YOUR favourite performances in film?

Naitch

May not necessarily be the greatest performance of all time from a purely objective view, I'm looking for your own personal subjective favourite performance in a film from an actor/actress/animal or possibly inanimate object.

Jeff Bridges as the Dude/His Dudeness/Duder/El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing in 'The Big Lebowski.'

The Coens are usually pretty darn spot on with their casting anyway but Bridges as the much admired Dude was such a genius piece of casting and is one of the best characterisations I've ever seen in a film packed with great characters and performances anyway (Jesus for instance might well be the greatest bit part character in the history of bit part characters). Delivery of the dialogue and, in particular, of swear words, every facial expression and body movement from Bridges is just perfect and yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Henry Fonda as Frank in 'Once Upon a Time in the West.'

Plays Wyatt Earp, young Abe Lincoln, Juror #8, the Wrong Man and so on. Becomes well known for playing honest, noble, upstanding figures. First time we see him in Leone's classic it's after he's gunned down a family and then he shoots a little boy in cold blood. Goes on to be one hell of a villain spouting the usual great Leone Western lines (Morton: Not bad. Congratulations. Tell me, was it necessary that you kill all of them? I only told you to scare them. Frank: People scare better when they're dying.) before a badass, mano-y-mano face off with Charles F'n Bronson. All while sporting those good guy baby blue eyes. It's one of my favourite ever performances from one of my favourite actors in probably my favourite film.

So, ah, proceed I guess.

Edited by Naitch

Al Pacino as Scarface in 'Scarface'

The rise and fall of an immigrant who dreamed of having the money,the power,the respect,the women and achieving the American dream was expertly acted out by Al Pacino as Scarface.

I liked how edgy he made the character and how complex he was because one moment he was an intensely moral individual (not killing women and children) and the next he was killing his best friend infront of his younger sister).

Also the ending in the mansion when the hired guns rush in and a wounded yet defiant Scarface refuses to die and taunts these unknown enemies until being shot in the back is an epic moment in cinema.

Joe Pesci as Tommy in 'Goodfellas'

Funny,Violent and generally unpredictable was the character of Tommy in Martin Scorsese's legendary film 'Goodfellas'.

It takes a special kind of talent to convincingly play a character who you never know for sure whether they are joking or on the edge of losing it completely but Joe Pesci pulled it off superbly.

For me my favourite example of him showcasing Tommy's un-nerving yet attention grabbing split-personality is when Henry remarks that Tommy is 'a funny guy' and then we are treated to Tommy looking like he is getting very angry and interrogating Henry about the comment until he laughs and says " I nearly had him! "

Michael Gross as Burt Gummer in Tremors

I don't think I have ever seen someone play a paranoid, gun loving, govenment hating, para-militery survivalist as Gross did in Tremors, he just personifies everything you'd exect from someone who hates bar codes on packaging because the govenment usues them to track your purchases and make a profile up on you

Paul Giamatti as Pig Vomit in 'Private Parts'

A great movie that would have been pretty good on it's own, but was raised by a spectacular performance from Giamatti as the cocky young asshole programme director who thinks that he can tame Howard. From the wonderful delivery of "W-Eeeeeen-BC" to his anger at being one-upped and the eventual desperation he falls to, it's an inspired job.

[YOUTUBE]EUvzc61xsck[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sfRQYNFvbhw[/YOUTUBE]

Paul Giamatti as Pig Vomit in 'Private Parts'

A great movie that would have been pretty good on it's own, but was raised by a spectacular performance from Giamatti as the cocky young asshole programme director who thinks that he can tame Howard. From the wonderful delivery of "W-Eeeeeen-BC" to his anger at being one-upped and the eventual desperation he falls to, it's an inspired job.

I have not seen the film in question, but after reading this it makes me want to. But Paul Giamatti in Sideways is fantastic as well. A really good film made great by Giamatti's acting, he was superb.

My favourite role is Marilyn Monroe in *Some Like it Hot*. One of my favourites comedies ever.

[YOUTUBE]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqAtJ527-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwqAtJ527-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]