WCW 1992, Semi Final 1 - Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat

Naitch

Who was better?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better?

• Rick Rude
    • Ricky Steamboat

Difficult one for me, if I was looking at longevity and consistency over a long period of time, it'd be Steamboat. Rude had maybe five real good years, Steamboat had maybe fifteen. Steamboat was probably always better in ring but Rude was a better talker and way more charismatic. If I was voting for my all time favourite between the two, it'd probably be Rude, that's no bad reflection on Steamboat there, just that Rude was cooler (as heels usually are).

In terms of 1992, Rude had probably slightly the better year (and they had a real good feud with each other with some good matches) so I'm going with him ever so slightly.

I had reason in my head saying Rude but something made me click Steamboat.I'm putting it down to Vader wanting to be fed some whiter than white prime babyface meat.

I remember at least one match between Vader and Steamboat that I haven't seen in ages which, from what I can remember, was really rather good. Weird that they never really had an extended feud considering they would have gone together like bacon and eggs or tits and ass. Steamboat being one of the ultimate sympathy gathering babyfaces who would sell stuff like he was about to die in the ring and Vader being...well, Vader being Vader. Would have been a perfect match.

I remember at least one match between Vader and Steamboat that I haven't seen in ages which, from what I can remember, was really rather good. Weird that they never really had an extended feud considering they would have gone together like bacon and eggs or tits and ass. Steamboat being one of the ultimate sympathy gathering babyfaces who would sell stuff like he was about to die in the ring and Vader being...well, Vader being Vader. Would have been a perfect match.

I don't think I have seen any Steamboat v Vader match which is a shame as like you say the two are perfect combination of uber heel and uber face.Steamboat was one of the best at getting sympathy while still looking like a credible threat and Vader was Vader.Which is about the only way you can describe him.I think all monster heels should be measured on the Vader scale,He is good but he just isn't Vader.Well we never had the feud but I want to give the match a watch.A world title match between the two would have been great.

Was that the television challenge thing? Damn that was some good worldwide back then.

Rude for me though. It was arguably his best year in a WCW ring, and he held the US title for most of the year and had excellent matches with it.