Other Sports News

Saz

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nadal and Djokovic in the Australian Open today went almost 6 hours finishing almost 2am local time.

The longest Grand Slam final in history with the Serb winning in 5 sets 5-7 6-4 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 7-5

Even more remarkable when you consider that Djokovic was taken to 5 sets by Murray on Friday night.

Tennis players really are some of the most amazing athletes in the world.

It was a slugfest. Djokovic's improvement over the last 18 months is astonishing. Murray played his best ever match in the semi-final and was a whisker away from getting the win. It was a super-human effort. I think it proves he has closed the gap. Can he overtake?

As a Murray fan I'm hoping that this Semi-final will be to Murray what the Djokovic v Federer semi-final at the 2010 U.S Open was to Djokovic. where Djokovic proved (to himself?) he had what it took to mix it with Nadal and Federer. He couldn't win the tournament but it was the stepping stone for the run he's on at the minute where he has won 4 out of the last 5 Grand Slam's and countless other tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Lisbon's Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica and the new Juventus Stadium will stage the 2014 finals of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, respectively.

The decisions were made on a busy first day of the UEFA Executive Committee's meeting in Istanbul, and were among several appointments of hosts for a number of club, national team and futsal competitions.

Lisbon will hold the European Cup final for the first time since 1967, when Celtic FC defeated FC Internazionale Milano, although the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica did stage the UEFA EURO 2004 showpiece. The 2013/14 UEFA Europa League final will take place at the new Juventus Stadium in Turin. It will be the first time Italy has hosted a one-off final in the UEFA Europa League or its predecessor, the UEFA Cup.

The UEFA Executive Committee also awarded the organisation of the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Championship to the Czech Republic, while the 2016 UEFA European Futsal Championship final tournament will take place in Belgrade, Serbia.

UEFA

Kazakhstan's shooting team has been left stunned after a comedy national anthem from the film Borat was played at a medal ceremony at championships in Kuwait instead of the real one.

The team asked for an apology and the medal ceremony was later rerun.

The team's coach told Kazakh media the organisers had downloaded the parody from the internet by mistake.

The song was produced by UK comedian Sacha Baron Cohen for the film, which shows Kazakhs as backward and bigoted.

The original Borat movie offended the Kazakh authorities Footage of Thursday's original ceremony posted on YouTube shows gold medallist Maria Dmitrienko listening to the anthem without emotion and finally smiling as it ends.

Coach Anvar Yunusmetov told Kazakh news agency Tengrinews that the tournament's organisers had also got the Serbian national anthem wrong.

"Then Maria Dmitrienko's turn came," he said. "She got up on to the pedestal and they played a completely different anthem, offensive to Kazakhstan."

The spoof song praises Kazakhstan for its superior potassium exports and for having the cleanest prostitutes in the region.

The film Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, released in 2006, follows Baron Cohen's character, the journalist Borat Sagdiyev, as he travels to the US and pursues the actress Pamela Anderson.

The film outraged people in Kazakhstan and was eventually banned in the country. The government also threatened Baron Cohen with legal action.

Reports say the film is also banned in Kuwait

Credit: BBC.co.uk

Fantastic! :lol

• 6 months later...

Thread bump. Too lazy to make a new one, though it might deserve it.

One of the greatest sportsman of all time, is nothing more than the greatest cheat of all time, according to USADA anyway. And now we're finally gonna get to know all the details:

Cycling legend Lance Armstrong's team ran "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme the sport has ever seen" according to a report by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

In its report, Usada said Armstrong, 41, "engaged in serial cheating" associated with doping.

The report contains testimony from 11 of his ex-US Postal Service team-mates.

He has always denied doping allegations but has not contested Usada's charges.

Armstrong's lawyer has described Usada's report as a "one-sided hatchet job".

"We have seen the press release from Usada touting the upcoming release today of its 'reasoned decision,'" said Sean Breen.

"[The] statement confirms the alleged 'reasoned decision' from Usada will be a one-sided hatchet job - a taxpayer-funded tabloid piece rehashing old, disproved, unreliable allegations based largely on axe-grinders, serial perjurers, coerced testimony, sweetheart deals and threat-induced stories."

In an statement accompanying their report, Usada chief executive Travis T Tygart said there was "conclusive and undeniable proof" of a team-run doping conspiracy.

The organisation has sent its "reasoned decision" document in the Armstrong case to the International Cycling Union (UCI), the World Anti-Doping Agency and the World Triathlon Corporation.

In it, Usada say it has "found proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Lance Armstrong engaged in serial cheating through the use, administration and trafficking of performance-enhancing drugs and methods that Armstrong participated in running in the US Postal Service Team as a doping conspiracy".

It adds: "His [Armstrong's] goal [of winning the Tour de France multiple times] led him to depend on EPO, testosterone and blood transfusions but also, more ruthlessly, to expect and to require that his team-mates would likewise use drugs to support his goals if not their own.

"It was not enough that his team-mates give maximum effort on the bike, he also required that they adhere to the doping programme outlined for them or be replaced.

"He was not just a part of the doping culture on his team, he enforced and re-enforced it.

"Armstrong's use of drugs was extensive, and the doping programme on his team, designed in large part to benefit Armstrong, was massive and pervasive.

"Armstrong and his co-conspirators sought to achieve their ambitions through a massive fraud now more fully exposed. So ends one of the most sordid chapters in sports history."

The UCI now has 21 days to lodge an appeal against Usada's decision with Wada or it must comply with the decision to strip Armstrong, who now competes in triathlons, of his seven Tour de France titles and ban him for life.

Armstrong, who overcame cancer to return to professional cycling, won the Tour from 1999 to 2005. He retired in 2005 but returned in 2009 before retiring for good two years later.

Usada claim the evidence against Armstrong was "beyond strong" and stretched to more than 1,000 pages - which includes sworn testimony from 26 people, including 15 riders with knowledge of the US Postal Service Team and its participants' doping activities.

"It is as strong as, or stronger than, that presented in any case brought by Usada over the initial 12 years of [its] existence," it said.

Among the former team-mates of Armstrong's to testify were George Hincapie, Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis, who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title for failing a dope test and was recently found guilty in a Swiss court of defaming the UCI for alleging they had protected Armstrong from doping claims.

Usada praised the "courage" shown by the 11 riders in coming forward and breaking the "code of silence".

It said: "Lance Armstrong and his handlers engaged in a massive and long-running scheme to use drugs, cover their tracks, intimidate witnesses, tarnish reputations, lie to hearing panels and the press and do whatever was necessary to conceal the truth."

Tygart added: "The riders who participated in the USPS Team doping conspiracy and truthfully assisted have been courageous in making the choice to stop perpetuating the sporting fraud, and they have suffered greatly.

"I have personally talked with and heard these athletes' stories and firmly believe that, collectively, these athletes, if forgiven and embraced, have a chance to leave a legacy far greater for the good of the sport than anything they ever did on a bike.

"Lance Armstrong was given the same opportunity to come forward and be part of the solution. He rejected it.

"Instead he exercised his legal right not to contest the evidence and knowingly accepted the imposition of a ban from recognised competition for life and disqualification of his competitive results from 1998 forward."

Usada confirmed that two other members of the US Postal Service team, Dr Michele Ferrari and Dr Garcia del Moral, have also received lifetime bans for their part in the doping conspiracy.

Three further members - team director Johan Bruyneel, a team doctor Dr Pedro Celaya and team trainer Jose Marti - have chosen to contest the charges and take their cases to arbitration.

Tygart also called on the UCI to "act on its own recent suggestion for a meaningful Truth and Reconciliation programme".

"Hopefully, the sport can unshackle itself from the past, and once and for all continue to move forward to a better future," he added.

Credit: BBC Sport

Looks like there could be more on this still to come.

It's a shame because I loved the idea that he could conquer cancer and come back to win the Tour De France I also loved the seven times champion thing as it made me get in to cycling to see if he could do it again. Lance was a role model and a hero to many, his reputation is now damaged beyond repair. Also the fact that he is not contesting the charging looks really damning I wish it was not true but it is looking more and more likely despite him denying it. The headline in the mirror is brilliant and will stay with him forever.

I cant actually find it on the net to quote it exactly but it said something like not only did he take drugs but he is also a drug pedlar with the pun to do with a pedal on a bike. The guy reviewing the newspaper said exactly what i was thinking and actually stated that as with Paddy pantsdown and Eric Cantana and the Sardines, Lance will now also be know as the drugs Pedlar. It's better with the actual headline but i cant find it online to quote it.

Laura Robson is continuing her U.S Open and post Wimbledon success by becoming the first British female tennis player to reach the final of a WTA tour even since Jo Drury in 1990 and if she can win, she will be the first winner since Sara Gomer in 1988. She knocked out Zheng Jhi and a few other home favourites too.

Come on Laura!

London buses and all that. You wait 22 years for one and you get 2 in 3 weeks. Heather Watson into the final of the Japan Open. Hopefully she can go one further than Laura and win it. It's good times for British tennis at the minute.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a baseball fan at all really, but in 2001 when I was living in Tempe, Arizona, I got a bit swept up in World Series fever because the Arizona Diamondbacks went to game 7 against the Yankees, and then pretty much down to the final ball thrown, to get the victory.

I still don't know the rules, but I knew them then!! :D. If my memory serves me, Diamondbacks were batting, and it was the last ball of the game. They had one player on each base and they were 3 points behind. On this final ball, their batter had to - HAD TO - hit a home run so that him and those 3 base-people could run around the pitch and get their 4 points. He wasn't a star batter, but he was a pretty good one.

Needless to say, the kid twonked the ball in to the Grand Canyon and Diamondbacks won.

Great memories. Haven't watched baseball since, it's surely all downhill from there.

Cheers!

Didn't know where to put this simple question, but I suppose here is good enough. Back when Peter Schmeichel joined Manchester City in 2003 what was the reaction from United fans? Were they up in arms because he's a United legend or were they not bothered as he was at the end of his career anyway? I was watching football at the time but I was too young and dumb to really know.