Hogan signs with TNA

Frank Botch

I would have thought the morale would raise

The opposite will happen over the long-term. The young kids all grow to hate Hogan because he's a selfish pr*ck, and if TNA spends too much time on him then I guarentee there will be a mass exodus of the talent in the company.

Of course, that's not to say that it'll last long. Hogan will no doubt end up leaving after a short while, if TNA isn't killed by him first.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but whats the main event at Turning point? AJ/Daniels/Joe i think they are trying this time

Oh they are trying I'll give them credit. It's just in logical terms it's not been a steady rise, it's just like they've thrown it together because they don't know what to do.

If he's in a kind of GM role, then any potential harm he could cause would be limited because he won't be wrestling, yet his star power will still be there. And I'm sure Hogan won't mind saying "xxx is great" because he won't have to lose to him, just say he's great.

If he's wrestling every month then hhmm. Although I'd doubt it to be honest.

Hogan cant wrestle full time. He just cant, he is physically incapable, so anybody expecting him to become a full time in-ring act is wrong. That more-than-likely kills any notion of him winning the TNA belt, and if he did, it would be such a short term thing it wouldnt matter.

I expect him to be an on-air authority figure of some kind who wrestles VERY occasionally.

If he's in a kind of GM role, then any potential harm he could cause would be limited because he won't be wrestling, yet his star power will still be there. And I'm sure Hogan won't mind saying "xxx is great" because he won't have to lose to him, just say he's great.

If he's wrestling every month then hhmm. Although I'd doubt it to be honest.

That's not the big picture though. Hogan wrestling every so often is fine - he can't afford to wrestle more than once or twice a year and that's the best way to spike ratings and buyrates because he's already proven that, over the long haul, he's worthless yet can actually be of benefit in tiny spurts. The problem will come in how much exposure he gets and how much power he is given. If he gains any control of the company, there's going to be an issue. I love how people are saying that Hogan is a creative genius when there is absolutely zero evidence of this at all - Hogan as booker? Really? That sounds promising to people? Why? It sounds like a horrible idea. Russo is the worst booker in the history of the world, but Hogan was just as much to blame for WCW dying, as was Bischoff. And if they DO get power, say hello to Ed Leslie winning the Legends title and beating all the midcarders. Granted, TNA has done a horrible job of building any stars, but I'd gladly take Eric Young over Ed Leslie, and MCMG over the Nasty Boys, and people are going to tune out in droves if this is what the product is reduced to.

Moreover, the fact that it is a PARTNERSHIP suggests to me that Dixie has once again proven how clueless she is by allowing Bischoff to come in and sweet talk his way into getting money from TNA and Spike TV for doing nothing. In that respect, I don't blame him at all; she's a complete moron and he's a smart con man. She has no clue what she's getting into. None.

Oh god yeah if Hogan books then I dread to think what will happen. But I guess ultimately whatever impact he has will depend on what he's doing, and as you mentioned, wrestling every so often and just giving his rub to the product is ideal.

Personally I can't see Hogan doing creative, simply because I can't see him caring enough. I mean at most I could see him doing it for a few months then buggering off cause he's bored.

Plus as crazy as he is, surely Hogan wouldn't just push his buddies, not now anyway. I mean he didn't so much when the XWF began, so I'd assume/hope he wouldn't now.

But yeah it really depends on what he's actually going to be doing. Whichever way you look at it, it's going to be interesting whatever happens. And it's publicity for TNA which is more than they've had lately.

I would agree. I can only think of this as a good thing for TNA. I can't think of any other signing they could have made that would have created similar interest or given them such a chance to attract those who are not currently watching wrestling regularly.

Oh Jesus Christ, because he is the biggest star ever, thats why! Stop being a goober and put aside your anti-Hogan bias and get real.

I love Hogan to death, but I can see all his faults, but for a company like TNA which is losing money hand over fist, cant get their own guys over or draw money, this is a good business decision, plus throw in Eric and all his business contacts and TNA have done one of the better things they could have done.

Or alternatively, the worst thing they could ever have done. But let's face it, they really had to take the chance. We have yet to see which way the pendulum swings.

Or alternatively, the worst thing they could ever have done. But let's face it, they really had to take the chance. We have yet to see which way the pendulum swings.

The first few shows will tell how this is going to turn out. It's either TNA's best move ever or car crash TV at it's best. I'm hoping for option 1.

It's a very one sided way of looking at it. Ratings did fall because there were some dumb decisions and with most of the top stars having creative control there was mayhem. But remember that WWE also hit the top too and took fans, so read a little between the lines.

True, but those decisions were largely made by Eric Bischoff..

Also Bischoff wasn't a one trick pont, the Death of WCW is very good at telling porkys. NWO and New Blood were two things he did...but haven't TNA been copying that anyway with the MEM, World Elite etc? So if you've seen it for the 801st time, Bischoff wasn't even involved.

Not to mention he was the guy who also pushed cruiserweights on a mainstream level.

Maybe one trick pony is a little harsh, but New Blood was essentially a rework of the NWO concept, as a lot of angles have been. Bischoff pushing cruiserweights is probably the best decision he ever made in WCW and likely the reason it lasted quite as long as it did.

Plus the idea that WCW would be alive today if it hadn't tried to be as big simply doesn't wash. They got that big. It wasn't like they failed and spent too much money. They were that big. What destroyed them was being naive financially and eventually creatively. You had so many guys, Hall, Nash, Hogan, Bret, Piper, Savage, Hennig, DDP, Giant, Luger, Goldberg, Sting all earning near or in excess of a 1 million a year with half of them having creative control. Basically made it impossible half the time to push others.

The DVD was talking about WCW when it was a brand name for JCP, not WCW as it became, so I suppose it's irrelevant anyway, except as an example of how expansion can be dangerous. The problem wasn't just creative control, it's that they totally blew it even when that wasn't an issue. Goldberg failing to cross a road from the police station to the arena comes to mind as a total screwup, as does Jericho and the door.

But TNA are barely surviving and they've been spending more and more money...and not making it back. Whatever happens with Hogan won't backfire if they've judged it correctly. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and don't lose the good things, but use Hogan's star power to highlight those good things to a larger audience.

What, so start booking decently? Bischoff, Russo and possibly Hogan...seriously? Maybe they've all learned something in the interim, but I'm not holding my breath. With this happening, TNA need guys like Cornette or Heyman to be totally, utterly in charge of booking so they can filter these guys.

Edited by etz

Hogan cant wrestle full time. He just cant, he is physically incapable, so anybody expecting him to become a full time in-ring act is wrong. That more-than-likely kills any notion of him winning the TNA belt, and if he did, it would be such a short term thing it wouldnt matter.

I expect him to be an on-air authority figure of some kind who wrestles VERY occasionally.

And this would be the best role for Hogan in TNA.

To Jay 2 the Funk: You said "Hogan can't wrestle for crap". Well I think Hogan is very underrated in the ring, sure he might not be able to have a technical wrestling masterpiece, but that was never Hogan's role in the first place.

Bischoff pushing cruiserweights is probably the best decision he ever made in WCW and likely the reason it lasted quite as long as it did.

Probably, but actually not even close. There's no way that pushing the cruiserweights, isolated into its own little branch, was a better single idea than the NWO and Goldberg and black and white Sting. It was a good idea to use them as he did and it certainly helped, but what you're suggesting is that WCW could have been as big for as long had the NWO not happened but the cruiserweights stuck around. Which is flat-out stupid. Take away the cruiserweights and WCW would still have been a huge success. That's not to say that they didn't contribute because they served to help the overall picture of what Bischoff envisioned. But the best idea he ever had? Not when the Hogan heel turn clearly proves otherwise.

True, but those decisions were largely made by Eric Bischoff..

I know...but what difference does that make? By point is they already have Russo booking, and loads of guys like Nash who were responsible for problems too. So bringing in Hogan and Bischoff is hardly bringing in a poison chalice to a brilliant working environment is it?

Maybe one trick pony is a little harsh, but New Blood was essentially a rework of the NWO concept, as a lot of angles have been. Bischoff pushing cruiserweights is probably the best decision he ever made in WCW and likely the reason it lasted quite as long as it did.

Lol I didn't dispute that the New Blood wasn't a rip off of the NWO. Course it was. But so is the MEM and Bischoff didn't have anything to do with that, so you're criticism of Bischoff being a one trick pony is irrelevant. And I agree with Mitch on the cruisers front. It was a great idea which complemented everything else, but in terms of his decisions with the NWO, pushing Goldberg and the streak, Hogan turning heel or even signing him in the first place, it ranks well behind.

What, so start booking decently? Bischoff, Russo and possibly Hogan...seriously? Maybe they've all learned something in the interim, but I'm not holding my breath. With this happening, TNA need guys like Cornette or Heyman to be totally, utterly in charge of booking so they can filter these guys.

But your assuming way too much. Everyone knows TNA need the likes of Heyman etc but it won't happen because Dixie Carter knows diddly squat about wrestling. But lets re-focus here. They've had Russo booking for ages, now when has Russo ever been a great booker? He'll argue in WWE but Vince basically picked his ideas and ran with them, so it's Vince's booking. Beyond that he's done very little. Where as look at the success Bischoff has had?

Sure he's made bad decisions too, but you can pinpoint most bookers, even Cornette, Vince and arguably Heyman for making dumb decisions. It's just Bischoff had one enormous budget, went power mad and got too arrogant. Completely different situation now. Yet we know, for a fact, he's made great decisions.

So IMO that already makes him a more excitment creative possibility (assuming he even does that of course) than Russo.

Probably, but actually not even close. There's no way that pushing the cruiserweights, isolated into its own little branch, was a better single idea than the NWO and Goldberg and black and white Sting. It was a good idea to use them as he did and it certainly helped, but what you're suggesting is that WCW could have been as big for as long had the NWO not happened but the cruiserweights stuck around. Which is flat-out stupid. Take away the cruiserweights and WCW would still have been a huge success. That's not to say that they didn't contribute because they served to help the overall picture of what Bischoff envisioned. But the best idea he ever had? Not when the Hogan heel turn clearly proves otherwise.

I meant after the obviously genius moments he had. As in, not a flash of brilliance, but a sound business decision. The attending crowd forgave the crappy upper card for a long time on the basis that at least the cruiseweights would have decent matches. That was the time he should have used to fix the problems, instead he made them worse, took off to Hollywood and France and just generally didn't give a toss.

Goldberg was brilliant, so was black and white Sting.... but they meant nothing to the company in the long run because the same guy who "created them", made them meaningless with ridiculous booking. That was a habit of his, hopefully he's changed.

As I said, it's not necessarily a bad thing, and we'll have to see how it pans out. I'm just a natural pessimist.

The only problem I see with TNA bringing in Hogan is that they need to be completely ready for it. Hogan has a huge fan base who are going to tune in to TNA to see him on it, however that nostalgia is going to wear off fairly fast due to his age and limited in ring ability.

So the way I see it, everyone in TNA now needs to step up their game. They're going to have a bunch of people who've never seen TNA before curiously checking it out over the next few weeks, and they need to deliver. Having the follow up to one of the greatest matches in TNA history (AJ/Joe/Daniels) as the main event of the next PPV could be a smart move if Daniels and Joe can live up to their former selves. But the rest of the card needs to be booked tremendously, they need to avoid the the rediculous multi-man X Division matches that while fun, completely burn out the crowd at the start of the PPV and make every other big move later in the PPV look less impressive, they need to put the older guys is with talent capable of hiding their flaws, and they need to stay away from any stupid overbooking.

TNA has improved a lot over the past few months, but it's still got (very easily solved) problems that need to be addressed. Personally I'd have made sure they were sorted first, *** you can really only play the "Hogan signs with TNA" card once.

To Jay 2 the Funk: You said "Hogan can't wrestle for crap". Well I think Hogan is very underrated in the ring, sure he might not be able to have a technical wrestling masterpiece, but that was never Hogan's role in the first place.

You think Hogan's underrated in the ring? Are you sure you didn't mean overrated?:?

When you look at what Wrestling was and is. Hogan's style..is pretty much perfect.

It's simple stuff and works great everytime.

If you like amazing technical masterpieces then you're in the small minority of wrestling fans; rightly or wrongly.