Best tunes of 2002

ChrisfromBirtley

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say I like listening a lot of dance music, but that's pretty much off topic and I'm here to tell you what my fave tunes of 2002 were :)

So, in no particular order, the ones that stick in my head as favourites....

Nelly and Kelly - Dilemma

Eminem - Without Me

Pink - Get the Party Started

Nelly - Hot in Herre

Oakenfold - Strry Eyed Surprise

Missy Elliot - Work It

Big Brovas - Nu Flow

Christina - Dirrty

P diddy - I Need a Girl

Oasis - Little By Little

I could probably keep going, but I think I'll leave it at that

Originally posted by emag

Dance music does suck, I cant stand it

Dont worry Seabass i give up, Its clear most of the kids round here cant even be bothered to even try and understand what im saying so ill give up from now on and maybe find a music forum which is slightly more open minded.

Matt I understand exactly where you are coming from, but in my post I said "the latest stuff" which indicated all the latest released stuff which we generally manage to hear on the radio, MTV, TOTP etc. is all absolute trash, and even you yourself have said that! Even you have to admit that quite frankly there is no point to it. I mean, take this DJ Sammy crap for example, you said you detested her because she isn't "proper" dance music, but she still manages to get classified as dance, so somewhere along the line something has gone wrong and peoples opinions of dance music have severly deteriorated (sp.) because otherwise crap like that wouldn't be classed as dance. All these "cliches" which are attached to dance music must be there for a reason, and many people must have noticed them for them to be remembered. Dance music is just like any other type of music in the fact that there are groups which sound the same, but that is bound to happen because people are incapable of writing their own stuff and being original.

I also have a wide range of music that I listen to which I think I have proven on serveral occasions when I listen to groups like Westlife, then Reel Big Fish, the System of a Down. I also listen to the radio on which they generally tend to play a lot of this "dance" stuff, AND my brother plays dance music rather loudly throughout the house. So yes I do listen to it, and I am not just forming an opinion on stuff like DJ Sammy!

Either way, at least you are getting a decent opinion out of me, instead of this "it sucks" thing, which you were complaining about before :P :xyx

Back On topic........

Will Young & Gareth Gates - Long & Winding Road

The Calling - Wherever You Will Go

Puddle Of Mudd - She Hates Me

Elton John feat. Blue - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Liberty X - Just A Little Bit More

Nickelback - How You Remind Me

DJ Sammy - Heaven

Atomic Kitten - The Last Goodbye

*Waits for flaming*

Originally posted by HSM

Sorry if i offended you Pete but the above quote explains EXACTLY why i never post my true opinions on music in this forum.

As soon as you say you like dance music round here you are swamped by all the schoolkids saying how it sucks. Of course they dont actually have a valid argument they just say "Dance music sucks but *insert generic guitar band here* rules"

Its obviously far more entertaining for them to create threads about how ugly Avril Lavigne is than actually have intelligent discussions about different genres of music.

Controversial? Nah just honest and forthright.

Thankyou and Goodnight :)

No problem Husim, I agree with everything you said, and Joanne's comment proves your point exactly, as does Emag's. In my opinion you had every right to say that!

Here's the deal people: Everyone has different tastes, and if you can't accept that, and can't refrain from putting someone down because of their musical tastes, then please, don't post.

Oh, and Cripp's reminded (ie: mentioned) me of another, Dreaming Of You was another of my favourites, too. :)

Originally posted by Jess O Mac

Matt I understand exactly where you are coming from, but in my post I said "the latest stuff" which indicated all the latest released stuff which we generally manage to hear on the radio, MTV, TOTP etc. is all absolute trash, and even you yourself have said that! Even you have to admit that quite frankly there is no point to it. I mean, take this DJ Sammy crap for example, you said you detested her because she isn't "proper" dance music, but she still manages to get classified as dance, so somewhere along the line something has gone wrong and peoples opinions of dance music have severly deteriorated (sp.) because otherwise crap like that wouldn't be classed as dance. All these "cliches" which are attached to dance music must be there for a reason, and many people must have noticed them for them to be remembered. Dance music is just like any other type of music in the fact that there are groups which sound the same, but that is bound to happen because people are incapable of writing their own stuff and being original.

I also have a wide range of music that I listen to which I think I have proven on serveral occasions when I listen to groups like Westlife, then Reel Big Fish, the System of a Down. I also listen to the radio on which they generally tend to play a lot of this "dance" stuff, AND my brother plays dance music rather loudly throughout the house. So yes I do listen to it, and I am not just forming an opinion on stuff like DJ Sammy!

Either way, at least you are getting a decent opinion out of me, instead of this "it sucks" thing, which you were complaining about before :P :xyx

Just a couple of points.

1)Jess i was not having a go at you or crticising yours or anyone elses tastes in music. Everyone can listen to what the hell they want it makes no difference to me. The point i was trying too make was with those people who just disgard Dance music by using the "It Sucks" comment, and lets be honest there are a hell of a lot of people who use this forum who have that opinion. I was actually attempting to put across the point that there is a lot more to dance music that what people hear in the charts, on the radio and see on TV. I am not telling people to listen to dance music im just trying to get them to be a little bit more open minded thats all.

2) I was trying to actually have a decent debate without the usual childish remarks but as usual most of the responses i got were "Dance Music Sucks" . Makes a change from everyone bitching about how they hate Avril doesnt it?

3) DJ Sammy is a he with a female vocalist :D

Lets just agree that the majority of people in here will never understand the point im trying to make because there not even prepared to listen to my point of view.

Now Jess i would appreciate it if you stopped following me all over these forums and responding to every one of my posts by trying to start an argument with me ;)

Originally posted by Joanne

you neednt talk HSM its not as if you havent critised anything before.

You still dont get it do you Joanne? :roll

If i criticise something i then to put across points why i am criticising it. Basing your entire argument around saying "Dance Music sucks" is not criticising its is merely mouthing off with your narrow minded opinion without any actual valid points to base your argument around.

I suggest you read over my posts again and try to understand what im saying before having a go at me.

I personally like everything I here on my local radio station, and hate the crap (my opinion) that Radio 1 churn out. If I had Sky, the only Music channel I would watch would be Smash Hits probably. As a GCSE Music student, I am aware that the word 'song' literally means 'a melody that contains lyrics', so all dance music can go, same with rap, hip-hop, jungle, garage etc.

And to be honest, I also prefer listening to music that doesn't focus mainly on electric guitars....

*waits for the next flaming*

We can sometimes get too bogged dwon with categorization. I'm as guilty as anyone for switching MTV Dance over and giving Kerrang that extra minute to see if something decent is going to come on but if a song is good enough it will make you sit up and take notice regardless of the genre into which it is catalogued (off in whose camper they were whacking?!). Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx and Prodigy are examples of groups who many people I know on the 'dance music sucks withou having to say why' bandwagon have liked. The problem for dance has been the number of covers peddled as dance music, like DJ Sammy or Kelly Llorena. The easiest way to do a cover seems to be put a heavier beat on it get a reasonably good-looking woman (or 'rammable' as I like to call them after a few drinks but immediatley before getting slapped in the face!) and churn it out. Good music is out there, we just maybe have to look harder for it than the mainsteram offers us, and while we may have general preferences we should still remember to give everything a chance rather than dismiss it out of hand before we truly evaluate it.

At risk of getting back to the topic though, I can't remember who said it but Cochise by Audioslave is a great one and I'd love to know how to be able to listen to more of their stuff and when the album is coming out, definitely one of my favoutrite songs of the year. Others include:

F**k Her Gently by Tenacious D ('Karate' was better but that's on the album only so not everyone will know that one!)

Spit It Out by Slipknot

Toxicity by System Of A Down

Disposable Teens by Marilyn Manson

Sonne by Rammstein

There are a few others but I won't go on. If any of those aren't quite form this last year excuse my ignorance but I was living in Madrid for quite a while at the beginning of the year. That reminds me, if you really do want to experience music that all sounds exactly the same then listen to pretty much ANY current Spanish pop group with a male lead singer, I swear they all have the EXACT same voice and certainly sing EXACTLY the same pish. I thought it was just a stereotype before I lived there for any sustained period of time but after nine months in total of being tortured by that I defy anyone to tell me with any conviction that it isn't true. End of rant.

Originally posted by HSM

Just a couple of points.

1)Jess i was not having a go at you or crticising yours or anyone elses tastes in music. Everyone can listen to what the hell they want it makes no difference to me. The point i was trying too make was with those people who just disgard Dance music by using the "It Sucks" comment, and lets be honest there are a hell of a lot of people who use this forum who have that opinion. I was actually attempting to put across the point that there is a lot more to dance music that what people hear in the charts, on the radio and see on TV. I am not telling people to listen to dance music im just trying to get them to be a little bit more open minded thats all.

2) I was trying to actually have a decent debate without the usual childish remarks but as usual most of the responses i got were "Dance Music Sucks" . Makes a change from everyone bitching about how they hate Avril doesnt it?

3) DJ Sammy is a he with a female vocalist :D

Lets just agree that the majority of people in here will never understand the point im trying to make because there not even prepared to listen to my point of view.

Now Jess i would appreciate it if you stopped following me all over these forums and responding to every one of my posts by trying to start an argument with me ;)

1. LOL, sorry, I know you weren't having a go and all that, I was just trying to make simple conversation and put across a point of view which maybe held by others on this forum aswell. :P

2. Awww, I like Avril.. sometimes

3. Shows how much I really care :D << don't take offence at that please, just messing about.

4. Not following you around.. if you would care to noticed I have been picking up a lot of people on what they have been posting recently, namely Jo, Emag, You, Bex... It just happens to be you I argue with because I disagree with your opinions :P (is scared to be flamed for that... wasn't meant in an arrogant way).

Anyway.. Back on topic, Chris2k, I liked the majority of what you posted aswell, except DJ Sammy, and Atomic Kitten.