Talk Whatever Online is becoming Deadicated Fans! Forum restructure is under construction ×

Addicted to the internet?

Claire

Just wondering if anyone here ever worries about the amount of time that they spend online ... :?

I ask because i sometimes think that im addicted especially as i can sometimes easily sit for up to 3 or 4 hours online between various forums, Facebook, Twitter, Wwe.com and various other wrestling sites as well as chatting to friends around the country via MSN or FB chat etc

I have to spend a lot of time online. If I'm in America, it's how I talk to my family, if I'm in England, it's how I talk to my friends. It's how I do my job and about 50% of what I do at university.

My recreational time online is pretty niche. Here, Facebook, Last.FM and BBC News are probably the only sites I go on at least once a day that aren't, in some way, making me money.

Oh, and I do a LOT of online shopping if that counts, but that's just because it's cheaper and I don't really have time otherwise.

The only way to find out if you are addicted it cut off your access to it. If it drives you f*ckin crazy, you're addicted, if it doesnt bother you, you're not.

I lost my web access for about 2 weeks a little while ago and I wasnt really bothered apart from not being able to download movies. On the other hand, my brother didnt have it for about 2 months and was on suicide watch.

I spend a lot of my time online, but, because I'm usually at work while I'm here doing the moderating, so in that context yeah, but I can spend weeks away without too much hassle, in fact whilst I was on holiday in Japan, there were days when I had the opportunity but was enjoying real life too much.

So, I guess my online behaviour depends on my free time.

I have a heavy reliance on it yeah, work demands mean I have to have e-mail access constantly. I use the net more than I watch TV at home, dunno if thats 'the norm' nowadays or what.

Not one of those people who check Facebook on my phone every 5 mins while I'm at the pub though. I find that a bit sad.

Does it count to your time online when you're watching TV episodes you've downloaded? Because then it's way more than it should be... to be honest, even without that, it's probably high.

Which is wierd because I check FB maybe twice a day at most, spend 5 minutes queueing episodes, maybe 10 minutes on Ebay, and the rest is pretty much spent here. But then maybe it's not as high as I tend to think, because it's usually about an hour a day online during the week. More at weekends, but not that much more. It was loads more when I was still playing MMO's, but I just don't get the time anymore.

The internet is a huge part of my life. We don't have TV at home - we've got a minimal Virgin subscription but I don't know where the V-Box is at the moment.

When he rings for PC help my Dad's stopped asking if I'm near my computer. Even if we're watching a film the MacBook will be on and at hand just in case I need to look up a bit-part actor. :P

I don't worry that I spend too much time online but I do worry about how I'd cope without it.

I spend about 10 hours online most days..Wouldn't say Im addicted though, Don't have a job so I'm at home most days and go online. Know people who spend all day watching TV and spend little time on the net maybe there addicted to TV? I'd spend less time online if I watched telly but can't stand the shows that are on watch about an hour or two a week(apart from football matches etc)