Comic Books for Beginners?

ScottyB

If you know a little independent comic book shop in your local area, then I always think it's much better to support the little Indy guy. If you've only got a Forbidden Planet or something like that nearby, you may as well buy from the web.

I'm now halfway through Avengers vs. X-men, and it's been alright so far. Nothing devastatingly awesome, but I guess they'll save that kind of stuff for the ending.

If you know a little independent comic book shop in your local area, then I always think it's much better to support the little Indy guy. If you've only got a Forbidden Planet or something like that nearby, you may as well buy from the web.

I'm now halfway through Avengers vs. X-men, and it's been alright so far. Nothing devastatingly awesome, but I guess they'll save that kind of stuff for the ending.

Pretty much my take on it. Not quite 12 issues worth of stuff in my eyes. Does lead quite nicely into Marvel Now though, so we'll see how it pans out.

Best bit for me was the Spider-man/Colossus/Magick issue. You got there yet?

Horowitz - my local comic shop is awesome. I've been going since I was about 13/14 and the guy will always put comics aside that he thinks I will like. He's knocked a couple of quid off a few trades that have had damaged covers as well. The only time I don't shop with him is if he doesn't stock what I'm after, and even I can just ask him to order it in. You just have to find one that actually cares about comics, rather than how much money they can make.

Absolutely in support of using your local comic shop whenever possible. And to reiterate my earlier point, if you do have one, go speak to him about the DC new 52. These geeks have an almost labrynthine knowledge of comics, so you can literally have a good chat about what interests you; be it fantasy, real life, epic sagas, gangsters, crime, super powers, humour, gore, topical issues from the news, adult or teen language, populist or niche, police procedural, zombies, vampires, aliens or sports. Seriously, anything.

Just tell him what you want to read and he'll find you something, and if it is New 52, then you can easily get issues 1-12 (we're only on 13 now).

And if you go on the subscription list then you can walk in there and he'll know your name, what you read, how much you're prepared to spend, and what you may be interested in. Not only is that disarmingly geeky it's also excellent, unparalleled service.

Big shout out to John at The Incredible Comic Shop in Swindon, whilst I'm on the subject. He's a total geek, and I'm sure he reads this.

Cheers!

Taken Hancocks advice and ordered Batman Year One. Part of me hopes I hate comics, because this could turn into a very expensive hobby.

I hear ya. I've just finished Batman Year one and I've already got a long list of other ones I wanna get. Such as The Long Halloween, Knightfall, The Killing Joke, Joker & I wanna start reading The Walking Dead as well.

So many comics & so little money :lol

My Batman tpb's are:

Gotham by Gaslight

The Collected Aventures vol 1

The Collected Adventures vol 2

Year One

The Dark Knight Returns

All-Star Batman & Robin

Knightfall

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Hush

RIP

Joker

The Killing Joke

Cheers!

If you want something much shorter and MUCH weirder, try out Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On A Serious Earth which is absolutely f*cking mental. Think Batman meets American Horror Story.

I'm about half way through that now. Man its really weird, I'm enjoying it though

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I must admit it was the cover that made me buy it, its awesome :lol

Edited by Edgehead

Yeah I've read that but I don't (yet) own it. I believe there's a take on one of the villains (can't remember which one, Mad Hatter maybe) that they're a pedophile.

Stunning artwork too.

Cheers!

Yeah, it's the Mad Hatter who's a pedophile in it. They also cast (like you, I think) the Sandman as a copraphiliac.

Yeah I've read that but I don't (yet) own it. I believe there's a take on one of the villains (can't remember which one, Mad Hatter maybe) that they're a pedophile.

Stunning artwork too.

Cheers!

Yeah, it's the Mad Hatter who's a pedophile in it. They also cast (like you, I think) the Sandman as a copraphiliac.

Bahaha, that description is the drizzling sh*ts.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
I've never been a comic book person but recently I heard there were a new batch of print and digital Masters of the Universe comics out. I bought them all, they were awesome so I started buying some others. I bought all the Ghostbusters comics and graphic novels, haven't read them yet. I also bought the Superman Earth One Vol 1 and 2 graphic novels, they were both f'n great. I got the Superman Black Ring Vol 1 and 2 graphic novels today which I'm hoping I get a chance to look at over the Christmas break.

IDW's ongoing Ghostbusters series is amazing, I've got them all barring issue 1 from my local comic book shop. Sme real great little Easter eggs in there for fans who watched The Real Ghostbusters too. Some really good long term arcs and the new series launches soon too, not to mention the new Mars Attacks The Real Ghostbusters mini series coming soon.

Only previous Ghostbusters comic series I liked was the 4 part Displaced Aggression story.

In other comic books, I'm so far behind on Smallville Series 11, and in Amazing Spider-Man I've got issues #694 onwards to read before I even think about reading #700

I've got a bunch of the Ghostbusters ones and both the graphic novels but I haven't looked at them yet because I want to get them all before I start. I was talking to the guy who owns the comic shop here where I get them and he said that Ghostbusters ongoing series is ending and they are rebooting everything in February.

Yeah, there's a story arc coming ups where the Ghostbusters disappear, and Janine, Kylie (from the Extreme Ghostbusters TV series) and two others take over while they try to find em. It's less a reboot, more of a continuation. It'll start with a new #1 issue though, but its a new twist to continue the series without having Ray, Egon, Winston and Peter in the boom for a while. Although if you read them, Egon kind of is, as Janines boyfriend is the same drawing as Egon was in Extreme Ghostbusters, lone ponytail and all.

I've really got to read #14 and #15 tonight. I've just downloaded ComiXology on my iPad and intend to buy #16 on it later to read :) including Vigo.

I do love the artwork style in the GB series too, and Tristan Jones minisodes in the back are great too.