Iron Man (movie)

DC

The latest comic-book hero to be brought to life, and set to be released in 2008 alongside The Dark Knight, Wolverine, The Incredible Hulk and (maybe) Punisher 2 (which has lost Thomas Jane in the title role) is Iron Man, the story of billionaire mogul Tony Stark and his alter-ego, Iron Man.

There is a great cast listed for the movie, including....

Robert Downey, Jr. - Tony Stark/Iron Man

Terrence Howard - James Rhodes (Stark's bodyguard, who becomes Iron Man in the comics for a period, but is best known for being the similarly designed War Machine).

Gwyneth Paltrow - Virginia "Pepper" Potts (Stark's secretary)

Jeff Bridges - Obadiah Stane/Iron Monger (Tony Stark's mentor, and now his main business rival. He is also the man behind main villain, Iron Monger).

But all of that pales into insignificance when you see the latest big-name actor to be signed to the movie. Samuel L. Jackson has agreed to star in the movie, and he will be playing none other than Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. The last person to play Nick Fury in a live-action setting? Well, that would be The Hoff.

I'll add more news (and pictures when I get home) as and when it's released.

Official Site

Edited by DC

I think this looks ace, and might very well prove to be a bit of a dark horse in terms of how it does, and how good it is. Robert Downey Jr is always fantastic, but that supporting cast is pure quality. If they can capture Tony Starks's fallibility, which has always made him appealing, it will be utterly fantastic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OH MY GOD!!!

Hurt Confirms Iron Man To Appear In Hulk

Marvel is blowing our mindsSource: MTV

People have long been awhisperin' on the interwebs that there would be some kind of crossover between Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. William Hurt has now confirmed that he has a scene in the Hulk movie with Mr Robert Downey Jr, aka Tony Stark, aka Iron Man.

"It’s a funky scene. I don’t know how it’ll work,” says Hurt, who plays General Thaddeus Ross, father of Betty Ross (Liv Tyler). “I know it’s weird [to work with a character from another movie], and to know it’s a device. We did something; I don’t know what that’s going to be like [to watch].” You can read the rest of the interview here.

This is going to prove controversial for the film and some will call it a shameless attempt by Marvel to cross promote their movies. But we think it's pretty neat. These characters are all supposed to exist in the same world, so it makes sense that they'd be aware of each other. Some are saying this is an indication that Marvel is preparing to move ahead with a movie version of The Avengers (Marvel's equivalent of The Justice League), but, given the cost and tricky logistics in trying to put something like that together, we wouldn't expect an announcement on this anytime soon.

Olly Richards

• 1 month later...
Isnt Robert Downey Jr the guy who is always screwed up on some cocktail of coke and other drugs?

Also, is he any relation to Morton Downeyr who annoyed Roddy Piper at WMV?

He's been clean for a good while now (since 2001) and been in work quite a bit since then. The video he did for Elton John was the first major thing he did after becoming clean, followed by movies that include (and apologies for being longwinded)...

2003: The Singing Detective

2003: Gothika (not his best)

2005: The Outsider (documentary)

2005: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (bloody brilliant)

2005: Good Night, and Good Luck (this is great too)

2006: A Scanner Darkly (this is a Marmite movie)

2006: A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints

2007: Zodiac (I think this was criminally overlooked at the awards)

And he's got the following coming up...

2008: Iron Man

2008: The Incredible Hulk (cameo as Tony Stark, his character from Iron Man)

2008: Tropic Thunder (new Ben Stiller comedy where he plays an actor alongside Stiller and an blonde Jack Black. Downey, Jr plays a method actor who replaces an African-American, but orders them not to rewrite the role. Instead, he dyes himself black to play the part)

2008: The Soloist (a true-story about a troubled musician. Robert plays a journalist who writes the musician's story. It's got Oscar written all over it)

Hmm, from that poster, is the rather minxy Black Widow in it perchance? Looking forward to this immensely. Mr Downey may have had a questionable past in terms of drug usage, but he's a truly brilliant actor. Could be ace.
Gwyneth Paltrow plays Virginia "Pepper" Potts, Stark's secretary.

There's no listing for any of the Black Widows in the cast listing, but that doesn't mean they won't feature. Nick Fury is in the movie though, played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Iron Monger is the villain of the movie, but The Mandarin is going to be a presence in the world. According to the director, he's going to be in the background like Palpatine in Phantom Menace.

Marvel seem to be trying to get as much into their movies as possible. Over in The Incredible Hulk, Doc Samson and The Leader (well, Samuel Sterns) are both slated to be featured.

• 1 month later...

As an update, please, if you go to see the movie, stay until after the end credits have rolled; you're in for a sweet, sweet surprise.

ONLY READ IF YOU WANT IT SPOILED FOR YOU!!!!

At the end of the credits, Stark comes home and finds Nick Fury in his living room - staring towards the window. He then turns to tell Stark he's the not the only superhero in the world. Stark asks who he is, and Fury turns and says he's "Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D, and I'm here to talk to you about The Avengers Initiative".

Edited by DC