HMV To Go Into Administration - 4,000 Jobs Possibly Gone

Chris2K

Just saw this on the BBC News Twitter, I'm sure there will be more later:

"Looks like #HMV is about to go into administration - putting 4,000 jobs at risk" - BBC's @stephbreakfast

If anything needs to display the power of Amazon and its internet partners then this is it. The UK's biggest entertainment outlet for decades drops out of the fight and if those 4,000 jobs go then it's a horrible start to the year for those people.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for my mate Ian. First he got made redundant when Sanity went under, then he came to work with me at Music Zone and he got made redundant when that went under, and then he moved to HMV where he's now in danger of being made redundant again. He's told me that today they stopped refunds, gift vouchers, and all that gumph, which is pretty much the death knell for any retail company. They've called in Deloitte, which is pretty much exactly the same process I went through when Music Zone shut down.

It's a sh*tty state of affairs, but I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a record from HMV. All my stuff either comes from online, or my mate orders it in for me at the indy store he works in.

most people who do that wouldn't by shopping at HMV either it would be online, HMV failed to move with the times and was very late to the party, they should have pulled back there shops and focused on the more profitable online market which is cheaper due rent, they missed the boat and now they pay the price, sad for the workers but bad businesses fail strong ones are made even stronger evolution must be served

I know you don't understand the business world but if they did that they could have saved there company thus saving jobs as some jobs for people is better than no jobs for anyone. Perhaps if i said it slower would that help you understand I can if you like.

If.......you.....

That's quite the complicated "business world" point their Jay. Try not to go over too many people's heads with your financial savvy.

What Megs was saying that almost all of the jobs being lost were retail jobs, and moving a company online would have done nothing to save them. The guys who's jobs would have been secure in a move online will still be secure now, they'll just move on to another company, the CFO of HMV isn't going to be a regular in the doll line. Shop assistants losing their jobs because of bankruptcy is the same as shop assistants losing their jobs because of a restructuring.

Your weird 19th century oil tycoon character is impressing no one.

oil tycoon character

? not a character, i also disagree while the shop assistant will go a lot of head office jobs would have remained due to the help desk for web site. the jobs will shift to a more back office role not so many but still more than if it went under

Do people torrent that much film and TV stuff? I don't have the hard drive space, so I'm very above board with the legality of all my films and T.V. shows.

I have a terabyte hard drive full of main stream TV show's and movies that I've downloaded.

Family Guy, American Dad, The Big Bang Theory, An Idiot Abroad, Prison Break, South Park, Cleveland Show... and I'm not even scratching the surface. 100's of movies that I haven't even watched.

I'm weird with free stuff, get all ten year old girl giddy. So I just download stuff I don't even necessarily need or want, It's just nice to be able to have. Save it for a rainy day and all that.

So yeah, I'm definitely not helping stores like HMV.

I have a terabyte hard drive full of main stream TV show's and movies that I've downloaded.

Family Guy, American Dad, The Big Bang Theory, An Idiot Abroad, Prison Break, South Park, Cleveland Show... and I'm not even scratching the surface. 100's of movies that I haven't even watched.

PARTY AT MAGIC'S HOUSE!

I have 4Tb's full of stuff :lol