New Ghostbusters movie??

King

CREDIT:EveningEcho.ie

The '40 Year Old Virgin' co-stars Steve Carell and Seth Rogen are to reteam for a new 'Ghostbusters' movie, according to Internet reports.

The funnymen are at the centre of a huge new movie rumour, which has been reported by DreadCentral.com.

According to "a reliable source, who cannot be named", Carell and Rogen will join the original four 'Ghostbusters', Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson, for a third film.

According to the website, the original 'GhostBusters' stars will hand over their "proton packs" to the new guys, for what insiders believe will be a new run of spook-chasing movies.

This would be so cool if it happened.

Yea what beltser said, and without remakes and sequels we'd never have had awesome films such as The Dark Knight, The Departed and The Empire Strikes Back. How much of a crime would that be.

Perhaps what you meant to say is "they should stop bringing back old franchises" but then Transformers and Die Hard 4.0 were great.

Or the more likely scenario is they cast the wrong people and it sucks beyond belief. If it isn't the original four then it isn't Ghostbusters in my book.
Did you know that the original four weren't meant to be the original four?

The script was written with the hope of casting Dan Akroyd (who wrote the original script), John Belushi (Venkman), Eddie Murphy (Zeddemore) and Harold Ramis (who, along with Akroyd, co-wrote the final script), with John Candy as Louis Tulley.

Slimer is an homagé to John Belushi.

• Like 1

Did you know that the original four weren't meant to be the original four?

The script was written with the hope of casting Dan Akroyd (who wrote the original script), John Belushi (Venkman), Eddie Murphy (Zeddemore) and Harold Ramis (who, along with Akroyd, co-wrote the final script), with John Candy as Louis Tulley.

Slimer is an homagé to John Belushi.

I remember that now you mention it - it was on the DVD commentary wasn't it?

I'm glad it worked out as it did in the end - the four's chemistry is excellent, Rick Moranis and Anne Potts were good supporting roles too.

I couldn't imagine anyone other than Bill Murray as Dr Peter Venkman. Ernie Hudson was better in GBII though because Winston was a bigger part of the team.

Ghostbusters originally was an Akroyd/Belushi film about them being space ghost hunters, but obviously after Belushi passed things had to change.

The last I heard about a Ghostbusters sequel was that Venkman dies and comes back as a ghost, which bit gonad in my opinion. A passing of the torch idea would be ok, as would a franchise story, I mean, does all the ghostly activity happen in New York?

I love Ghostbusters and still do, but they need to get it done quick as the quadret aren't getting any younger.

Ghostbusters originally was an Akroyd/Belushi film about them being space ghost hunters, but obviously after Belushi passed things had to change.
Yeah, they were going to be travelling through time and space, but when Harold Ramis and Ivan Rietman read Ackroyd's first script, all the space/time shenanigans were expunged for budgetary reasons. The script that became the movie was still written with Belushi in mind, but, as Saz says, he died during pre-production and the script was changed even further to accomodate Bill Murray.

There has also been a huge debate on how much Murray ad-libbed on the film. Some say he ad-libbed almost his entire performance, while others say he stuck to the script but delivered it as if it was off-the-cuff and there are those who argue it was somewhere in-between.

If Eddie Murphy had been hired, Winston would have come into the movie a lot earlier than he did in the movie (before the hotel capture of Slimer).

GB2 was complete crap really, I dont think it would be too hard to surpass that.

Sorry mate, I'm going to have to rarely disagree with you on this, GB2 was one of the films that I believe was as good as the first.

Granted there was no stay puft marshmallow man but when the Titanic arrives and lady liberty kicks butt, there is always time for fun.

But having said that the line that always gets me is "So? she's a dog!"

Edited by Saz

Sorry mate, I'm going to have to rarely disagree with you on this, GB2 was one of the films that I believe was as good as the first.

Granted there was no stay puft marshmallow man but when the Titanic arrives and lady liberty kicks butt, there is always time for fun.

But having said that the line that always gets me is "So? she's a dog!"

GB2 cant hold a candle to GB1, GB is a classic, the sequel was ok, but it wasnt a patch on the original for me.

Janosz was a complete star in it with all his goofy one-liners and he made me crack up constantly (especially "Yes Dr Venkman, I seen you on television, quite enjoy"), BUT that didnt make the film a good one, and the story in general was weak as assholes I thought.

I didnt go for the sequel, it was a wasted opportunity.

I've always been a huge Ghostbusters fan, but i personally didn't care too much for the second one. I own them both on DVD, i've watched the first one loads of times, but i've got a feeling number 2 is still sealed. It just isn't close to being as good as the original.

• 5 weeks later...

Good news for fans of the franchise looking for another live-action outing...

Who You Gonna Call... Again?

Columbia plans Ghostbusters 3! YES!

Source: Variety

05 September 2008

Well, readers, we thought we couldn't get any more excited than we were a couple of weeks when news leaked that Shane Black was writing Lethal Weapon 5. Shane freakin' Black!

But we were wrong. For Columbia Pictures has just announced serious plans to make... Ghostbusters 3.

Yes, folks, a third installment of the wildly successful comedy-horror franchise has been rumoured for years, but now it looks like it might actually happen. And that is reason for much rejoicing – you know, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

Columbia has recruited Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky – writers and producers of the wonderful American version of The Office – to write a script which would, and this is the really exciting bit, reunite the original Ghostbusters, almost twenty years after the under-rated Ghostbusters 2.

And that doesn’t just mean Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson), or Dr. Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis) or Dr. Ray Stantz (Dan Aykroyd), it also means the return of Bill Murray as Dr. Peter Venkman, possibly the sleaziest and most likeable lead to ever grace a modern blockbuster.

Murray’s participation in Ghostbusters 3 has always been a sticking point, but here’s hoping that the script delivered by Eisenberg and Stupnitsky will be good enough to lure him in.

Of course, the announcement of Eisenberg and Stupnitsky’s involvement throws up more questions than answers – the screenplays for the first two movies were co-written by Ramis and Aykroyd, while the latter had written a script for a third movie, called Ghostbusters In Hell.

It’s surprising that they haven’t been asked back to perform writing duties this time around – but Eisenberg and Stupnitsky are rising writing talents, who worked with Ramis on his most recent directorial effort, Year One. So let’s give them a chance.

Story details are not forthcoming at the moment, so we don’t know whether there’s any room for the return of Rick Moranis (who’s pretty much retired from acting these days), Sigourney Weaver or Annie Potts, or indeed Ivan Reitman as director. Hey – here’s a crazy idea: why not hire his son, Jason, to direct?

And, until those plot details are confirmed, we’re not sure if this new Ghostbusters flick will involve the original quartet handing over to a younger, newer group of Ghostbusters, as had been strongly rumoured in the past. We hope not – we’d love to see the Ghostbusters back in town one more time and, as certain revived franchises have perhaps proved, crowbarring in young sidekicks doesn’t always work.

More on this as we get it. Altogether now: “And the flowers are still standing!

Chris Hewitt