WWE Royal Rumble Discussion Thread- January 27, 2008 from New York City, NY

TPIB

Orton vs Hardy

Perfect example of why WWE can't "create" any new main eventers. They flush every opportunity straight down the toilet as it "interferes with their long term plans" (for HHH, in this case).

Well done, Steph, I see you're continuing to damage business at every turn....

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw 1992, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2007, and every other great Rumble event.

This, has been,

THE GREATEST ROYAL RUMBLE EVENT EVER!!!

I was planning to come on here and say how much I marked for:

-- The great fans

-- The great matches

-- The new crowd announcer guy making everything seem like a legit big event

-- The stage/set area

-- The fantastic video packages

-- Santino being awesome

-- The boxing-style title match announcements

-- Michael Buffer

-- Last year's final two being this year's #1 and #2

-- Fatboy Piper and Oldman Snuka

-- The great use of Morrison, Taker, Michaels, etc

-- The great reactions for Kennedy, Hornswoggle, and yes, even CM Punk

And I was all set to call this the best Rumble event ever.

And then just when you thought it could get no better,

JOHN MOTHERF**KING CENA!!!

I'll admit it - I marked like a little girl. And then he went and won. Totally leftfield and exactly what the Royal Rumble is all about. Unpredictable, and the crowd went INSANE for him. Ok, the boos were there for the punches, but that's just part of the fun. The crowd knows their role and popped like little marks when he came out and eliminated HHH.

WWE, you have officially reinvented my love for professional wrestling. I absolutely love you. And Cena, I've f**king missed you.

Edited by DraVen

I marked out for Cena big time- And I still thought Hunter was going to win.

Great suprise, great rumble.

Thought Santino was great in his role all night and for some reason I knew he was coming out third.

Great showing from Morrison as well.

The crowd was great all night.

Bit dissapointed Jeff didn't win, but I like the idea that Orton can pull an RKO out of nowhere.

Looks like Cena/Orton at WM, Taker/Michaels and maybe Kennedy/Flair.

Should be good.

Edited by Ravenmark

In all seriousness, is John Cena human? How on earth did he recover in 3 months when it was supposed to take at the very least 6?

And that was the best kept secret since God knows when. Nobody had ANY idea, and in 2008 that is an amazing achievement.

Even before Cena came I thought it was a great Rumble match, on par with last years.

what a great show. nice to see in the age of the internet that we can still be duped. The rumble match it self was great, never got too cluttered and when it came down to the final 3, you never seen that before where all 3 could have won. Hot crowd too.

Maybe Cena's injury wasn't as bad as the WWE made it to be. Maybe Vince and company knew that Cena was going to comeback in three months and just told us it was going to be six to fool us. Anyways, f'n Cena winning the Rumble has to be one of the MOST unexpected moments in WWE history.

PS: I didn't get to see the Rumble match but from what I can gather Morrison had a good showing in it and that makes me a happy puppy.

Maybe Cena's injury wasn't as bad as the WWE made it to be. Maybe Vince and company knew that Cena was going to comeback in three months and just told us it was going to be six to fool us. Anyways, f'n Cena winning the Rumble has to be one of the MOST unexpected moments in WWE history.

PS: I didn't get to see the Rumble match but from what I can gather Morrison had a good showing in it and that makes me a happy puppy.

Yeah, Morrison was in early and stayed a while, he was jumping around like crazy, he did really well.

And now that I've calmed down, some real thoughts.

The old-school entrance looked really cool, I enjoyed it.

Flair v MVP was OK, sloppy and slow at times, but you cant get much else out of Flair these days. Obvious result so its all good.

I really, really hated the beginning of the Y2J/JBL match. I thought it was stupid that Y2J calmly waited for him to come, and then they locked up 3 or 4 times before Jericho actually went after him and threw a punch. He should have been PISSED, damn it. However the rest of the match was spot on, and the ending was pretty cool. Sick bleeding too. I laughed at the bulldog botch though.

The backstage segment was fun enough, I wouldnt have minded Flair/Kennedy at NWO, which I hope we still get.

The crowd booing Rey made me sad, he's done nothing to deserve it apart from being booked like s***. It was a good match. Another match with a couple of botches though. Ending was really good, that spear looked sick as. Hopefully this means Rey isnt done with Edge yet, he deserves better.

Orton/Hardy was the best built-up title match that I can remember. Seriously, the videos and the build gave me goosebumps. The match was a bit weird to watch, it wasnt bad but I think I just expected a LOT from them after all of this. The big Jeff spots were cool. The ending was out of nowhere, but obviously thats what they were going for. I felt a bit empty afterwards, I just really, REALLY hope that they're not done with this either.

Michael Buffer announcing was cool. I had the thought at this point that the lack of build up for Rumble numbers and such made it exciting, as we had no idea when anyone was coming out. When Undie came out I knew HBK would too, that was brilliant, as was their interaction with each other the whole way through. Morrison did really well in it, as I said. Everyone did their bit, it was so well put together. The only thing I have a problem with was the jobbing out of Shelton. But the rest was great, the Undie and HBK eliminations were shocking, and the HHH/Batista anticipaton was fun, until BOOM. I actually didnt sell Cena's entrance at the time, I was too shocked to mark out loud I think. But the HHH/Cena stuff was amazing, and having the 3 last guys in like that was perfect. Smark crowds annoy me at a time like this, but I dont particularly care right now as they'd been like that all night. Finish was perfect. I just cant believe that happened.

Edited by Jimmy Redman

Holy s***, that was f***ing awesome.

Screw 1992, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2007, and every other great Rumble event.

This, has been,

THE GREATEST ROYAL RUMBLE EVENT EVER!!!

I was planning to come on here and say how much I marked for:

-- The great fans

-- The great matches

-- The new crowd announcer guy making everything seem like a legit big event

-- The stage/set area

-- The fantastic video packages

-- Santino being awesome

-- The boxing-style title match announcements

-- Michael Buffer

-- Last year's final two being this year's #1 and #2

-- Fatboy Piper and Oldman Snuka

-- The great use of Morrison, Taker, Michaels, etc

-- The great reactions for Kennedy, Hornswoggle, and yes, even CM Punk

And I was all set to call this the best Rumble event ever.

And then just when you thought it could get no better,

JOHN MOTHERF**KING CENA!!!

I'll admit it - I marked like a little girl. And then he went and won. Totally leftfield and exactly what the Royal Rumble is all about. Unpredictable, and the crowd went INSANE for him. Ok, the boos were there for the punches, but that's just part of the fun. The crowd knows their role and popped like little marks when he came out and eliminated HHH.

WWE, you have officially reinvented my love for professional wrestling. I absolutely love you. And Cena, I've f**king missed you.

I'M JUST QUOTING THIS TO EXPRESS MY FEELINGS ON THIS MATTER HOLY **** JOHN CENA

That's f'n nice to hear. I guess I'll be getting me a "copy" of the Rumble PPV tommorow.

PS: I guess Hardy's serious WWE title run is going to come around Summer Slam time. I thought MVP was a dead certain to win the MITB but since he'll probably be in the blow off match against Matt at WM 24 then that leaves Jeff (If they have a MITB match at WM24) to win the MITB briefcase.