Talk Whatever Online is becoming Deadicated Fans! Forum restructure is under construction ×

SmackDown Discussion Thread - Nov. 13, 2009 from Sheffield, England (#534)

TPIB

Venue

Sheffield Arena in Sheffield, England

(SmackDown was taped following ECW on November 10)

Confirmed Matches/Events

Non-Title: First Time Ever:

The Undertaker Vs. Chris Jericho

Intercontinental Championship:

John Morrison © Vs. Dolph Ziggler

Build To Survivor Series

Edited by TPIB

Just been past the arena tonight - it is packed from the looks of it.

Also.. my personal highlight of the night.

The doors opened 18:30 I believe.. a young (maybe not), lets say 'chubby' lass, on here own with a Wrestlemania 24 TShirt + wearing a replica belt wandering around the arena car park on her own.

Loving it :)

- CM Punk def R Truth. Taker v Jericho, Morrison v Ziggler and a Batista/Mysterio contract signing coming

- Natalya def. Mickie James with a sharpshooter after Layla & McCool distracted Mickie

- Finlay vs Drew McIntyre ended in a double DQ I think.

- Rey and Batista did a contract signing. Batista put a stip in that Rey can't sue him if Dave injures him at the PPV, Rey signs and throws the table on Batista and leaves the ring. Batista broke two chairs after the signings, wheels flew into the crowd.

- Ziggler/Morrison ended in a double count out.

- Beth Phoenix def a diva who's name I didn't catch.

- next week: Morrison vs. Miz in a 2 out of 3 falls match.

- They either filmed a Finlay/Mcintyre brawl or it just went on forever. Finlay was taken back by referees.

- Taker def Y2J. Show hit the ring and attacked Taker until Kane made the save.

- Taker def Punk in a casket match.

Wrestleview.

I assume the Casket match was a dark match.

Not overly excited on two non-finishes being booked, even though the double-DQ does make some sense, but Jericho/Undertaker (who would've thought these two had never faced each other until now?) should be great.

Also, Morrison vs. Miz in a two-out-of-three falls match for next week has potential to be really good also if their Bragging Rights match is anything to go by.

I don't know where you get your info but Morrison vs Miz next week in a 2 out of 3 falls match is not gonna happen.

And if you don't believe me, here is a screen capture from Smackdown:

http://www.thunderstruck.nl/smackdown13-11-09.jpg

Edited by StefanC

I got my info from post #3.

It was wrong. Its Ziggler. Still should be a really good match though, given Smackdown time.

Smackdown was actually really freaking good. Its been fairly ordinary for weeks now, but THIS was a good episode. Back to business here.

Jericho v Taker, I mean its still mind-boggling why they gave this away. But it was a really good match. Morrison v Dolph was pretty good, even with the non-finish. Mickie v Nattie was good for the 90 seconds they had, and Beth's squash was great as usual. I love the Smackdown Divas so much. Drew v Finlay was good, and I liked the angle. Punk v Truth was OK too, there was literally nothing bad here whatsoever.

I really liked the Rey/Dave segment. I really didnt like their first segment two weeks ago, but this was good. Dave bringing out the legal contract was such an asshole move, it was awesome. And then Rey refuses to be bullied and then embarrasses Dave by flipping the table on him. The visual of Dave under the table, legs flailing, while Rey calmly walks away, I loved that.

So yeah, everything on this show was good, nothing on this show was bad (apart from booking the Jericho/Taker match), so back to its usual standards.

Good point.

To be honest Undertaker is even less of a draw than Jericho. So I suppose it doesnt matter terribly in that way. But you'll never know if they could have drawn something for their 'first ever match' now, I guess?

But even just creatively, it was so wasteful. WWE have like, no new main event matches left that they havent done before. Before today I could think of two: Jericho v Taker, and Cena v Taker. Obviously the Cena match has more potential to draw, but again, they have no new matches left. They had a chance to actually have this match that we've legitimately never seen before, build it up properly, give Jericho time to promo Taker to death, etc.

Like its not the end of the world (nothing ever is), but its just frustrating that they've wasted something that could have been so much more.

While Taker/Jericho wouldn't draw, it would have been ideal for a semi-main match at say WrestleMania, seeing as it's likely most of the matches will be rehashes, it would have been something new and fresh.

Where as now we are virtually guaranteed on getting rehashes of feuds and matches we probably saw recently on B PPV's.

So yeah nobody draws, but at least give the fans something new, which at Mania we now probably won't get.

And Taker/Cena of course did happen on Cena's way up in 2003, but obviously hasn't happened as face/face. Then again I imagine that will be the excuse when we get Batista/Taker again at WM. Different because one is a heel.

While Taker/Jericho wouldn't draw, it would have been ideal for a semi-main match at say WrestleMania, seeing as it's likely most of the matches will be rehashes, it would have been something new and fresh.

Where as now we are virtually guaranteed on getting rehashes of feuds and matches we probably saw recently on B PPV's.

So yeah nobody draws, but at least give the fans something new, which at Mania we now probably won't get.

And Taker/Cena of course did happen on Cena's way up in 2003, but obviously hasn't happened as face/face. Then again I imagine that will be the excuse when we get Batista/Taker again at WM. Different because one is a heel.

Agreed.

On Taker/Cena, yes it happened in 2003, but back when Cena was an insignificant midcarder. Doesnt really count, as far as a marquee match is concerned. It hasnt happened since Cena became a star, is the point.

And its literally the only big match like that they havent done yet.

The thing with the Cena/Undertaker match from then was that it had an amazing build leading up to it (Cena in the graveyard, etc). If they could hype a rematch to that standard, with both men being, more or less, at the same level, it could be something special (and, if they turned Cena heel, it could be even better).