Should Teachers Be Allowed To Make Physical Contact With Children?

Jamster26

I was motivated to start this thread, after watching the news last night. Basically, they were talking about the alarming amount of unemployed young adults there are.

A different point that really but the one thing I noticed, when I was in school, not three years ago, was the rediculous amount of discipliness (?) pupils. I speak from experience, a one hour detention does nothing to the student. That was proven time and time again when I was at school. So why not bring back the physical contact?

Well all know the saying, actions speak louder than words. Imagine if a teacher clipped a student on the back of the head instead of telling him / her to "pack it in", to "sit down", to "do their work". I think it would generally have the right effect. It would make them think twice about misbehaving in future, concentrating in class and getting a job when they leave. Because allot of the time, it isn't really that the kids are too "thick" to get a job; it's that they don't listen, don't take it seriously.

What I'm saying really is, that if school kids were given harsher punishments, from an early age, the amount of unemployed, in my opinion, would reduce significantly.

Not saying that there wouldn't be problems, at first it may come as a surprise, to see a fellow student smacked on the head, but in time I genuinly think even the most undisciplined kid, would make a better success of their career, with this punishment back in the frame.

What do you think?

I think a teacher should be able to restrain a child and fight back if they are attacked AND the Government getting behind teachers and giving them a little more power in the class room.

I don't think we should return to the horrid fear of physical retribution from a teacher, just more powers.

You know, all parents signing a waver saying things like if their kid brings their mobile phone to school then the school has the right to remove the chip and sell it for extra money, things like that.

Plus, they probably paid for the phone in the first place.

Having said that, I do largely agree with Saz in that they have a right to not be threatened by students. But no to physical abuse as punishment, and I dont see a significant correlation between receiving physical punishment as a child and unemployment as an adult.

you're already fighting an unwinnable battle if you have 'no contract/no phone' style policy. The majority of kids and parents that would sign it generally dont themselves into trouble, and those that wouldn't are generally supported blind by their parents. If that policy is to work it needs to come directly from from the government and be punishable by a fine or something that actually means it's not just an empty threat from a handful of schools.

as it stands we've let standards slip for so long that kids genuinely feel it's their right to have a phone. I'm not trying to turn this into a 'how far society has fallen' rant, but reality TV and the glorification of being unemployed does have a lot to answer for. sure you get kids who have decent parents and who know they have to work, but there is a growing sub-culture in schools who think that something will 'happen' when they leave school that means they'll be set for life without having to work. One lad i was trying to help on Tuesday said he didn't want to go on the dole, but also didnt want to get a job, his line of work was going to be "shooting Pakis". An unfortunate job description as A) we arent even at war with Pakistan and B) he won't have decent enough grades to get in the army.

Re-instating powers to allow teachers to restrain pupils is not a magic cure, it might help some kids, but there's too many kids who think they're untouchable, and that opens up teachers to being accused of assault, and knowing some of the parents round here they'd support their kid blind, regardless of the situation.

This touches close to home for me. My 10 year old son is ADHD and OCD severely and has violent outbursts on a weekly basis. He is in a classroom where restraints are not only preferred but they are neccessary. His teacher is a former warden of our prison in the area and he has worked wonders with my son. He is now listening and learning and focusing.

We had corporal punishment when I was at school, and it worked. It was only administered by form heads or Heads of Department though, and it was exclusively in a private office with another form head or HOD present. You could even request your parents be present. I still think it was mostly the perp walk to and from the office that put people off and made them behave.

Our teachers were allowed to physically expel children from the classroom if they wouldn't leave when asked, and I can't see a problem with that. No kid I knew would take a swing at a teacher because it'd be police corporal punishment then.... and you needed a pillow to sit for a week after that, and it still hurt. Some people needed stitches from the police doctor.

On the other hand, teachers clipping kids around the ear is inappropriate, and beating kids hands with a ruler so they write right handed is bullshit but that shit has happened in the past and shouldn't be allowed to return.

beinging back corporal punishment in this day and age will not work. It may have worked in the past, but it'd basically be a knee-jerk reaction to try and curb a problem that will take years to solve. Physical pain is not enough of a deterrent, half the kids that earn corporalpunishment would probably run away before getting it anyway. They need taking to an army boot camp for a weekend. And not the pussy army courses that schools run, but proper army courses where if you don't fall in line you know about it.