Dog or Cat person?

King

Simple question really are you a Dog or a Cat person?

My first pet was a cat but we had a Sheepdog for 17 years and he was like a member of the family so for me dogs would be my favourite.

Cats can be messy bastards, more so that dogs.

You?

For years we were cat people but 10 years ago when my mum died we bought dad a dog for company and he became one of the family. He is a major part of the household and will be really missed should he ever die. He is the first thing i see in the morning and the last at night he demands his walk by putting his paws on the cupboard where the lead is kept and whining. He taps the bowl for food and demands hugs on a ten minute basis. Milo is wonderful and could not be without him.

Both in equal measure. If me and my wife had the time we might have a Dog but it'd be unfair as we'd see it for a few hours in the evening and the weekends with our jobs. With cats you know they can entertain themselves plenty well enough without you! :)

I prefer dogs, although I only have a cat (I had a dog too, but it died). My cat's a stray that just decided it lived in my house 12 years ago and hasn't left, and I love my cat, but I'd never intentionally buy a cat, where as, the second I'm living somewhere that allows them, I intend to have dogs for the rest of my life.

Growing up my parents always had dogs. When I moved into my own place there was this cat that was always hanging around & coming in the house. At first I thought she was a stray & I started feeding her but it turns out her real owners lived 3 doors away but she wouldn't go there because they had loads of cats & she didn't get on with other cats so she ended up living with me.

She was 13 at the time & she died last year at the age of 21. I was absolutely gutted.

As for the question am I a dog or a cat person I would have to say both

Definitely a cat person. Had 5 or 6 cats since I was 3, although the last couple I've had have only lasted 4 months each, as both got run over.

I'd definitely have a dog though. I like collies, labs and those silvery-grey blue-eyed husky things.

Cheers!

I love all animals, but I'd say dogs shade this one for me, maybe because I've always had dogs and I've never had a cat.

At home (when I'm not staying in Edinburgh, I stay at my grandparents), we have border collie, and a cross breed that is half lab, half something else, I forget. Anyway, they're both great. I'd like to have one at my own place, but I wouldn't have the time for it at the moment, so it wouldn't be fair. When I'm old and retired though with lots of free time, I intend to have a couple.

I like both cats and dogs, but I prefer affectionate animals and, as a species, dogs are typically more affectionate than cats. German Shepherds, Collies, Labradors and Staffies are my favorite dogs, mainly because they're the breeds I know the best.

Staffies get a lot of bad press because of dodgy shit like selling pitbulls as Staffies, but I had 2 Staffies and the only thing they ever attacked was each other (mainly as a result him being too persistent, or not minding his distance from the puppies). Not a dog to have with if you've got small kids though.

Staffies used to be called the nanny dog because of how good they are with kids. Its the chavvy owners that breed/raise them wrong. We have one 4 days a week and she's as soft and daft as a brush and gets on fine with ours. She's a rescue that was dumped after a few litters. Personally I wouldn't leave a child alone with any dog. Not because of the dog either.

Staffies used to be called the nanny dog because of how good they are with kids. Its the chavvy owners that breed/raise them wrong. We have one 4 days a week and she's as soft and daft as a brush and gets on fine with ours. She's a rescue that was dumped after a few litters. Personally I wouldn't leave a child alone with any dog. Not because of the dog either.

Yeah, to be fair, my Staffies were never around small kids, so they didn't understand that standing on them with front paws was terrifying to small children.

My main concern though would be the kid doing something stupid and then injuring themselves by tearing their arm/leg from the dogs mouth, not realising the dog isn't going to hurt them, it's just trying to stop them.

• 2 weeks later...
This is bringing me down folks, I can't understand why I haven't had a pet in my 20 year existence. My biggest fear is going to an animal shelter and choosing over some hundred dogs. Can't leave them behind. :sad5: When I get a dog, it's probably gonna be a Beagle. Edited by Shaun2J