WWE injury crisis: What can be done?

Hosgood

As I'm in an incredibly good mood at the moment I thought I'd post what I think is an interesting topic. Post your own opinions and suggestions.

Listening to the LAW this week Jeff and Dan brought up an interesting question: What can be done to solve the injury crisis the WWE are currently going through. So far we've had Angle, Benoit, Edge, HHH, Lita, Scotty 2 Hotty and Rhyno - to name a few - all pick up serious injuries, and potentially damage the quality of the product with their absence.

Jeff, Dan and even Singhy's favourite journalist Dave Meltzer, all suggested solutions such as slowing down the in-ring action and making it more mat based. They also mentioned that steroids weaken your tendons which can cause injury problems, especially with half the roster on them.

I think the amount of times the guys wrestle a week is a serious problem. Not only does the amount of house shows they're doing increase their chances of picking up injuries, but they end up spending more time on the road which means less time to heal.

Steroids is obviously a problem which might be solved by having someone with a smaller build get a push *cough* Matt Hardy *cough*. This could encourage some guys to concentrate on their wrestling ability more than their physique. Then again Vince has a hard on for big guys.

O.k I've written too much so what are your opinions.

In principle I agree with most of what you've said there, except that unfortunately it generally hasn't been the steroid monsters that have been picking up the more serious injuries but instead it has been the best workers who have fallen victim such as Benoit, Angle and Edge. This only serves to give Vince an even bigger hard on for the bigger guys as the workers doing all of the entertaining in-ring action are the ones picking up injuries from wrestling four times a week, while the bigger guys who only sluggishly punch, kick and do one signature move at the end manage to stay more or less intact. I don't know what the answer is to be honest, WWE has been very unlucky so maybe if they reduced the number of house shows and just hoped for the best then that might help them recover.

I think it's the sheer volume of stuff, as for why those guys got injured. I mean Batista's was just sheer fluke, and Orton well thats just super unlucky, but when you look at Angle and Edge, they were working their socks off for like 15 matches on SD every week, coupled with say 2 house shows that week, in which they did the same, and 1 PPV a month.

I don't think its the style that kills them, I think its the sheer amount, the fact that the same guys got booked to do these things, shows that also.

I mean it isn't like WWE is short on guys who can have those type of matches, Angle, Edge, Benoit, Guerreros, Rey, Matt, RVD, Jericho, Booker, Haas, Benjamin, Rhyno, Tajiri, Cena lots and lots of guys, so technically management should spread the wealth, give the responsibility to different guys each week to have the big match, not constantly relying on the same people.

The WWE could easily work their way around all the current injuries as they have the talent at their disposal, but then again the writing team lack one major thing: common sense, meaning the company is going to suffer more than ever in coming months.

Now is really the time where they have to start building up younger and more exciting talent such as Matt Hardy and John Cena, and let the more capable men (Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho) start regularly headlining main events. Vince must also realise Triple H, Undertaker and company have lost the spark they once had, and its time for them to let the younger talent to take over and headline. Triple H really needs to take a break and get his body back up to how it was in 2000, he now seems to adapt a more sluggish and big man wrestling style, which is incredibly lethargic in comparison to his quicker pace in 2000, where he would bump all over the place for his opponent to entertain the crowd. The slower, older guys really need to take up a smaller wrestling role or take a break, and let others take the spotlight they have.

Also Vince needs to realise big men do not draw, and putting the likes of Mark Henry, Rikishi, Big Show etc. do not draw, and putting them all over Smackdown is only going to put fans off watching, as I'm sure most people watch the WWE for wrestling, and those mentioned provide very slow, sloppy and boring material that only makes me want to change the channel.

Its going to be tough for the WWE to provide good TV and be able to work around all these current injuries, and future prospects really do not look good.

Hey guys i've been told something in the chatrooms that has something about the injury crisis- t's not bad news in fact some of you may consider this good news. i was gonna do a new thread but since it relates to what is being disscussed in this thread, i thought i might as well post it here

of course this could be a rumour but hey- might be sweet if this turns out to be true

Taken From Prowrestling website

March 15, 2003

World Wrestling Entertainment has been hit in a big way with injuries as of late. A few major examples of this are Kurt Angle, Batista, Randy Orton, and Edge. Vince McMahon is strongly considering changing the style of the WWE ring in an effort to tone down the use of "big spots."

The fans have grown accustomed to a variety of higher impact matches in recent year, which is something that WWE realizes and is taking into account. Their plan is to slowly implement subtle changes in the ring style that may take some emphasis off the big bumps which have led to the recent increase in wrestler injuries.

WWE intends to address the injury situation right away, citing that it is their number one concern at the moment. It may be difficult for some of the high flyers in the company to adapt to the new style without losing something in the eyes of the fans, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

seems like vince is ready to swallow his pride and not just accept that only big muscle men will get over

aplogise if this has been already mentioned

Seeing all these guys dropping with injuries faster than you can say "pointless bump" is getting really irritating.

I suppose the simplest way to stop all these injuries occuring is to cut down their workload. I mean I'm pretty sure guys like Angle and Edge will probably have been overworked to some extent. Dunno if anyone remembers the Hitmans story of when he got injured he ended up being back in the ring far sooner than he should have been... Are they being rushed back from injuries?

To be honest though, I really would have to put it down to sheer bad luck for the WWE. And to change the ring style or whatever is surely stupid. How about giving the guys a bit of slack every now and then instead Vince?

"It may be difficult for some of the high flyers in the company to adapt to the new style without losing something in the eyes of the fans, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out."

Erm since when did WWE let anyone actually high fly, apart from Rey Jr?

Another problem that leads to injuries is how wrestlers are reluctant to take time off to heal because they might lose their spot on the card. Obviously if they drop so far down the card they might miss out on PPV bonuses they were used to. So they carry on working, making the injury worse, which can also lead to painkiller addiction. It'd be nice if WWE gave those guys who are PPV regulars, compensation for PPV bonuses they're missing while injured. This leads to the idea of a wrestlers union so it's very unlikely.