Screwjob. But it's not like Bret is wrong. HHH isn't great, HHH isn't as great as HHH thinks he is, HHH doesn't belong in the same category as Austin and Rock and Foley, and certainly won't be remembered like a Ric Flair will be. He had a great run in 2000 but he also had a stinker with Scott Steiner when even Test could have a good match with him. I can name more great Bret matches than great HHH matches, and I can't think off hand of any truly bad Bret matches where I can with Hunter.

Believe me, I'm not saying Bret was incredible. But he's not wrong per se. Just bitter in his fair assessment.

Hunter definitely isnt as great as he thinks he is, nor is he an all-time great or an all-time huge superstar, but I dont think that necessarily means he still isnt/wasnt great as a wrestler. I think he's definitely had periods of greatness and a boatload of great matches. I plead ignorance on the vast majority of Bret's career so I'm not comparing them, but for all his faults, I dont think there is a shortage of great Hunter matches. And I'm someone who is pretty much sick to death of Hunter and am more inclined to argue against his greatness at this point. But saying he was never great is selling him way short, to me.

But you can be still great and not be an All Time guy..

I think if you asked Hunter where he would rank himself, it would be much higher than he actually is, though.

Personally, I would still rank him Top 15 and maybe Top 10.. Around the same place as Bret, just a little higher. Mind you, I wasn't watching a portion of HHH's career from 2006-2010...

Edited by Canned Heat

Not a fan of either and I disagree that HHH hasn't ever had a great match. He's had a few, although I agree that the HHH/Taker stuff was/is massively overrated. His stuff with Cactus was so great, the chemistry was spot on.

On the other hand, Bret wasn't even close to as good as he thinks he was, he literally thinks he's the greatest wrestler to ever lace up a pair of boots. He isn't, and his great matches are there, but its not like he was consistent and putting out great match one after the other. He had some stinkers with a lot of guys. Bret didn't change his style to work with other guys, so unless other wrestlers could work his style, the chemistry wasn't there and the matches were piss poor.

All that said, I'd rank Bret's best matches above HHH's.

In all honesty.

Everything Bret said in that interview I thought all ready.

I just don't rate HHH highly.

He has had a couple of decent matches but I don't think he can ever been known as one of the greats in the business.

Bret, through all his faults, was an incredible wrestler. I remember rewatching an old WWF video where Bret was facing someone like Bo Beverly. The match was great because Bret was a pure wrestler.

Theres my opinion, may not be great or spelled correctly but its out there now

Bret was far from a pure wrestler. I've said it many times in the past, he wasn't a technical wrestler, people just think he was because WWF said he was, so people just agreed with it. What technical moves did he do?

If anything, he was a brawler. His main moves were Sharpshooter, Russian Leg Sweep, inverted Atomic Drop, Backbreaker, headbutt, elbow from middle rope, crotch stomp, side headlock, punches and kicks in the corner, running falling clothesline...I mean, which of those moves are technical? Sharphooter...that's about it. Oh he had the figure 4 around the post later in his career too.

But he rarely transitioned from one move to another with any type of mat based, technical "pure" wrestling, he was a striker, always throwing punches, kicks and headbutts.

The thing is, back in the 80's and early 90's, if you were a smaller guy, you were almost automatically classed as a technical 'scientific' wrestler or a high flyer, even if you weren't.

Triple hhh thinks way too highly of himself. For the majority of his career the only times he went up the ladder was when someone bowed out of the running. He didn't move up until michaels disappeared after WM14. He didn't become the champion til austin was gone for an extended period of time. And he didn't become the main star on his own til rock austin were gone in 03 and 04 and guys like taker and curt and brock went to the smackdown brand. If anything he has had on his side it was patience and timing to be the right guy at the right place at the right time.

And bret's case is as simple as he became the figurehead when the WWF became irrelevant after hogan left.