Talk Whatever Online is becoming Deadicated Fans! Forum restructure is under construction ×

The last 5 star WWE Angle?

Da Showstoppa

With all this talking about creativity - and the WWE's struggles therein, I was wondering what you would consider the last top class WWE storyline / angle was ....

For me I think the one that delivered everything after an excellent buildup was Batista's breaking away from Evolution leading to the HHH Batista title match at Mania (WM21) That for me is the last truly great one.

Although the 222 promos have been done superbly - I await the payoff though.

If MVP wasn't in that feud, it would be horrible. Do you actually think it is textbook booking? It's not even close. In a wrestling promotion, these two people are having basketball and pizza eating contests...why? It's not building any interest in the eventual match and it's almost like it's being used as filler material. I don't dislike the feud, but it's absolutely clear MVP is carrying it and without him, people would be thinking it's plain horrible. Same thing for a feud like Eddie vs. Rey. If it was between Batista and Kane, almost everyone would be sh*tting on it, but because you had two good wrestlers, it became bearable. It's not good booking in the slightest and the only think that makes it interesting is MVP. I don't think this feud is proof that the WWE can book good feuds, all it is to me is proof that MVP is gold. If you swapped him for, say, Carlito, it would be the worst thing on WWE television.

I don't know what was the last good feud. Maybe Umaga vs. Cena, but that certainly wasn't 5 stars. Triple H vs, Batista is the last great story they built up, but probably not 5 star. I'd probably go to the early 90's for the last time, sadly.

I liked Batista vs. Triple H up until they had the match and then it went quickly down the crapper after that. Batista in the space of a couple months went from getting literally zero reaction to being probably the most over babyface on the roster outside of maybe Cena. They kinda fell into it after Orton as a babyface went down like a lead balloon. Apart from the invisible cameraman rubbish when Batista found out they were screwing around with him, there were a lot of great little things about it.

No one else remembers the segment but one of my favourite things during the feud was after Flair and Trips beat up Danny Hodge, Stacy and JR and were giggling like schoolgirls about it backstage, bragging about each one to Batista, trying to get his approval who responded coolly and sarcastically each time with 'Danny Hodge? How old is that guy?', 'JR? JR, the ANNOUNCER?', 'Stacy Keibler? Tiny, 110lbs Stacy Keibler?' and he came across as the coolest mother alive while Triple H was bragging about beating up an old timer, a woman and a commentator. For once, they actually built a smart babyface.

The Wrestlemania match itself was rubbish as was nearly everything afterwards but the slow build and payoff to the turn of Batista with him putting Triple H through the table was excellent.

If MVP wasn't in that feud, it would be horrible. Do you actually think it is textbook booking? It's not even close. In a wrestling promotion, these two people are having basketball and pizza eating contests...why? It's not building any interest in the eventual match and it's almost like it's being used as filler material. I don't dislike the feud, but it's absolutely clear MVP is carrying it and without him, people would be thinking it's plain horrible. Same thing for a feud like Eddie vs. Rey. If it was between Batista and Kane, almost everyone would be sh*tting on it, but because you had two good wrestlers, it became bearable. It's not good booking in the slightest and the only think that makes it interesting is MVP. I don't think this feud is proof that the WWE can book good feuds, all it is to me is proof that MVP is gold. If you swapped him for, say, Carlito, it would be the worst thing on WWE television.

I don't know what was the last good feud. Maybe Umaga vs. Cena, but that certainly wasn't 5 stars. Triple H vs, Batista is the last great story they built up, but probably not 5 star. I'd probably go to the early 90's for the last time, sadly.

Early 90's? You'd go back that far?

What about the NWO? Bret turning heel or his entire feud with Austin? DDP escaping the NWO? Austin and Vince? Heck even the whole HHH/Angle thing in 2000 was very well done?

Not saying they are are all necessarily 5 stars, but surely going back to the early 90's, misses out a lot of potential 5 star stuff.

But I do agree with you on nothing being anywhere near 5 star for the last 3 years or so at least.

Early 90's? You'd go back that far?

What about the NWO? Bret turning heel or his entire feud with Austin? DDP escaping the NWO? Austin and Vince? Heck even the whole HHH/Angle thing in 2000 was very well done?

Not saying they are are all necessarily 5 stars, but surely going back to the early 90's, misses out a lot of potential 5 star stuff.

But I do agree with you on nothing being anywhere near 5 star for the last 3 years or so at least.

Out of those you listed, I'd consider the nWo angle 5 star, definetly. I would have nominated it, but it's just WWE angles, but yeah, I do think it was perfect.

I did like the Hart stuff that you mentioned, but I don't think it was enough to be classed as "perfect". I don't have any major faults with what acually happened, but it could have been better. Same for the DDP angle. I really liked Triple H/Angle too, but I wouldn't say it was perfect, either.

I don't know what else I would consider 5 star, though. Maybe Hogan and Andre? Despite the WM3 match being abysmal, it was a quality angle.

The WWE have had loads of great feuds, but very few that I would say are perfect. There is a lot more in WCW/NWA, for sure. I don't think I'm being over critical either, I just don't rate them that highly.

Out of those you listed, I'd consider the nWo angle 5 star, definetly. I would have nominated it, but it's just WWE angles, but yeah, I do think it was perfect.

I did like the Hart stuff that you mentioned, but I don't think it was enough to be classed as "perfect". I don't have any major faults with what acually happened, but it could have been better. Same for the DDP angle. I really liked Triple H/Angle too, but I wouldn't say it was perfect, either.

I don't know what else I would consider 5 star, though. Maybe Hogan and Andre? Despite the WM3 match being abysmal, it was a quality angle.

The WWE have had loads of great feuds, but very few that I would say are perfect. There is a lot more in WCW/NWA, for sure. I don't think I'm being over critical either, I just don't rate them that highly.

I suppose its hard to say what makes a perfect angle because ultimately its only perfect if what happens afterwards all goes perfectly.

For me the Austin/Bret WM13 angle was perfect, because it literally launched both wrestler's personas over the rest of the year.

Where as you can have something like HBK nailing Jannety, which could have gone down as even more legendary had Jannety not got himself fired?

Its tough really.

Triple H/Angle, I wouldn't call a 5* one because the blowoff was screwed up. They attracted A LOT of attention with that angle and I remember people talking about just how much the female demographic had risen because of that one angle but the blowoff with Stephanie turning on Angle in favour of Triple H, Trips giving her the uber weird bloody kiss and then it being gone like a fart in the wind and totally forgotten about pissed all over the build.

You can maybe also level some criticism at Vince vs. Austin because it should have ended probably 6 months before it did (Valentine's Day Massacre I guess) instead of tacking on another 6 months with the crappy Higher Power stuff like it was a super bad sequel to the great first film. Same as nWo actually, they kept it going too long, it should have ended around Starrcade 97 or soon after.

Bret vs. Austin, for me, is about as close as you can get to a 5* feud though.

Hulkamania vs HBK was great. Both men started as tag team partners, the elecricity we get from the one more match, one more match, one more match, and have it actually happen. Then suddenly boom Superkick, HBK was a heel again for a split second, and it boiled down at Summerslam, with the infamous flopping around the ring.

Hulkamania vs HBK was great. Both men started as tag team partners, the elecricity we get from the one more match, one more match, one more match, and have it actually happen. Then suddenly boom Superkick, HBK was a heel again for a split second, and it boiled down at Summerslam, with the infamous flopping around the ring.

All HBK was trying to do is compensate for Hogan's little movement that he could give. :D

Maybe a moot and obvious point to make but screw it I'll make it anyway. I think in order to be a great 5 star angle, it has to have a great beginning that hooks you in from the start, a great middle and a great blowoff finale. How many would people consider to be like that? I definately think Bret vs. Austin is right up there with Funk vs. Flair from 1989 probably the be all and end all.