Women's Wrestling

Keegan

Hello,

A friend of mine has just started writing for The Sharp Shooter Press website and decided to address a subject close to his heart, the state of Women's Wrestling, to kick things off. It's a three-part series, I've only enclosed the final one because uno and due are inside Act III.

Enjoy and discuss. Thank you: http://sharpshooterpress.blogspot.com/2011/11/state-of-womens-wrestling-part-iii.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Knockouts Gauntlet on Impact was MOTN? The mind boggles.

Bad example to try to make your point with.

Its nice to think but I dont think the Knockouts' success is really a sign of anything to come, since TNA have been ignoring the signs for 3 years now.

Toyota vs Inoue is great though, everyone should watch it.

I am Keegan's mentioned friend that wrote the article.

About the gauntlet, I try to reference things fresh in the mind and in my opinion it was the best match on Impact. Which isn't saying a lot, I didn't find it to be loaded with great matches. But, it was something different.

If TNA were intelligent, they would get full steam behind the Knockouts, will they? With some of the rumors I've heard, doubtful. But it would be intelligent and make them some money.

I appreciate the comment, they're welcome on the blog as well.

Fair enough. I should admit that its not like I watched Impact, only the women's match, so for all I know it could have been MOTN, but I found it dreadfully poor, like most KO matches really.

As far as TNA getting behind them, well, no. The women have always been their best ratings draws and they've never given them sh*t. Gail Kim wanted desperately to stay and asked for some money, they wouldnt give it to her and she had to leave. They chose Bubba the Love Sponge over Awesome Kong. Taylor Wilde had a second job they were paying her so little. Daffney had to sue TNA because they wouldnt pay her medical bills as agreed after she did all of the dangerous hardcore spots with Abyss they asked her to. Both Roxxi and ODB were so successful that TNA fired them for not looking like Barbie dolls.

TNA have never been able to grasp the reality of their success. Certainly not to the point of not treating them like sh*t. So I'm not sure I'd expect them to get "full steam" behind them, whatever that even means.

Yeah, the issues I've read about were horrible. I stopped watching TNA for around five or six months because of all that floating around. They have been a bit on the stupid when it comes to paying those who get the ratings and highlighting them on their show.

There's hope...little...but some. Do I think they'll turn? Not by themselves, if Spike were to push the issue and heavily insist on it? Only way it will happen. I have my fingers crossed, but don't have my hopes up.

The knockouts for me lost any sense of credibility (which if I'm honest they didn't really have before bar Tara and Mickie James) when Velvet Sky became champ.

I mean, I could just about stand to watch Mickie take on Maddison or Angelina love who are both just about average in the ring but at least know all the basics and sell for their opponents. Velvet is just awful, especially for someone who has been with TNA for 5 years.

Velvet isn't bad at all. Ragging on her because of her breasts is kind of silly, she does has talent. Not the best wrestler in the world but she is far more talented in the ring then some give her credit for.

:lol

To be honest, I thought The Beautiful people as a tag team (heel) were right up there with Laycool. I think Velvet comes across better when shes trying to mean than nicey nicey.

BP > Laycool by a great deal. Velvet is doing well as a face right now I believe. She's showing she can do both quite well. But, if we were to talk about someone who is currently useless in the ring we should talk about Kelly, Bellas, and what not.

I wouldnt put TBP above LayCool, per se, but thats pretty unfair to me since I wouldnt put most anything above LayCool. But yeah TBP were an awesome team in their day and when I say they were the best thing about TNA that isnt meant disparagingly. They were great as heels.

Kelly and the Bellas arent useless. Kelly just had those three great PPV matches, for starters. The Bellas are great fun as asskicking heels.

The Bellas don't belong anywhere near the ring..and while Kelly has improved...For as long as she's been there not too much. She's being booked as this fragile face that has tantrums and cries....but her move set is usually that of an Austin-esq brawler? Doesn't work well.

Look at those PPV matches, Beth can get a watchable match out of anyone. She's definitely approved, but she and the Bellas...they don't provide much in the ring.

Kelly Kelly has a Steve Austin-esqe moveset.

Kelly Kelly...has a Steve Austin-esqe moveset.

Hell, Austin coming back to spank people on the butt and give them the Stinkface sounds like 100% money.

She doesnt have a brawler's moveset at all. She brawled with Beth whenever she was pissed that the Boobs had beaten her up or humiliated her or screwed her out of something. Thats a revenge-seeking babyface. Her moves are butt-spanking, the Stinkface, and...well, the Tarantula for a while. Her finishers are the Rocker Dropper and rollups. I dont see Steve Austin personally.

And she's NOT booked as a fragile girl who cries. At all. The HEELS call her that and it isnt true, because they're the heels and they're wrong. She proved it isnt true every time they fought and Kelly took all their ass kicking and still pinned them every single time, so much so that they had to resort to cheating to take her title.

Kelly isnt fragile, nor is she Steve Austin, she's John Cena. She's the babyface ace that the heels say sucks in the ring, people believe them, and then she proves herself in the ring and wins in the end. Kelly/Beth was Cena/HHH if Hunter had screwed him out of the title at Backlash.

The Bellas are inconsistent, like all Raw women are, but they hit more than they miss and their ass kicking bitches gimmick carries them over the line.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

I popped for that, if only because I never thought of that.

Also, I forgot to mention this, but "well Beth can carry anyone" as a response to their PPV series is just ridiculous. Because, well first of all, she cant, and more to the point Kelly freaking brought it in those matches. She worked her ass off and made that sh*t work just as much as Beth.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

I think a lot of it has to do with Beth, I watched those matches. Those were by far Kelly's best matches. But, I'm not going to jump on Kelly's bandwagon anytime soon. Kelly has awhile to go before coming a good worker..But, I'm probably spoiled from watching a lot of Shimmer, WSU, Ice Ribbon, JWP, Pro Wrestling EVE..etc.

Velvet isn't bad at all. Ragging on her because of her breasts is kind of silly, she does has talent. Not the best wrestler in the world but she is far more talented in the ring then some give her credit for.

And with one quote you became dead to me....

We're all allowed to have opinions, is she the best in the world? By no means, is she the worst? By no means. I try not to trash on anybody for no reason. There's things I believe she could benefit by working on, but that's almost any worker

Kelly Kelly has a Steve Austin-esqe moveset.

Kelly Kelly...has a Steve Austin-esqe moveset.

Hell, Austin coming back to spank people on the butt and give them the Stinkface sounds like 100% money.

She doesnt have a brawler's moveset at all. She brawled with Beth whenever she was pissed that the Boobs had beaten her up or humiliated her or screwed her out of something. Thats a revenge-seeking babyface. Her moves are butt-spanking, the Stinkface, and...well, the Tarantula for a while. Her finishers are the Rocker Dropper and rollups. I dont see Steve Austin personally.

And she's NOT booked as a fragile girl who cries. At all. The HEELS call her that and it isnt true, because they're the heels and they're wrong. She proved it isnt true every time they fought and Kelly took all their ass kicking and still pinned them every single time, so much so that they had to resort to cheating to take her title.

Kelly isnt fragile, nor is she Steve Austin, she's John Cena. She's the babyface ace that the heels say sucks in the ring, people believe them, and then she proves herself in the ring and wins in the end. Kelly/Beth was Cena/HHH if Hunter had screwed him out of the title at Backlash.

The Bellas are inconsistent, like all Raw women are, but they hit more than they miss and their ass kicking bitches gimmick carries them over the line.

Her using the stinkface is well...it stinks...And butt spanking...Yeah..

I was meaning having to see her throw weak right hands and thez pressing people. She did cry and throw a temper tantrum recently, that did happen...

What you described was nothing but a classic heel/baby storyline...in an angle which she did like I said above cried and threw a tantrum. I don't blame her for that, it would have been cool if creative had her refuse to cry and scream out in the Sharpshooter and instead look defiant.

A lot of it does go to creative and what not, but I still think she has a long way to go. As I've said she's been improving and I hope she can keep it up.

Edited by TheRealSmoothG

We're all allowed to have opinions, is she the best in the world? By no means, is she the worst? By no means. I try not to trash on anybody for no reason. There's things I believe she could benefit by working on, but that's almost any worker

In my opinion anyone who thinks that Velvet Sky has any redeeming qualities is an idiot, so what are you going to do.. /sarcasm

In my opinion she's the worst thing I've ever seen in the terms of a "professional". Especially someone who has been working in the second biggest company in the US and worked with some seriously good female talent. After 5 years she still has no idea of in ring psychology at all, she never sells, she has one of the most limited repetoires I've ever seen, she does a horrible job of putting anyone else over.

Now, I'll admit I haven't seen any BP stuff but if even Jimmy can't bring herself to praise her in ring work then she's a bucket of crap never mind what she was like as a heel on the mic. The fact that she's a champ NOW and not back then is a perverse joke really.

Velvet is far, far from the worst pro wrestler of all time. She's not even the worst Beautiful Person. She's not great anymore but she's not a bucket of crap either.

What you described was nothing but a classic heel/baby storyline...in an angle which she did like I said above cried and threw a tantrum. I don't blame her for that, it would have been cool if creative had her refuse to cry and scream out in the Sharpshooter and instead look defiant.

If you're talking about the Sharpshooter spot, then God, of course she cried. It hurts! You'd really rather she no-sold it?

I honestly dont remember any tantrum, unless maybe you mean the couple times she went after Beth screaming her head off but again, thats a babyface seeking revenge for something (and screaming too much), not throwing a tantrum.

Since you mentioned the Sharpshooter spot, actually, this is probably the thread so I want to say that the Boobs prattling on about crying all the time is a creative miss-step just as bad as Cody going into paper bags. Gives me the sh*ts.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Since you mentioned the Sharpshooter spot, actually, this is probably the thread so I want to say that the Boobs prattling on about crying all the time is a creative miss-step just as bad as Cody going into paper bags. Gives me the sh*ts.

Just to throw my two pence in, this, this, a million times this. Why they asking folks if they're gonna cry when they haven't even roughed them up yet? Now if they beat the p*ss out of Eve (or whoever) and THEN ask her if she's gonna cry, that at least makes sense, but why are they so bothered with making people cry anyways? What happened to just showing they were better wrestlers than all the stick figure barbie wannabes?

Pay attention WWE, there's only so far putting Nattie and Beth in THOSE dresses will get you.