iMPACT Discussion Thread - 28th June 2007

Guest FreeSpirit

Guest FreeSpirit

Preview:

USA: Thursday 28th June on Spike TV at 9/8c

UK: Saturday 7th July on Bravo 2 at 9pm

ONE NIGHT...ONE MATCH...ONE TITLE ON THE LINE

28th June 2007

This Saturday night on Bravo 2, TNA Wrestling will present a very special broadcast of iMPACT as it will be ONE NIGHT…ONE MATCH…ONE TITLE ON THE LINE!

TNA Management Director Jim Cornette has ordered that the TNA World Heavyweight Title be defended this week on iMPACT as it will be Champion and Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle defending against "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage and "The War Machine" Rhino!

Certainly, it's rare that the World Heavyweight Championship is defended on iMPACT, but TNA Management Director Jim Cornette has vowed to "shake things up" in the weeks leading to the "Victory Road" Pay-Per-View. The winner of the title bout will go on to the "Match Of Champions" main event at "Victory Road" on Sunday 15th July.

Can "The Instant Classic" Christian Cage regain the World Heavyweight Championship? Will "The War Machine" Rhino GORE his way to another title reign? Or, will Kurt Angle overcome the odds to retain the gold heading into the Pay-Per-View? All three TNA stars have a bloody and violent history with each other – and with the World Title on the line, all hell is sure to break loose!

TNAwrestling.com has also learned that nearly the entire roster will be on hand to watch the World Title match unfold on the broadcast!

Don’t miss this very special episode of iMPACT this Saturday night on Bravo 2 starting at 9pm![/Quote]

Edited by FreeSpirit

Guest FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit: pwinsider.com

*TNA champion Kurt Angle defeated Christian Cage and Rhino in what was said to be an amazing blowaway match. Samoa Joe came to the ring before the match. He slapped Angle before the match and they brawled into the crowd and towards the concession area before security pulled them apart. They started the match. Abyss came out during the bout, which led to Cage leaving the ring. They brawl out of the Impact Zone. Tomko and Styles jump Abyss outside for the save. The match is continuing in the ring at the same time with Rhino goring Angle through a table. Cage returns and tries to cover Angle but Chris Harris pulls him off. Tomko and Styles attack Harris. Abyss returns and goes after Styles and Tomko. Sting appears and goes after Tomko and Cage. James Storm hits the ring and pours beer on Rhino and spits in his face. Angle hits the Olympic Slam for the pin. Really crazy main event that lasted 30-35 minutes.[/Quote]

I think this match might have covered the entire show if like the reporter said, it lasts for 30-35 minutes

Xplosion:

*Senshi defeated Petey Williams and Jerry Lynn after pinning Williams with a double stomp.

*Gail Kim defeated Tracy Brooks and Jackie Moore in a three-way, pinning Moore.

*Basham & Damaja defeated Voodoo Kin Mafia after Lance Hoyt interfered.

*Sonjay Dutt defeated Martyr (Matt Bentley). Havoc tripped Sonjay, which led to Kaz getting involved. Dutt used the Camel Clutch for the submission.

*LAX defeated Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin. Only five minutes but really good for what it was. The referee was bumped, which led to Bob Backlund coming out. Homicide hit a low kick on Sabin and rolled him up. Backlund scored the three count.[/Quote]

I really look forward to watching this on mute. I don't think I'll be able to take West and Tenay marking out and confused, and then marking out some more, maybe with a few "You gotta be kidding me~!!!"s thrown in, for over half an hour straight.

Guest The Great Ahmar
While the Main Event looks great, is there any word on if Ricky Bandares did debut at these tapings like said? Edited by The Great Ahmar

Guest Slim Jim

It'll be interesting to see if this show gets a ratings spike as they are confirming in the commercials that it's just the match for the whole hour. They rarely suceed when they advertise a PPV level match, but people by now expect them to last 2 minutes at most before a DQ, so this might work.

Looking at the spoilers it really is a TNA PPV quality main event (ie. brawl in the crowd and run ins). I guess they figured if they are going to only have one match, they need to build as many feuds as they can during it.

By: Bryan Alvarez

The Fight Network

bryanalvarez@f4wonline.com

I'm pretty much drained from talking and writing about Chris Benoit, so this week I want to change the subject a bit and discuss the best match in the history of TNA Impact.

Yes, the best match ever. That's what I heard. Two weeks ago I heard that next week's show was the best Impact ever, focused around one single match, and that some people were calling the match the best in the history of the show.

That sounds like a pretty good match, I thought to myself.

The match ended up being Kurt Angle vs. Christian vs. Rhino in what was called a qualifying match for the Match of Champions at the next PPV. The creatively-titled "Match of Champions" is, quite simple, a match where all the champions are in a match together. The champions leading into the greatest Impact of all time were TNA Champion Kurt Angle, Tag Champions Team 3-D, and X-Division Champion Samoa Joe.

So how does the Match of Champions work? Well, apparently it's a four-way, and whoever gets the pin wins the title of the guy he pinned. So if Samoa Joe pins Kurt Angle, he becomes the new TNA Heavyweight Champion. Other fascinating possibilities include D-Von Dudley pinning Kurt Angle and becoming TNA World Heavyweight Champion, or Brother Ray pinning Samoa Joe to begin a reign of terror in the X-Division. It was explained that if a singles star pinned either of Team 3-D, that person would win the Tag Titles and be given the opportunity to choose any partner he wanted. It was never explained what would happen if, say, Joe pinned Angle. Would Joe have to give up the X-Division Title? Would he become a double-champion? TNA did not deem these details important enough to fill us in on them. In other words, from what we have been told and from looking at the possibilities, it seems obvious that the finish of the match will be Joe pinning team jobber D-Von, winning the Tag Titles, and then choosing Angle as his partner, because no month in TNA can be complete without two guys who hate each other teaming up together for a series of matches.

So anyway, there is this Match of Champions deal coming up at the PPV, and so for a few weeks they have been having these things called "qualifying matches". Basically, everyone in the PPV match was going to have to defend their title, and if they lost the belt, well, they weren't a champion anymore and wouldn't be in the Match of Champions. This happened to Jay Lethal, in fact. He was the X-Division Champion but he lost the title to Samoa Joe in a qualifying match. So he didn't qualify. In other words, the qualifying matches were simply title matches, and if you retained your title you qualified for the PPV match and if you lost the title than you did not qualify.

I hope no one is confused yet.

So the best match in the history of TNA started with Samoa Joe coming out to shake hands with all the men in the ring. He shook hands with Rhino and Christian and then attacked Kurt Angle. They proceeded to brawl all over the building. Apparently this was completely legal. Later, we were filled into the fact, in passing, that there were no DQ's in this match. My understanding is that TNA management figurehead Jim Cornette was so determined that we have a clean winner that he ruled that the match could not end via DQ, which, in fact, opened up the door for a hundred men to run in and eliminate any possibility of having a clean winner. Jim Cornette didn't bother to explain how you could have a DQ in a triple threat match anyway. If one man got disqualified, which of the other two would be ruled the winner? It's hard to determine which is more confusing, a DQ in a three-way or a no-DQ three-way to ensure a clean winner.

I was exaggerating when I said the door was opened for a hundred men to run in. In reality, only seven men ran in. Joe was first, and then a few minutes later Abyss waddled to the ring. He brawled backstage with Christian, but then he was attacked by run-ins three and four, those being Tomko and AJ Styles. Christian eventually tried to pin Angle, setting up man number five's run-in, Chris Harris. For some reason, Harris, a babyface, didn't want to see Angle, a heel, lose the World Title. Man number six, Sting, then ran down the aisle. Announcer Mike Tenay promptly screamed, "WHY IS STING GETTING INVOLVED?" This was an excellent question. At one point they went to commercial -- one of about fifteen -- and when they returned there were eight of the nine men all brawling in the ring at the same time, and Mike Tenay alerted fans that might have tuned in late that we were in the middle of a three-way qualifying match. This was the line of the year. Kurt eventually won the match with a pin on Rhino after run-in number seven, James Storm, spat beer in Rhino's face. Tenay's line of the year ended up getting trumped within 10 minutes as Don West wrapped up his commentary by stating how outraged he was that James Storm had INTERFERED IN THIS MATCH.

So the best match in Impact history was over. I sit here a week later, and had I not just typed this whole thing up I would have completely forgotten who won, and in fact my only vivid memory of the entire one-hour spectacle was the shot of the eight men fighting in the three-way match when we came back from commercial. I think that the idea was to use this one match as a backdrop to set up a bunch of feuds, but unfortunately when you try to set up four or five different feuds in the course of one match, by the time its over you're left with nothing, ironically, having made any sort of impact. Maybe I'm in the minority and maybe wrestling has passed me by, because the fans in the building sure seemed to enjoy themselves. I guess that's half the battle. Well, probably significantly less than half since all those fans got in free, but I digress.

In the end, I came out of this show with a major headache and the feeling that if this is a sign of things to come with two hour shows, well, I'll be happy to stick with one hour. Or preferably 30 minutes.

Well, apparently it's a four-way, and whoever gets the pin wins the title of the guy he pinned. So if Samoa Joe pins Kurt Angle, he becomes the new TNA Heavyweight Champion. Other fascinating possibilities include D-Von Dudley pinning Kurt Angle and becoming TNA World Heavyweight Champion, or Brother Ray pinning Samoa Joe to begin a reign of terror in the X-Division. It was explained that if a singles star pinned either of Team 3-D, that person would win the Tag Titles and be given the opportunity to choose any partner he wanted. It was never explained what would happen if, say, Joe pinned Angle. Would Joe have to give up the X-Division Title? Would he become a double-champion? TNA did not deem these details important enough to fill us in on them.
It's not a four-way, it's a tag-match, with Joe/Angle v Team 3D, which makes almost all of this rant invalid. Some better research would go a long way here methinks.

Do you really blame him for being confused about it? I too can't remember anything that happened in that match.
A reporter should know what he's reporting about, and the fact it was billed as a tag-match for Victory Road the day it was announced means that Alvarez didn't do his research properly. It's on the TNA website that it's a tag match, the talk on TV was about how Joe is going to make sure Angle doesn't get hurt leading up to the PPV. Joe's promo was about how he was going to win the tag belts, and then go on AFTER the PPV to fight for (and win) the WHT from Angle to complete the set.

All of the above happened outside the match on iMPACT, so there is nothing in the match to confuse the issue. All of the above invalidates his rant about the "four-way" match he is talking about.

To continue on with the crap reporting.....

So anyway, there is this Match of Champions deal coming up at the PPV, and so for a few weeks they have been having these things called "qualifying matches". Basically, everyone in the PPV match was going to have to defend their title, and if they lost the belt, well, they weren't a champion anymore and wouldn't be in the Match of Champions. This happened to Jay Lethal, in fact. He was the X-Division Champion but he lost the title to Samoa Joe in a qualifying match. So he didn't qualify. In other words, the qualifying matches were simply title matches, and if you retained your title you qualified for the PPV match and if you lost the title than you did not qualify.

I hope no one is confused yet.

What's so confusing. You defend your belt. If you retain, then you go on to the PPV. If you lose the title, then the new champ takes your place. It's hardly quantum physics.

So the best match in the history of TNA started with Samoa Joe coming out to shake hands with all the men in the ring. He shook hands with Rhino and Christian and then attacked Kurt Angle. They proceeded to brawl all over the building. Apparently this was completely legal. Later, we were filled into the fact, in passing, that there were no DQ's in this match. My understanding is that TNA management figurehead Jim Cornette was so determined that we have a clean winner that he ruled that the match could not end via DQ, which, in fact, opened up the door for a hundred men to run in and eliminate any possibility of having a clean winner. Jim Cornette didn't bother to explain how you could have a DQ in a triple threat match anyway. If one man got disqualified, which of the other two would be ruled the winner? It's hard to determine which is more confusing, a DQ in a three-way or a no-DQ three-way to ensure a clean winner.
Firstly, he didn't shake hands with Christian. Secondly, he moans about not being told it's no-DQ, then bitches about how you can't have a DQ finish a three-way anyway. I always thought it was common knowledge that three- and four-way (non-elimination) matches are usually no DQ by default.

I do however agree with this, and his comments about Tenay & West.

I think that the idea was to use this one match as a backdrop to set up a bunch of feuds, but unfortunately when you try to set up four or five different feuds in the course of one match, by the time its over you're left with nothing, ironically, having made any sort of impact.
Edited by DC

Guest Dave7g
Bryan has resorted to making things up about TNA shows, in order to whinge and moan about them. He really picks things apart far too much. He could so easily do the same for Raw or Smackdown, but he won't.

Bryan has resorted to making things up about TNA shows, in order to whinge and moan about them. He really picks things apart far too much. He could so easily do the same for Raw or Smackdown, but he won't.
I can't really haul him up for that, as it would be a pot-kettle situation, but the glaring factual errors in that report are ridiculous.

With the many things that TNA are doing wrong (and WWE are doing things wrong too, but we're talking about TNA here), to pick on something that he apparently knows nothing about is stupid at best or biased and ill-informed at worst.