The Half Year Awards

Naitch

We're just over half the way through 2008 so I figure, hey, why not. Vote for the best so far this year in the following categories:

Heel

Babyface

Overall

Female

Tag Team

Match

Promo

PPV

Newcomer

Moment

Heel

Chris Jericho. I know it was strictly speaking a very recent heel turn (though hinted at for quite a while beforehand) but the turn itself was great and Jericho has been on fire since with some real solid heel mic work channelling part Chris Jericho conspiracy victim without the comedy and part Bret Hart 1997. Reasons for heel turns are usually flimsy and clichéd at best but Jericho had every reason to turn (the best kind of heel turn. Michael Hayes rule and all that) on Michaels and the fans and, quite frankly, every reason to blind the son of a bitch. ‘Faking an injury, uh? Well, fake blindness in one eye, bitch.’ Hopefully they never ever go back to Jericho using his horrendously uncool catchphrases because this is possibly the greatest opportunity for Jericho to show he could be a real main event player.

Honourable mentions go to Randy Orton, crazed power hungry King William Regal, THA MIZ and Booker T for outshining every single person on the TNA roster at present.

Babyface

Big F’n Dave F’n Batista. All stoic and coolness personified, the now legendary Smackdown 8 man tag served to increase his likeability even further as he became almost a modern day Andre the Giant teaming with some jobbers. Calmly told Shawn Michaels he was going to mess him up at the PPV and then he did, was all ‘you know, Edge, I’d kinda like a shot at your title. Oh I have to go through Khali first? Hey, no problem’ and stuff. His mic work has been simple but solid with them being smart in that regard, limiting him largely to cool soundbyte/bullet point lines rather than going on a tHHHoroughly boring ramble. Has also had some pretty damn good matches this year, May in particular being a highlight for him as far as TV matches go.

Overall

I think probably Jericho, he’s been the MVP in wrestling all year I think, good babyface work and even better heel work. Really sorted out his mic work and beginning to hone a character that should be taken seriously in the main event.

Female

Mickie James is still probably the most likeable, most over female in wrestling. They can try pushing Candice Michelle and inexplicably pushing Michelle McCool but Mickie is pretty much their best female still and the one with the best connection with the audience.

Honourable mention to Awesome Kong, hasn’t had a superb year or anything but I liked her squashing the piss out of people in the challenge thing.

Tag Team

Has to be Miz and Morrison. I know they haven’t really seriously pushed tag team wrestling since, what, 2001? But I still think they haven’t even scratched the surface with what the two of them could potentially be as a tag team, they could easily be a good upper midcard absolute pr*ck, take-the-piss-out-of-their-opponents tag team a la Edge and Christian or The Hollywood Blondes. Should have put the Dirtsheet stuff on Smackdown at least. Morrison has grown on me specifically because of his chemistry with Miz and THA MIZ is still near the top of my list of favourites.

Match

Flair vs. Michaels, Wrestlemania 24. I don’t even care that it, strictly speaking, wasn’t a huge WORKRATE ~! FIVE STAR MATCH ~! (whatever a ***** match actually is. I mean one man’s ***** match is another man’s **** and 3/4* match. Ugh, I need a shower), it encapsulated much of what is great about professional wrestling. Build up to it was great and it became THE primary reason as to why I actually bought a PPV for once but it became much better than I expected. This was an old, balding, broken down, decrepit son of a bitch…and Ric Flair but the emotion and the ending and the crowd and the moment and the situation all made it a big Wrestlemania moment kinda match and I couldn’t really have asked for much more than that.

Promo

'OLD YELLER! OLD YELLER!' The old ba*tard in one moment convinces me and a lot of others to buy the PPV. Exactly what a promo should do.

PPV

Wrestlemania. I haven’t had as much fun watching a PPV in years, liked just about everything from top to bottom from Show/Mayweather doing a BRILLIANT wrestler vs. non wrestler match that turned out to be about a billion times better than I or anyone else was expecting, to Flair/Michaels to Edge/Taker to the overall feel and atmosphere and production of the entire event. It was tremendous.

Newcomer

The only ones I think can be nominated are Kofi Kingston, Nattie Neidhart, Evan Bourne, Ted DiBiase, Moose and Shantelle Taylor. Of those I’ll go with Kofi Kingston.

Moment

Again, probably the ending to the Flair/Michaels match and then the subsequent Flair sendoff on Raw (VINCE HATES WRESTLING) but then I’m probably a little biased. But other mentions must go to Big Dave stoically being all ‘motherf*cker please’ when Michaels teased a Superkick on him, Jericho’s heel turn, Regal winning KOTR, Regal going batshit insane and choking the production guy, Show’s return coupled with Mayweather jumping the rail and pissing off a giant, Show press slamming Mayweather and so on and so forth.

Edited by Naitch
  • Like 1

Heel

For me, its probably got to go with Vickie Guerrero/Edge. Both have been excellent in their respective roles and are in the positions every top heel should be. You want to see them get destroyed.

Babyface

Hhhmm really tough because nobody has really shined IMO. Batista, Flair, Jeff Hardy, Cena etc have all had their moments but nothing I'd really say which is above and beyond the usual. I'm gonna probably say The Undertaker, simply because IMO he was the most consistent for the longest amount of time. But well I must say its not a very strong list of contenders.

Overall

Edge, great in-ring and on the stick, carried the top title on SD like a true champion.

Female

I'm gonna say Beth Phoenix. I really like her style, her demeanour, her choice of moves, her pacing, and that double backbreaker was super.

Tag Team

Miz and Morrison. I mean who else is it gonna be? Holly and Rhodes?

Match

Undertaker/Edge from WM. At the time was really fresh, Edge tried everything, there was unpredictable near falls, and just a real good structure to it.

Promo

Flair's promo which Naitch mentioned, just super stuff from the man.

PPV

A real toughie as while none of them have been bad, none of them IMO have been anything above solid. I guess WrestleMania wins by default as it had the glitz and glamour all the others didn't have, despite not having any better wrestling.

Newcomer

Mike Adamle. Hey he's amusing?

Moment

Mayweather clocking Show at No Way Out. Just brilliant.

Heel

Didn't have the greatest start to the year, but Edge has been on fire since the final few weeks of the Wrestlemania build. Pretty much everything from "FIFTEEN AND ONE, DEADMAN" down to his display on last week's Raw, which was one of the best heel performances in the longest time. Just coming down to the ring and telling the brand "hey, f*ck you, I'm the champion and you ain't getting no damn title shots". I liken his style to pulling his trunks down and urinating over the ring with the biggest sh*t-eating grin across his smug face. This was 1998 Vince McMahon-level awesomeness. He's also developing as a better worker than I've given him previous credit for. Can't really knock what he's done with Matt Hardy, The Undertaker, Batista, etc, and it was just as much pulling his own weight than being carried. I genuinely think that Edge will be seen in ten years as Shawn Michaels is today, in terms of talent and importance to the company. I smell a future Hall Of Famer, and not through a lack of deserving either.

Babyface

I'll agree with what I assume will be a majority here, but more because no one else has stepped up, rather than his own merits. Batista has been the only real consistant kick-ass cool guy they have. Cena is only just starting to pull his game back up, Michaels has played subtle-heel-getting-cheered for most of the year, Undertaker has done nothing particularly new, no one cares about the faces on ECW, Punk has been a bland midcarder for all but a week of 2008, and Mr. Kennedy hasn't done anything since his fantastic but criminally short run with Regal (otherwise I'd have shoehorned him into this spot). But, even though he had a poor match at Wrestlemania, was the early heel going into his feud with HBK, and doesn't know how to execute a sit-down powerbomb properly - which he fixed on Raw by just not sitting down and instantly making his finisher look 100x better - he has been having some good matches in some good feuds and generally only boosting his own credibility in the process.

Overall

Simply because he's been busting his ass all year, I'll say The Undertaker. Hasn't been as "cool" a babyface as Big Dave, but hasn't had a bad match all year and constantly turns it on for the big'uns. Got that damn submission finisher over through hell and highwater, had the best match at Wrestlemania, did some good work with guys like Festus, and has been a lot more "generous" with opponents than he usually is. So in terms of half-year-long work and feuds, I'll nod him with it, but that's not to discredit Shawn Michaels either, for the same reasons; he's also worked hard, been in fun feuds and made himself busy without being anything particularly noticable as a babyface. I just feel that Taker narrowly pipped him, largely due to the feud with Edge.

Female

It was close between Mickie James and a few others, but I'm going to nod Victoria. Her heel run this year, particularly with Natalya, has been an absolute goldmine of subtle veteran heel techniques that have probably gone unnoticed to the masses but brought no end of pleasure to my jaded wrestling face. She's helped make Cherry more entertaining, and is the only reason that I can stomach Michelle McCool segments... well, that and when Natalya forearms her right in the face as if Vader had just been told that Colin Delaney had called his mother a *****. Were it not for the hard work Victoria has put in, and being associated with the likeable Cherry, McCool would be booed out of the building. But she's not, and Vicky deserves a payrise.

Tag Team

Not to discredit Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin, but they've been buried for msot of the year. So Miz and Morrison have my vote. The two work really well together, act like a proper team, have tonnes of charisma and could probably be considered the new-age Edge and Christian. I just hope that Miz doesn't end up like Christian because he is criminally underrated and in my eyes more talented than acrobat Morrison. Not to say Morrison isn't good - his appearance on Tom Green impressed me a lot, and the two could quite easily turn face and be the DX that DX 2006 should have been. But Miz is great, Morrison is catching up, and they're basically great.

Match

This is a toughie. For entertainment and mark-out value, I'm inclined to say the Royal Rumble match as it had everything from a hot crowd to the unpredictable #30 victory swerving us away from the predictable HHH win, cameos, continuity from previous years, and all else that makes the match what it is. But you can't discredit Taker/Edge, HBK/Flair, or even Mayweather/Show for sheer perfectly-booked spectacle. Sure, it wasn't a technical masterpiece, but hell, it was entertaining and that's all that matters in wrestling. You can also add Kurt Angle/Samoa Joe from Lockdown - great build, unique style and the right ending.

Promo

Part of me says "Old Yeller", and part of me says "Raw ain't getting another shot at my title". I can't decide; they're both so good for different reasons. The Flair Old Yeller stuff was great for building up last minute heat, setting the story for the pay-off match and getting those last-minute buys in. Conversely, the Edge title promo won't sell tickets but was a 101 masterclass in being a heel. Argue amongst yourselves, but I nominate both.

PPV

Wrestlemania XXIV, without question. Does it even need to be explained? Lots of good matches, a couple of great ones, tonnes of spectacle, a hot crowd, and entertainment-aplenty. One of the best shows, visually, I've ever seen. Certainly my favourite Wrestlemania ever, from that perspective. Actually, probably my favourite Wrestlemania ever, anyway. I'm a mark for production values.

Newcomer

Eh, why not: Mike Adamle. I've liked him from his very first Jeff Harvey, and I can't hate him even on ECW.

Moment

God, I don't know... Regal taking Raw off the air; McMahon Million Dollar Massacre; Vince getting RICK ROLLED~!; Mayweather punching Big Show right in his 450lbs nose; This Is Your Life with Ric Flair; I think I'm gonna stick with what I alluded to in my match pick: John Cena enters the Royal Rumble at #30. Genuine mark-out moment that had me actually jump out of my seat with my jaw on the floor, shaking my legs with my face hiding behind my hands, hoping he'd win. He did, and oh how I celebrated. Might not have been a historic moment, but it was a personal victory.

Heel - Edge. Most believably arrogant asshole in WWE right now, he has talked sh*t and never backed it up, runs away but puts on hot matches while pulling every heel action going time after time. Best performer in WWE at the moment, heel or face.

Babyface - No idea. If Jeff didnt get suspended and de-pushed, I'd have gone for him. As it stands, I dunno. Who cares?

Overall - Edgemond.

Female - Beth was rolling before the losses. I like the silent women which go out and batter the mouthy, scrawny 'Divas'. Since the losses though, she as blended in with the rest of them.

Tag Team - Doesnt matter, tag team wrestling in WWE is unimportant.

Match - Edge vs Taker - WMXXIV

Promo - Flair with the NWA title. Shawn calling him the old bitch that he is.

PPV - None. I havent thought much of any of them, all pretty mediocre or complete crap for me. I've enjoyed the last two episodes of RAW more than any PPV all year.

Newcomer - No idea.

Moment - Floyd Mayweather smushing Shows nose into the back of his head, and then legging it. Great.

Edited by The Beltster

Heel - Im going to go with JBL. From his work with Jericho at the start of the year, to his involvement in the Finlay/Hornswoggle/Mcmahon storyline and then last week getting himself back in the World Title picture. Good work all round

Babyface - Batista, the guy has managed to stay over as a face pretty much all year and always gets a huge pop, plus hes cool.

Overall - Edge, the guy has mabaged to piss off most of the wrestlnig fans this year, both by cheating to win and the promo's hes done, capped off with what happened on Smackdown.

Female - I'm going to say Mickie, she's good in the ring, very over with the fans and she has looked right wearing gold.

Tag Team - Im gonna go with Miz/Morrison, these two have really impressed me, i mean, they didnt even like each other before they teamed but they managed to put that aside and go out there and perform. Theyre young, promsing, brash and cocky at times, but they are able to back it up.

Match - Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair. The emotion of it all, the whole "Im sorry i love you", the whole retirement, the final walk up the ramp, the fact that it was at Wrestlemania. Fantastic stuff.

Promo - Ol' yeller on Raw prior to Wrestlemania, I'd be amazed if anything else was picked.

PPV - Im going to say Night Of Champions. Every match had its plus points really. Well apart from the World Tag Team Championship match, but that was never, with the way it was going to go, be a rated match. Overall it was the best. Its a tough one because i dont think theres been a bad PPV this year from WWE, just the odd bad match.

Newcomer - Kofi Kingston, young and athlletic and he can do it in the ring as well, and now hes on Raw, more exposure his way especially with the IC Title round his waist now.

Moment - Ric Flair's farewell. Emotional is a great word to describe it, The Horsemen coming out, then Steamboat, and all the other superstars to say goodbye to one of the best, if not the best, superstar of all time.

Heel - Vickie Gurrero, she has serious HEAT.

Babyface - Jeff Hardy, particullary before his suspension

Overall - I Guess the overall pick should go to one of the two above, but I'm going to go for Edge, hes had a nice year.

Female - I wish this was called females, then it'd go to the loveablee duo of natalya and victoria, but since it isnt, Ill go for the veteran of the two in Victoria.

Tag Team - Miz and Morrison, the tag division had been horrid this year.

Match - Edge Vs The Undertaker WM, I actually thought Takers streak could end. The match was full of drama and decent ring action.

Promo - Edge's from this past weeks raw about raw never getting another title shot from him.

PPV - Wrestlemania, no reason needed.

Newcomer - Kofi Kingston, hes better at being Shelton Benjamin than Shelton Benjamin is.

Moment - Ric Flairs leaving party on Raw, sent shivers down my spine hearing the Horsemans music and even had tears in my eyes.

well reading the above i am not sure if this is a WWE only but who cares allow me to offer a balance look:

Heel - i would have said edge but he provided he wasn't when they had to take the belt off the taker because edge couldn't chase the belt as one so i would have to go for Kurt Angle.

Babyface - HHH, there isn't many good ones around these days

Overall - Kurt Angle

Female - Roxxi she came out of nowhere and is well over good little worker too and has taken one for the company

Tag Team - LAX finally got there belt back in 08 been the best around since the fall of AMW.

Match - Kong Vs Kim FR best women match for years

Promo - the petey pump promos good way to build character

PPV - Wrestlemania,

Newcomer - Roxxi

Moment - Joe finally winning the world champion at lockdown, i would have said flair but it should have happen on the last night of nitro.

Heel - Edge he is the type of person you really really want to see beaten down and hurt. He makes you hate him by words alone and then having the vomit inducing Vickie by his side and la familla just makes this worse. Kudos to him for making you care about him but also hate him in equal measure.

Babyface - Im not sure about this Flair, Jeff Hardy, HHH have been good but not standout. im going to go with Jeff not withstanding the 60 days off he was brilliant and would be World Heavy Weight Champ now.

Overall - Edge just brilliant, i have gone from disliking him to really liking him but wanting to hit him when he gives his arogent promos and the strut. i love the strut. It is brilliant. He is a great old fashioned heel.

Female - Who cares seriously but will never be Victoria did not like the comments she made about Melina and her injury. I supose Natalya or Beth

Tag Team - As much as i dislike them individually and collectively Miz and Morrison, they have formed a great partnership and have improved beyond recognition.

Match - Although their have been better im sorry but the match this year will be the one i was least looking forward to but still delivered. Flair vs HBK, this angle built and built and built until the match which although not 5 star did not dissapoint. At one stage i thought Ric had changed his mind and was not going to retire. Magic... Im sorry, i love you. Also on that vein Batista and HBK for the opposite sentiments is a distant second.

Promo - HBK and Flair the three leading up to wrestlemania but particularly as everyone has mentioned ol' yeller.

PPV - I'm going to have to say Wrestlmania beacuse of the emotion leading up to it. i did enjoy No Way Out though.

Newcomer - Ted Dibiase he has intriged me and made me watch out for him.

Moment - The saddest moment of my life as well, Rics retirement. Although it was mint because the Four Horseman, Harley Race, Steamboat, Valentineetc turned up. Hands up who did not want to see the AA and Ric Flair hug. I cried and celebrated at the same time.

Heel- Has to be the combo of Vicki and Edge right now. I don't think any two people are hated at much by the fans in the WWE at the moment.

Babyface - Batista. Doesn't matter what big Dave does he is definitely the fan favourite no matter what show he is on. Would have picked Cena but he has been on and off for awhile.

Overall- The Vick/Edge angle. That has produced more heat than anything else in the three shows combined. Even outdid the Jericho heel turn.

Female - Natayla. She's even dyed her hair to match the new belt. There is confidence in this one.

Tag Team - My god there is only like 2-3 to pick from. Have to go with Miz and Morrison. They've been the most consistent and had to put up with a really crappy division.

Match - Royal Rumble. The #30 threw everyone for a loop. No-one saw that coming.

Promo - Have to go with the ol' Yellar on Raw. Nothing else is coming to mind.

PPV - Wrestlemania for sure. Great matches and build up complete event.

Newcomer - Kofi Kingston I think. Good wrestler and high flier. Too bad no Cruiserweight belt around. He would be a shoe in for it.

Moment - Flair's last walk up the ramp after the match with HBK and just listening to the respect that he was given for a great career.

I was going to make a similar thread, damn you Naitch for stealing my spotlight. I dont care if you're Britney freakin' Spears, nobody steals my spotlight. Anywho.

Heel

This is an easy choice for me. Vickie Guerrero. The basic explanation is that although I've only been watching wrestling for less than five years (in the "crappy era" at that), I have never, EVER heard heel heat like hers. Its just honest, "we f'ing hate you and are not going to even let you speak" heat, and its brilliant. Not to mention Vickie herself. She went from being one of the worst performers of all time, period, to being one of the best performers in the company right now. She's opened Smackdown almost every week for the past few months, and its awesome.

Babyface

This is a tough one. Jeff Hardy had an utterly brilliant two months pre-suspension, but thats only two months out of six. Triple H bores the crapsticks out of me. John Cena came back great, then sort of faded into being really irritating, even to me, and just isnt given a chance. Batista has had a really good month or so, but before that he didnt impress me much. I think I'll have to plump for Undertaker, who had a really good year until One Night Stand. He had a good Rumble, a predictable but good run towards Wrestlemania, a cracking match there, and generally a good feud with Edge. Add in his new finish, and the fact that he is the most over face in the company almost without trying.

Overall

This is also tough. I wouldnt really say Taker, and that leaves it tempting to go for Vickie, even though I feel ridiculous nominating her as the best wrestler of the half-year. Against all of my moral fibre, all of my being, I'll say Edge. All round he's been the most consistent guy this year. Had a decent feud with Rey, a good one with Taker (moreso post-WM), a very cool one with His Big Daveness, and now after Raw is just p*ssed at the world, to great effect. He's also had great PPV matches, the highlight being with Taker at Wrestlemania, but also the others with him, the one with Batista, and he got the most out of Rey at the start of the year. Has the most over heel around with him which only helps. Really come into his character lately.

Female

So many candidates. Mickie is always solid, Melina had a surprisingly good face turn, Beth became double-awesome practically overnight during May, Cherry threatened to save pro wrestling during April, Michelle has been solid and inventing moves all over the place, Natalya has been pretty great since she came in. However, at the risk of parroting Mitch (although I've been saying it for the past 8 months), it has to be Victoria. Simply put my favourite heel in wrestling not called Vickie Guerrero. In late 2007 she started becoming this over the top, but subtle, uber-heel, and its brilliant. From the Sumo suit match, to falling off the top turnbuckle, to tantrums when she loses anything, to wearing floaties and a snorkel to a Water Fight, to stealing Santino's Subway sandwich, to her match with Cherry, to making motorcycle noises at Michelle, to being BFF with Natalya - wearing their matching "Best Friends" tops and doing their BFF handshake - to pretty much everything she's ever done for the past 6 months. Victoria is amazing.

Tag Team

John Morrison and THA Miz is a no-brainer, surely? Just brilliant. They got thrown together in the middle of their feud (2007 FTW) and somehow just became the best tag team since, well since MNM really, at the very least. Both Morrison and Miz have improved a thousand fold since, and are now two of the best heels in the company. Any promo work they do is amazing, and they've developed a nice moveset and have good matches all over the place now. Its not like they have much competition for this prize, but they're pretty much the only thing giving tag teaming any credibility in 2008.

Match

Its not been a stellar year for matches, not compared to last year, IMO. There have been a couple of standouts, Edge/Taker, Flair/HBK and the Rumble are the main three. I think Edge v Undertaker at Wrestlemania. It was better than anyone expected, and belied their feud, which was quite uninteresting going into Mania. It was given the treasured main event spot, and had probably Cole and Coach's best call together. Unlike during the build, during the match there were times when I actually believed Edge had the slightest chance of winning, and the way they had him counter everything was great, topped off with shenanigans, Referee Charles Robinson's Sprint of Doom, and finally the happy ending. Just a great main event match really.

Promo

Simply has to be "Old Yeller", Flair and Michaels pre-Wrestlemania. As people have said, a money promo, like we havent seen in years. Honorable mention to Jericho's recent heel promos, which are the only other ones that stand out.

PPV

Its been a decent year for PPVs really, there hasnt been a bad one yet as all of the minor ones have been extremely solid, and the Rumble and especially Wrestlemania were really great. I'll go the predictable route and say Wrestlemania XXIV. Had two really great matches, a couple of really good ones, and generally great entertainment throughout. Brilliant use of celebrities (Mayweather obviously, Snoopy the Dogg made that match fun, Raven-Symone was hilarious(ly bad) and men seem to like that porn star.) and awesomely awesome production and look. Top notch.

Newcomer

Well its pretty much between Kofi Kingston and Natalya Neidhart for me. Kofi did not interest me in the slightest for the first few months, but lately he's improved, had a great little feud with Shelton, and is now the IC Champ. Natalya has been pretty great since she debuted, destroying Cherry, cutting promos and being BFF with Victoria. However ever since she won the first Star on a Pole she's suffered from having nothing to do. Its really even for me. Hmm, I'll go for a more personal choice and pick Natalya.

Moment

There have been a fair few this year; John Cena's return, Show/Mayweather at NWO, "I'm sorry, I love you", Flair's retirement on Raw, Jericho's heel turn, Vince getting Rick Rolled, Taker being banished, Jeff kicking out of the Pedigree, Punk's big win on Raw. I'm going to have to pick something that most of you have seemingly forgotten about, which is understandable considering it happened so early in the year. Jeff Hardy's Lighting Rig Swanton on Randy Orton. Huge, hugely fun moment. Jeff's New Year push was amazing to watch in its sheer overness, and this has got to be the high point. Amazingly cool.

Heel- Edge: Edge has been great this year so far, he's always been in the main event of Smackdown and rightfully so. Even if Orton hasdn't gotten injured, i'd still have said Edge was the best heel thus far. He just knows how to get heat from doing very very little, and all the heat that Vickie gets its amazing, but a lot of that is thanks to Edge.

Runner Up - Randy Orton

Babyface - Triple H - No one really stands out to be honest. But trips has had plenty of good matches and unlike other good faces like Big Show and HBK, he's been cheerable throughout the course of the year.

Runner Up - Batista

Overall - Shawn Michaels - HBK has been awesome this year, he obviously couldn't get top baby face as he's had alot of non babyface actions. But still he's been superb and continued to giving it all. He got a brilliant match out of Flair at wrestlemania and really killed himself with that moonsault on the table and he's done brilliant with his selling over the last couple of months at getting some sympathy.

Runner Up - Edge

Female - Vicky Guerrero - Nice and easy this one. Vicky has been brilliant as the heel Smackdown GM recently and she was brilliant on Smackdown this week, just like she is every week. People can't help but dislike her and she's really learnt how to play the heat and work the crowd just right in her promos.

Runner up - Melina

Tag Team - Miz and Morrison- The Miz and Morrison are fantastic, not only are they the best tag team at the moment but they're the best tag team WWE have had in ages. Miz has gone from looking out of his depth as the weaker partner, to a joint vital part of the team. No other tag team comes close on this one.

Runners Up: LAX

Match - HBK vs Ric Flair - Looking back at matches, this one stands out above all, it was an unexpected gem and literally had everything you could ask for from television, it was quite simply brilliant.

Runner Up: Cena vs Triple H at Night of Champions

Promo - Edge 30/06/08 Raw Edge's promo last week was absolutely brilliant. He got so much heat from it and it led up to the start of probably the most memorable Raw of the year. Without that promo you wouldn't have had the heat for so such a long Batista beatdown, followed up by a title loss. To keep the heat for that long without laying a finger on anyone was amazing.

Runner up: Ric Flair retirement

PPV - Wrestlemania No other PPV has come close and its no suprise. Mania had some awesome matches this year, with it's 3 headliners all being superb.

Runner Up: No Way Out

Newcomer - Colin Delanay Seems a WWE title win have convinced people that kofi is a talent, i'm yet to be impressed of convinced that he's anything more than shelton Benjamin the 2nd. Delanay has been superb since he debuted, he's like the ultimate jobber and i find it hard to dislike that, looking at him there just seems no way he can win, he just makes everyone look rediculously good and thats his job! He's was a right find.

Runner Up - Katie Lea Burchill

Moment - Punk Wins, Punk Wins Honestly who is ever going to forget that moment, fan of punk or not, it was so well don't you could help but mark out.

Runner Up: Cena is 30th entrant in Royal Rumble

I dont get the love for that promo, or any Flair promo to be honest. All he does is scream, ramble on, get out of breath and drop elbows on his jacket.
That promo stood out because it didnt seem heavily scripted like everything else these days, if that promo was shot back in the day, it wouldnt have been thought of anything special I dont think.

I agree on Flair too, he is a crap promo guy for the most part IMO, just as he is an above average yet highly overrated worker.

Heel: Randy Orton. I like him, so I suppose it's ironic, but I think he plays the sadistic heel character brilliantly.

Face: I've came back to this one last, and there really haven't been ANY standouts. I'll say Samoa Joe...because...he gets cheered? And won the World Title. Although even with that he hasn't been that good at all.

Overall: Randy Orton. Better than any other face or heel.

Female: Beth Phoenix, although I prefer Mickie James & Melina, Beth has had better matches (although they've been with Melina & Mickie) and, although I don't like the term, "brought credibility back" to the Womens Title.

Tag Team: Miz & Morrison by 2 hundred trillion miles. The Dirt Sheet is always brilliant, Morrison in particular is hilarious, I don't care what people say, I think Miz is a great wrestler, as is Morrison, and they work brilliantly as a team. And separately.

Match: Yeah, the Royal Rumble. Probably my favourite ever Rumble. Great crowd, a few surprises, about 28 of the entrants got a good-to-great crowd reaction, so yeah, the Rumble match.

Promo: Does the Dirt Sheet count? Well, I'm going for the Dirt Sheet when they hold a seance with Mike Adamle, Paul Bearer and Funaki. Wrestling hasn't made me laugh (deliberately) so much in years.

PPV: The Royal Rumble. Had the so-far-MOTY, Orton-Hardy, a goodish Rey-Edge match, the Santino segment, I loved it all.

Newcomer: Again, a category with few standouts, so I'll go for Kofi Kingston, he's the only one who has shown any particular flare.

Moment: The seance on the Dirt Sheet.

Edited by Murph

Heel - Vicky Guerrero Why? No doubt in my mind she's a natural heel, I mean look at Edge's promo on RAW, where he claimed that we would never see him on RAW again, he mentioned Vicky once, and the crowd booed the holy crap outta him, she just get's natural heel heat, I could never imagin her face, and hope she doesnt turn face.

Face - Ric Flair Im surprised no one has mentioned him yet, Flair done amazing during the last few months of his career, he was a great face, and still gets a huge pop when ever his music hits or he's mentioned, although Batista comes close, I'll have to stick with Flair.

Overall - Chris Jericho Jericho returned and, for me as that was the first time I seen Y2J in a match or promo, greatly enjoyed his matches and promo's, but now that he's turned heel, I can see why ive heard people talking about how his return was not great, he's a natural heel and had some good matches since his return.

Female - Vicky Guerrero She's one of the top heels in WWE today in my opinion, I hear people in the audience struggle to hear her when she's speaking due to the volume of the boo's.

Tag Team - Miz & Morrison A great combination, Miz and Morrison are just great heels, they have great teamwork, and are good on mic, I wish they would get a match with some decent wrestlers.

Match - Flair Vs Shawn Michaels What a match, it was amazing, emotional..intense, a great finish. You knew Shawn would win, but you wanted to see if Flair could perform great one last time, and he sure as hell did.

Promo - Old Yeller A great promo, two veterans, in a game of respect, I remember watching this, and thinking, "Wrestlemania is going to blow the roof" Exactly what a promo should make you think.

PPV]/u] - Wrestlemania Flair vs HBK was amazing, stole the show in my opinion, and Edge Vs Undertaker was pretty good, I never watches the triple threat match in full for some reason, but I hear it was good. Mayweather Vs Big Show, I want so big on that, I didnt like the whole Big Show Mayweather angle so much, Mayweather couldnt work on the mic, I really didnt like him, and neither did the crowds I think.

Newcomer - Kofi Kingston I like watching this guy's matches, I particularly enjoyed his Noc match with Y2J, it was great, and Kofi played his part well.

Moment - Cena #30 Entrant I was shocked when Cena's music hit, but I completly marked out, like many others did, I was dieing for Cena to win as soon as his music hit.