WWE Release - more to come?

The Fury

He's Trent Barretta. A slightly eccentric dude who is eternally getting beat up.
So he doesn't have a gimmick or character then, he's just a jobber who takes bigger bumps than other jobbers?

How can you get into or care about these guys? That's a serious question, too because I don't get it. How can you care about him when he doesn't matter or has no gimmick? How can fans be expected to get emotionally attached to these generic guys? Its shit!

Even if you're a lower card guy, I think you need to have a gimmick or some sort, and when I say gimmick I don't mean you need to carry a snake etc, but you need something. What does he have? What are his motivations or his aspirations? To wear indy tights, have an indy haircut and kill himself with big bumps for a small paycheque and not be appreciated for his risks by management? Great.

And he had a hand print on the back of his waist coat!

But seriously, if he was a video game nut, that's something, couldn't that have made his tights have the design of a video game controller on them or something like that, and had him shove a Wii up somebodies ass as a finish, you know what I mean? Anything! Its not hard to just give the guy a couple props to walk out with and some lame video game puns in his promos "It's GAME OVER for you, you tw@t!"

That's money!

To answer Belty's question, I liked him because he worked his a*s off bumping like a mofo to try and make the other guy's offence seem legitimately powerful. Although all the stuff you said in your post is true, sometimes I just like a guy because he takes better bumps than everyone else around his level. It's what got me onboard with Dolph to begin with, it's the first thing I loved about Mr Perfect when I was a kid (although granted I didn't know the terminology, I just loved how he took such a beating and kept going), and it's something that still tickles my fancy now. Hence my enjoyment of watching Trent get murderised on a regular basis. I'd take him over JTG as jobber fodder any day of the week.

See it's not just work rate for me, it's his willingness to make the other person look good, if you get what I mean? I've seen plenty of work rate matches where it's guys trying to get themselves over, but Trent always seemed to be all about making his opponent look as good as possible.