New Star Trek movie **mild BBC pace Heroes spoiler**

Tio

If the movie isnt The Next Generation crew, I'm not interested. Boooooo.

Original Series > The Next Generation.

With Abrams directing this one, it could be the best one yet (although they're gonna struggle to top The Voyage Home). Apparently its out Christmas day 2008 in the USA. I hope we get the same here, it'd be a decent christmas present.

• 2 months later...

credit: Empireonline.com

Well, colour us surprised. JJ Abrams' Star Trek re-boot has found its Scotty and it's one Simon Pegg. We would have laid money on the role of chief engineer going to massive Star Trek geek and real live Scot James McAvoy. But we're not going to argue with the choice, since we're sure Pegg will do a terrific job.

Pegg's not the only new Enterprise crew member this morning. John Cho, the Harold half of Harold and Kumar, will play Sulu, the ship's Helmsman.

That makes the Enterprise bridge all but full. As well as Pegg and Cho, Zachary Quinto is Spock, Zoe Saldana is Uhura and Anton Yelchin is Chekhov. Chris Pine is said to be in discussions to play the key role of Captain Kirk. With Eric Bana also on board as the villain, that leaves only first Enterprise captain, Christopher Pike, and Kirk's parents to be filled. And also, as someone just reminded me, Bones

Taken from totalfilm.com...

Eric Bana is Star Trek's villain!

While co-writer Roberto Orci talks more details.

10 Oct 2007 1:30pm

JJ Abrams' take on big screen Star Trek just bagged itself its biggest name yet (well, unless you're a Trek fan, in which case Leonard Nimoy is the top dog, but anyhoo.). Eric Bana has signed on to play the villain, Nero in the movie.

Of course, we don't yet know what his big plot will be about - Abrams and his co-writers, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have refused to spill any story details - but it's likely he'll be cursing the names Kirk, Spock and McCoy before the final credits roll.

There's one big, new (ie not Kirk and co) character still to be cast - that of a mysterious Federation captain. And while it was rumoured that Abrams was chasing Tom Cruise for that role, nothing has been locked down.

We do know, however, that Nimoy will be playing the elder Spock, with Zachary Quinto playing his young counterpart alongside Anton Yelchin as Chekov and Zoe Saldana as Uhura. Poseidon's Mike Vogel has been rumoured as Kirk, but there's no word on that yet.

Meanwhile, Roberto Orci has been spilling a few details to Trekmovie.com, admitting that they've just bashed out the latest draft of the script and - no doubt part of the reason Bana decided to do it - made the part of the villain meatier. "It is better. It is tighter. The villain is much better; in a first draft you tend to focus on your heroes," Orci told the site. And with Spock such a focus of the early casting, anyone worried that Kirk would be sidelined can get some reassurance here. "It is Lennon and McCartney. However, Spock's role is key in that we also have Nimoy. Having said that, Kirk is Star Trek and he is as essential."

Check out more of the interview here.

Eric Bana should add some more gravitas to the movie.

Credit :www.rte.ie

The identity of the actor who will play the young Captain Kirk in 'Lost' creator JJ Abrams' new 'Star Trek' movie has been revealed.

On his official blog, 'White Jazz' director Joe Carnahan said that actor Chris Pine had left that film so that he could play Kirk.

Pine's other films include the Lindsay Lohan-starring 'Just My Luck' and Carnahan's action movie 'Smokin' Aces'.

AdvertisementHe joins 'Heroes' star Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Leonard Nimoy and Eric Bana in the new film, which is due out at Christmas 2008.

'Star Trek' begins shooting next month and will continue filming until March.

Kirk is pissed off:lol,

Actor William Shatner has criticised director JJ Abrams and the producers of the new 'Star Trek' prequel - for not finding him a meaty role in the film.

Shatner, who played Captain James Kirk in the original 'Star Trek' TV series and movies, has denied reports he is set for a cameo in the new film.

He insists he wouldn't take such a role even if it was offered to him, stating: "I don't do cameos... I can't imagine what I would do as a cameo."

But he is upset that he's not among the cast of the new project: "Here's a show with my identity in it and not to be part of it is disappointing... It is a strange construction."

Shatner's 'Star Trek' sidekick and pal Leonard Nimoy will be the only original cast member on board for the prequel

• 2 months later...