The state of American Wrestling...

oobydooby

....specifically that of WWE.

Am I missing something? We have seen CM Punk retain the WWE belt for over a year now, part of which has seen him unable to defend it for a month or more.

Not much more than a year ago I seem to recall a champion was unable to defend his belt and was stripped of it and a contest was arranged to find a new champion. Surely as Punk could not defend his belt should it not have been removed from him and after finding a new champion he would have to prove his worth once again to earn the right to fight for it?

Then there is the Rock. He has not wrestled since Wrestlemania last year, yet he has challenged for the WWE belt and will fight Punk in a short while. Why? He has done nothing to earn the fight, and apart from his name being mentioned a few times he has not built up a story line to prove his worth. Apart from the fact he deserted WWE and went off to make some extremely forgettable movies, what has he done to merit such attention?

If I were Mr McMahon I would have never taken him back!

I have never found WWE and McMahon very consistent, but these two points seem to me to demonstrate how the plot seems to be finally lost.

....specifically that of WWE.

Am I missing something? We have seen CM Punk retain the WWE belt for over a year now, part of which has seen him unable to defend it for a month or more.

Not much more than a year ago I seem to recall a champion was unable to defend his belt and was stripped of it and a contest was arranged to find a new champion. Surely as Punk could not defend his belt should it not have been removed from him and after finding a new champion he would have to prove his worth once again to earn the right to fight for it?

Pro wrestling has storylines, not rules per say. Punk wasn't going to be out long enough to warrant ruining his storyline by pointlessly striping him of the title. He's a top guy.

Then there is the Rock. [..]what has he done to merit such attention?

Um, he's the freaking Rock. C'mon. No one else even comes close to his level of super-stardom.

If I were Mr McMahon I would have never taken him back!

This is why you're not Vince McMahon. Business is business and in wwe business means buyrate and the Rock brings buys.

I have never found WWE and McMahon very consistent, but these two points seem to me to demonstrate how the plot seems to be finally lost.

Pro wrestling has always been like this. It's not always about constancy or continuity. It's about what makes the most money.

Edited by Maxximus

Yes I said Mr Mcmahon. He's bloody rich and might like me. With luck he'll like me enough to lend me a few thousand.. you neve rknow.

http://www.wallpaperhi.com/thumbnails/detail/20120708/eyes%20cats%20animals%20funny%20persian%20cat%20mad%20cat%201920x1200%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_16.jpg