UFC on FOX 1: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos

John Hancock

Looks like UFC have decided to celebrate my birthday with the biggest fight of the year. I'm absolutely pumped for this one, seriously, just counting down the days excited.

Fight's going to be coming from sunny Anaheim, California and the way it's going to work on T.V. is a tad odd. Officially, there's only one fight on the entire main card, and a f*ck load of prelims. If the fight goes less than the full five rounds, they'll show as many of the prelims as they can to make up the time.

Americans can watch the main event on FOX and all the prelims either on Facebook or on FOXSports.com. The last two prelims will air live on FOX Desportes, which is FOX's Spanish language sports channel. For the Brits, there's not yet been an announcement on any legal way to actually watch the main event, but all the prelims will be on Facebook and FOXSports.com.

Dana White's still promising that the event's going to be on TV in the UK, but, the problem is, ESPN has exclusive rights to live UFC events in the UK, but FOX only wants to work with Sky Sports, because they're owned by the same people. Hopefully this gets sorted over the coming week. Dana's already said that, when the ESPN deal runs out next Summer, he wants to jump to Sky Sports, so this could be a difficult one.

Anyway;

FOX Card

Heavyweight Title - Cain Velasquez © vs. Junior Dos Santos

Facebook / FOXSports.com / FOX Desportes Card

Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson

Pablo Garza vs. Dustin Poirier

Facebook / FOXSports.com Card

Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Darren Uyenoyama

Ricardo Lamas vs. Cub Swanson

Clay Harvsion vs. DaMarques Johnson

Robert Peralta vs. Mackens Semerzier

Paul Bradley vs. Mike Pierce

Matt Lucas vs. Aaron Rosa

Alex Caceres vs. Cole Escovedo

It was announced a couple of weeks ago, the show's on Premier Sports in the UK (SKY channel 433) :).

Why FOX have demanded that no other fight but the Velasquez/dos Santos can be televised is the most bizarre decision I've heard, and not really a good sign for the future working relationship of FOX and the UFC.

EDIT: Just to confirm I've not gone mad:

"Premier Sports are delighted to announce our latest UFC offering. The massive heavyweight title fight featuring Velasquez vs. Dos Santos on Sunday 13th Nov, 2am will be live and free-view only on Sky channel 433"

Edited by Chris2K

Ah there we go then. That's really weird though, because the UFC website is still saying the main even is unavailable in the UK. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm saying either Premier Sports or the UFC look to be on the path to f*cking this one up publicity-wise.

Is Premier Sports a regular channel on Sky, or isn't one of those fancy add on ones like ESPN? I'm going to be in the UK for this one, and I'd rather watch on TV than on some dodgy stream that cuts out every round.

I'm not sure what to make of this Fox deal at all from our standpoint (both as established fans, and moreover as Brits), primarily because I've decided I'm too old to care about growing of the business etc that I used to think about vis a vis wrestling- that's someone else's problem. All I'm bothered about these days is what I want to see & how easy/convenient it is for me to do so.... kinda like the dreaded "casuals" that these industries seem to have to pander to. As such, I'm quite put out that the main got bumped from the PPV, and particularly that the semi-main is going dark. No-one can convince me they couldn't have bumped that one to either the Munoz-Leben or Shogun-Henderson card. But that said, the one thing I do still care about is the fights......

The main is fantastic and a must watch, primarily due to the fact that each man is far & away the toughest opponent the other has faced to date. No-one has seriously tested JDS's sprawl. That's interesting. The most similar pure striker to JDS in the UFC (also taking stuff like range & leverage into account) is Kongo, who has tested Cain's chin, and the champ passed that test with flying colours. I assume Dos Santos has a strong active guard based on his camp, but it's a big question as to whether he can keep an NCAA Div I wrestler with Velasquez's cardio at bay long enough to mount anything serious from his back. I'm picking Velasquez in the 4th... but Dos Santos could make that look foolish.

Actually, I get why they're not putting the semi on Fox: Bendo is more accomplished than Guida pretty much everywhere (I assure you this isn't the Guida hate talking... although it is in a way, because Guida's overrated & that's why). Bendo should win, and they probably don't want to turn off any new viewers with his cringeworthy post-fight bible-bashing that the crowds completely no-sell. Which is fair enough.

I love Pablo Garza, he's awesome. But "The Scarecrow" starts as the underdog for me- I think Poirer can get inside his reach & cause damage. So..... Garza by crazy unorthodox sub :p .

You forgot about Henderson's pre-fight bible-bashing and the during-fight bible-bashing. I personally don't know why God is spending his time picking one fighter to win over the other, but maybe He's an MMA fan. That said, if I were God I'd try my best to ignore anything that's going on in Nevada so I can limit my disappointment in the human race.

I just think that if you're going to run a Lightweight title bout on pay-per-view then you do all you can to sell it to people, and this is a golden opportunity to do that. I do agree that Henderson can be boring, but we all remember the Pettis fight which shows that he can have an incredible fight with the right person and Guida fits that bill.

They usually say that the Fight Nights will be free to air on Setanta here but it hasn't happened the last few times, I just added Premier Sports to the other channels and it worked out fine. I mean they might sort it out this time because of how big the fight is but if they don't, and people don't know, just add the channel and it should be fine.

Whole situation is pretty annoying, no clue why ESPN don't run it.

I just think that if you're going to run a Lightweight title bout on pay-per-view then you do all you can to sell it to people, and this is a golden opportunity to do that. I do agree that Henderson can be boring, but we all remember the Pettis fight which shows that he can have an incredible fight with the right person and Guida fits that bill.

Not forgetting his five rounds with Cerrone, although Cerrone could make a fight against a stuffed moose awesome. Dude dragged exciting fights out of Jamie Varner, for god's sake. Actually, I'm buying the not airing Bendo vs Guida for a mahoosive (potentially) audience more & more with each passing hour. Imagine if the first MMA fight you ever saw (in the modern era) featured a man with practically no offense. God, I hate Clay Guida.

Just realised Mackens Semerzier is on this card... as it hadn't registered that he was still around- looked fantastic against Wagnney Fabiano in WEC, then a big fat diddly squat since.

Results as they happen;

FOX Card

Heavyweight Title - Junior Dos Santos def. Cain Velasquez © via TKO (strikes) in the first round

Facebook / FOXSports.com / FOX Desportes Card

Ben Henderson def. Clay Guida via unanimous decision (29-28 / 30-27 / 30-27)

Dustin Poirier def. Pablo Garza via submission (D'Arce choke) in the second round

Facebook / FOXSports.com Card

Ricardo Lamas def. Cub Swanson via submission (head and arm triangle choke) in the second round

DaMarques Johnson def. Clay Harvison via TKO (strikes) in the first round

Darren Uyenoyama def. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto via unanimous decision (30-27 / 30-26 / 30-27)

Robert Peralta def. Mackens Semerzier via TKO (strikes) in the third round

Alex Caceres def. Cole Escovedo via unanimous decision (30-27 / 30-27 / 30-27)

Mike Pierce def. Paul Bradley via split decision (29-28 / 30-27 / 28-29)

Aaron Rosa def. Matt Lucas via majority decision (28-28 / 30-26 / 30-26)

Edited by John Hancock

Live reports are calling Henderson v Guida the best fight of 2011. Thanks very much for not showing it FOX.

Staying up to watch the Main Event as I've already had trouble recording a Premier Sports show tonight (some interview with Dana) because it said it was restricted, and I don't want to risk missing this.

EDIT: I stand corrected, well played FOX as it seems they're showing it now.

Edited by Chris2K

Oh yeah, for the UFC, this was one of the worst ways that fight could have gone. Every casual fan, in unison, just went "...was that it?". Cain's drawing power just got destroyed faster than his own face. I bet Dana's PRAYING Lesnar beats Overeem now. Dos Santos / Lesnar will be money, Dos Santos / Overeem... not so much.

But, for me, as a viewer, and as a big time Dos Santos fan, man, that was the best birthday present ever.

Having not heard anything else before the card started, I can only imagine that, after their steadfast refusal to show any prelims before or after the main event, they watched the Guida fight and realised it was so good it HAD to be shown and called an audible in the space between the fight finishing and the broadcast starting.

Hell of an audible.

Anywho, I think everyone was taken aback by the main being so short, but all the same it was a hell of a finish and I'm happy for JDS.

I picked Dos Santos to win but I'm pretty suprised it happened so quick. Henderson fight was pretty cool, awesome to see Guida totally outclassed like that, Ben/Edgar will be crazy. Henderson's TDD is amazing and Clay couldn't do anything at all, suprised one judge gave him a round.

Time for Pacquiao/Marquez.

I'm thinking the judge gave Clay the third round on the grounds that you could at least begin to make a case he almost choked Hendo 2 out with that guillotine/D'Arce thing.

Bonuses were pretty obvious;

Knock out of the night: Junior dos Santos

Submission of the night: Ricardo Lamas

Fight of the night: Ben Henderson vs. Clay Guida

Edited by John Hancock