WWE 3-For-All Discussion Thread- June 15, 2009 from Charlotte, NC (#838)

TPIB

One person from SmackDown appearing on Raw to talk to his wife... yeah, wouldn't call that an argument for the brand split being worthless.

Its typical WWE title booking, switch the title every other month for little or no reason

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qwe6tk.png

WWE title changes per month.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does the brand split matter if a guy can just appear on whatever show he likes, whenever he wants.

As for the title changes, it's a bit of a joke. Between Cyber Sunday to Extreme Rules, the World Title has changed hands 8 times, the WWE Title has changed hands 6 times.

Compare that to last year, World Title changed hands 3 times, WWE Title changed hands once.

Year before, World Title changed hands 3 times, WWE Title changed hands 0 times.

Just seems to me that they change the title so often so they can pop a higher rating on the Raw after the PPV. Also, I find it makes the title a lot less meaningful.

Just seems to me that they change the title so often so they can pop a higher rating on the Raw after the PPV. Also, I find it makes the title a lot less meaningful.
In 1999, the year that Mankind, Big Show, Triple H, Austin, The Rock Undertaker and Vince McMahon all holding the title, there were twelve different champions. Vince's reign was six days, one of the The Rock's was two days and Mankind held it for a period of 24hrs. The longest run with the title in 1999 was fifty-six days.

Was the title even less meaningful then, during the most financially successful period the WWE has ever known, when the numbers were high and the talent were, for the most part, all over with the fans?

In 1999, the year that Mankind, Big Show, Triple H, Austin, The Rock Undertaker and Vince McMahon all holding the title, there were twelve different champions. Vince's reign was six days, one of the The Rock's was two days and Mankind held it for a period of 24hrs. The longest run with the title in 1999 was fifty-six days.

Was the title even less meaningful then, during the most financially successful period the WWE has ever known, when the numbers were high and the talent were, for the most part, all over with the fans?

Thing is then it was brand new, never been done in WWE before and was at a time when their product was hot. Thus it was something they tried, that worked, so they stuck with it.

Where as now, it doesn't work and they seem to just cut people's legs off to spite them when they do well i.e. build Punk up, have him lose the title without losing it, Orton getting built up as unstoppable and then being stopped incredibly easily, HHH getting it if they run out of ideas and Jeff Hardy having a cup of coffee with it. It reeks more of running out of ideas than listening to your public.

The title meant something then simply because the company meant something and the top stars were portrayed as top stars. Where as these days everyone is bored of HHH, Orton gets over then gets ditched, Cena's been going nowhere, Edge just flirts around the title, Batista loses title matches so often that when he does win nobody cares, and anyone else they give it too they seem to have no faith in for any long period.

So yeah 2 completely different periods. The short changing only devalues the title now cause it's being done for no real reason, rather than being creative and innovative like in 99.

One person from SmackDown appearing on Raw to talk to his wife... yeah, wouldn't call that an argument for the brand split being worthless.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qwe6tk.png

WWE title changes per month.

4 times this year for the WWE championship and 5 times for the world championship. Given the fact the its the 6th month the average length of reign is 1.5 months for the WWE championship and 1.2 months for the World Championship.

This title reigns are far to short to have any real meaning and some of them are completely pointless. For example Edges defeat to Cena at Mania only to loss it a month later was rather pointless and Jeff Hardy winning the title only to loss it within two minutes is another example.

WWE's recent track record of booking title changes has been poor to say the least.

I wouldn't say it's been poor at all. Hasn't been perfect but I've seen worse records (TNA, for example, did some horrendous things with their title, and 1999 WWF was utter sh*t). The Edge/Cena thing could have been better, but it certainly wasn't offensive and was mostly to climax their long-standing feud. The Jeff/Punk thing certainly wasn't a bad thing, especially if it's leading to a Punk heel turn. In fact, if it IS leading to a heel turn, it was the best idea they've had in a while.

They've done their time for long title reigns, and everyone complained their asses off when Cena held the title for ages. So now it's back to shorter reigns for a bit. No doubt the number will go down soon and we'll be back to some longer reigns again.

The only *real* issue with the titles right now, purely and simply, is that there are three of them. That's the part that needs to be fixed.

I wouldn't say it's been poor at all. Hasn't been perfect but I've seen worse records (TNA, for example, did some horrendous things with their title, and 1999 WWF was utter sh*t). The Edge/Cena thing could have been better, but it certainly wasn't offensive and was mostly to climax their long-standing feud. The Jeff/Punk thing certainly wasn't a bad thing, especially if it's leading to a Punk heel turn. In fact, if it IS leading to a heel turn, it was the best idea they've had in a while.

They've done their time for long title reigns, and everyone complained their asses off when Cena held the title for ages. So now it's back to shorter reigns for a bit. No doubt the number will go down soon and we'll be back to some longer reigns again.

The only *real* issue with the titles right now, purely and simply, is that there are three of them. That's the part that needs to be fixed.

While i agree there are many pointless titles in the WWE there booking still alot of work. just for the record and not trying to spark off another pointless them vs us thing (only commenting due to being brought up in the above post). but TNA world title average this year is 3 months, there has only been 2 world champions this year and stings title run lasted 189 days, before than Joes was 182 days and before that Angles was 180 days in fact in the TNA title history the shortist reigns was 1 day and 2 days and there have only been 7 title changes since 13/05/2007 so really they done it pretty well IMO

Long titles reigns can be awful too. Look at Samoa Joe's TNA Title run, or Diesel's year-long stint on top for proof of that.

your forgot HHH's 2003 run but i don't think Joes run was that bad, it had a few highlights Joe/Angle @ Lockdown, KOTM first time it was defended. Joe/Booker T and Sting/Joe @ BFG 2008

Edited by Jayfunk

Ah okay I see. Was it maybe too soon before the match for them to change the end? Trying to find logic in it is all (which in wrestling is probably daft lol!)
I think it was Friday or Saturday he got injured Nimf, i'm fairly sure they had atleast 24 hours notice on the injury before the PPV so I would think could have changed plans with time to spare

Source: Observer

At the tapings two weeks ago in Los Angeles, every time Batista did anything physical both nights, he rushed to the back and was icing the left biceps, although the injury was downplayed. The injury worsened doing something on 6/1 in Louisville, apparently in doing a short cage match with Cody Rhodes. During the week, he got an MRI. The company was not aware of the result, which was a ruptured biceps tendon, until the weekend, and perhaps as late as the PPV on 6/7 in New Orleans, where he was scheduled to beat Orton in a cage match to win the title.

In no way a Big Show fan but I really hope the big man wins the WWE Title tonight,not because he's good but quite simply because its something new.

The Orton-HHH feud doesnt need a title,they hate each other enough to have a blood-stained feud,looks time to me to stick these two inside Hell in a Cell and let them beat each other to a pulp.

I cant be bothered seeing Superman win the title either,he's boring and his lack of a move set make me want to destroy his smarmy face.Only problem with Show winning is that sooner rather than later im going to have to watch Cena with that belt again.

Personally I hope MVP snakes his way into the match somehow and wins the belt but this is like dreaming and it wont happen.I personally think Flair will turn up and he will help Orton to win the title in a major swerve(I would enjoy that too)

Just aslong as HHH doesnt get another reign,please god no.

As for Smackdown,probably will have match of the night with Punk,Edge and Jeff...i fully expect Punk to retain and I enjoy the product so much nowadays that I dont mind who wins,glad that Smackdown seem determined to make new stars and push deserving talent.

ECW Title-Was pleased that Dreamer got his dream at Extreme Rules but the belt has to be on Christian...the biggest star on the roster.Hope there is a segement with the Hart Foundation tonight though,they are going to be huge.

Yup HHH's reigns are awful, I haven't cared about any of them, thinking they are anything other that HHH 'trying' to get himself over and making himself a legend in the business (in stastics only), surely it makes you the one who is biased and blinkered?