ERC Heineken Cup 2011

Phil

Anybody been watching? Had the first weekend of pool matches and already had some cracking contests, only managed to watch three of them because of the way they're televised, but they were all really good.

results from the first weekend:

Harlequins 25 - 17 Connacht Rugby

Racing Métro 92 20 - 26 Cardiff Blues Stade

London Irish 19 - 20 Edinburgh Rugby

Aironi Rugby 12 - 28 Leicester Tigers

Montpellier 16 - 16 Leinster Rugby

Scarlets 31 - 23 Castres Olympique

Ospreys 28 - 21 Biarritz Olympique

Ulster Rugby 16 - 11 ASM Clermont Auvergne

Munster Rugby 23 - 21 Northampton Saints

Glasgow Warriors 26 - 21 Bath Rugby Firhill Arena

Saracens 42 - 17 Benetton Treviso Vicarage Road

Tolouse 21 - 17 Gloucester Rugby

Unfortunately there were 3 games that, in my eyes, ended up being won by the wrong team. Leinster, Munster and Tolouse all benefitted from some pretty lax refeering to benefit late on the in the game.

Montpellier were pinged for hands in the ruck, which I thought was harsh as Remy Martin was on his feet when he stole the ball. Penalty gave Leinster the opportunity to draw the game, which they didn't deserve.

Tolouse benefitted from a horrendous forward pass to score late on and win against Gloucester.

Munster were constantly allowed to collapse the scrum without being penalised, despite Northamptom having complete domination. Saints were also on the wrong end of a decision from a maul on about 79 minutes, which then led to another unpenalised scrum and 41 successive phases of play by Munster, which contained numerous unpunished infringements, before scoring a game-winning drop goal.

all that said, the scoreboard doesn't lie, so lets hope thats the end of the questionable officiating, aside from those decisions I thought all three games were belters. Gorgodze is my new favourite for player of the tournament. If he wasn't Georgian he'd have 100 caps by now, surely!

Archived