Your Favourite "Cult" Movie

King

I just think the only problem then is every film ever made can be classified as a cult film if it doesn't matter how big the budget was, how successful it was, what genre, mainstream or not etc is. That means everything is cult, so surely that can't be?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think the only problem then is every film ever made can be classified as a cult film if it doesn't matter how big the budget was, how successful it was, what genre, mainstream or not etc is. That means everything is cult, so surely that can't be?
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I should have been more detailed.

A small budget doesn't automatically mean it's a cult movie, just as a larger budget doesn't automatically exclude it from cult status. A successful movie can be classed as cult, just the same as a poorly performing movie may just be sh*te rather than cultish. A mainstream movie can be a cult film in the same way a minor genre pic doesn't automatically become a cult movie.

I hope that's clearer.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I should have been more detailed.

A small budget doesn't automatically mean it's a cult movie, just as a larger budget doesn't automatically exclude it from cult status. A successful movie can be classed as cult, just the same as a poorly performing movie may just be sh*te rather than cultish. A mainstream movie can be a cult film in the same way a minor genre pic doesn't automatically become a cult movie.

I hope that's clearer.

So every film is a cult movie?

No.

For example, The Wizard of Oz or Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Life of Brian are considered cult movies, despite being seen by almost everyone, yet Strange Days isn't, even though very few people have seen it. Hence not being seen by a lot of people doesn't mean it's a cult film.

Snakes on a Plane is considered as a cult movie, even though that had some success on it's release and starred a Hollywood icon. So a movie doesn't need to be a flop to be classed as a cult. American Beauty is another that falls into this category. Fight Club also did decent (not great) business when it opened, with a cast that featured plenty of big names.

Not all movies are cult films, otherwise we would just call them films, but to say a cult movie needs to be low-budget, a flop on release or be seen by virtually no-one is not accurate.

I think I have the topic for the next newsletter, lol.

Edited by DC

No.

For example, The Wizard of Oz or Monty Python and the Holy Grail/Life of Brian are considered cult movies, despite being seen by almost everyone, yet Strange Days isn't, even though very few people have seen it. Hence not being seen by a lot of people doesn't mean it's a cult film.

Snakes on a Plane is considered as a cult movie, even though that had some success on it's release and starred a Hollywood icon. So a movie doesn't need to be a flop to be classed as a cult. American Beauty is another that falls into this category. Fight Club also did decent (not great) business when it opened, with a cast that featured plenty of big names.

Not all movies are cult films, otherwise we would just call them films, but to say a cult movie needs to be low-budget, a flop on release or be seen by virtually no-one is not accurate.

I think I have the topic for the next newsletter, lol.

But why isn't Strange Days a cult movie then? See what I mean, how do you get the criteria to say its not?

How do you classify it?

EDIT: Just found this, which again confirms what I'm saying how do you categorise it this way.

http://www.thelostmovies.com/Strange_Days.html

Edited by Jung

But why isn't Strange Days a cult movie then? See what I mean, how do you get the criteria to say its not?

How do you classify it?

I classify Strange days as a dark sci-fi film.

I was using that as an example, not the definitive rule (if there even is such a thing) on it.

What I am trying to say is that a cult film doesn't need to be low-budget, it doesn't need to have been a failure, it doesn't need to have been seen by less than twelve people and it doesn't need to be unusual or wierd.

Not all movies are cult movies.

Not all low-budget movies are cult films.

Not all high-budget films are non-cult movies.

A movie that has been seen by millions can be a cult movie.

A movie that has been seen by a minorty (Zyzzyx Road) can be just terrible rather than cultish.

Not all movies that did poor (Zyzzyx Road) at the box-office are cult movies.

Not all movies that did great at the box-office (Blair Witch) are excluded from being cult movies.

Most cult movies are low-budget or unsuccessful on release, but it is a guideline rather than a rule. That is the point I was trying to make since Kurtmark stopped posting in the thread when his argument was defeated by others.

Various factors....none of them defined as hard and fast rules.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Have do you classify a cult then, how do you define it? Thus any film is a cult film, and from your previous arguments you've now totally contradicted yourself.

Everything is a cult film then by what you're saying, as they each have various factors which could technically classify them.

Lol basically what I'm getting at is, while I still don't agree with Kurtmark's interpretation of a cult film......at least he can define what one is. If you can't do that, the term "cult film" has absolutely no worth at all.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Have do you classify a cult then
You've got to love the fact that you accuse me of making no sense and then follow it up with a sentence that makes no sense.:greets4: As for a cult, I classify a cult as a gathering of people that are quite sinister.

Everything is a cult film then by what you're saying, as they each have various factors which could technically classify them.
I never said that everything is a cult film, you misinterpreted it as such.

What I said was that a low-budget film isn't always a cult film, so it's not a hard and fast rule to go by. I also said that a high-budget movie could be a cult movie. The fact that I'm using words like could, need and the like means I am not saying every movie is a cult movie. I'm simply stating that certain criteria considered to be stereotypical of a cult movie doesn't make it so.

Lol basically what I'm getting at is, while I still don't agree with Kurtmark's interpretation of a cult film......at least he can define what one is. If you can't do that, the term "cult film" has absolutely no worth at all.
So what you're saying is that if I make up some bullsh*t theory, that somehow validates my opinion?

Kurtmark didn't define what a cult movie is, he defined what makes some movies "cult", while dismissing other movies as non-cult when they obviously are.

If I had to be pushed into a definition of what makes a cult movie, then I would say it is a movie that has a following or a unique fanbase. A movie that unites a body of people regardless of the budget, cast, success, genre, length, or mainstreamability.

You've got to love the fact that you accuse me of making no sense and then follow it up with a sentence that makes no sense.:greets4: As for a cult, I classify a cult as a gathering of people that are quite sinister.

I never said that everything is a cult film, you misinterpreted it as such.

What I said was that a low-budget film isn't always a cult film, so it's not a hard and fast rule to go by. I also said that a high-budget movie could be a cult movie. The fact that I'm using words like could, need and the like means I am not saying every movie is a cult movie. I'm simply stating that certain criteria considered to be stereotypical of a cult movie doesn't make it so.

So what you're saying is that if I make up some bullsh*t theory, that somehow validates my opinion?

Kurtmark didn't define what a cult movie is, he defined what makes some movies "cult", while dismissing other movies as non-cult when they obviously are.

If I had to be pushed into a definition of what makes a cult movie, then I would say it is a movie that has a following or a unique fanbase. A movie that unites a body of people regardless of the budget, cast, success, genre, length, or mainstreamability.

But it makes no sense to say "exhibit a is a cult movie" then go exhibit b isn't, but actually don't know what makes a cult movie? To me that just defies logic. How can this film be a cult movie, but that film not, despite the fact there isn't a definition of a cult movie?

And from your last comment, my initial point still stands then. Every film is a cult movie then. Spiderman 3 is a huge film which despite no star actors, a long screen time, a comic book following, massive success, thus its a cult movie. Pirates the same. Every film has a following and no film has a unique fanbase, thus again if thats what a cult film is, every film is a cult film.

You keep using the term cult film as if there is this ultra specific definition, yet you contradict it. Saying it doesn't have to be this or that is fine, yet you then say its one which has a following, regardless of success, length, genre etc....thus pretty much any film then?

Thus your still saying, despite the fact you say you don't, that every film can be technically classified as a cult film no?

I personally agree, I just don't get why Kurtmark got destroyed for saying what he thinks a cult movie is before being ripped to shreads about it.

Personally I think its a film which has to start small (be it fanfare, budget, reception, stars etc.) but then over the years be remembered far more fondly be it creatively, or commercially than it ever was at its time of release.

Thus films like Spiderman, Matrix etc whatever are not cult films to me, they had big cost, made lots of money and were instant smash hits, their stock won't change over time, if anything it will diminish.

Films like Reservoir Dogs, Dazed and Confused, The Full Monty, Trainspotting, even Donnie Darko, to me can be classified as a cult film. But hey this is turning into a can of worms now.

Thus your still saying, despite the fact you say you don't, that every film can be technically classified as a cult film no?

You are reading that into my comments, my comments are not saying that.

I said that there was no fixed rules in what makes a cult movie, not that every movie is a cult movie.

You are just arguing the point for the sake of arguing. What part of "not every" can you not comprehend?

I said that not every low-budget movie is a cult movie. Not what part of that statement means I've said every movie is a cult movie? I'll tell you....none of it. I simply said that not every cult movie is defined by the "rules" Kurtmark laid down in his initial postings. Now, I ask you....what, in your mind, is a cult movie?

I've just said what I think is one.

To me I don't think a massive money making movie can ever be a cult one, its nothing to do with it being mainstream, just too widespread.

Cult for me has to be small to begin with and build over time, basically becoming something that it never was originally.

For example Full Monty. Cheap, incredibly English film comedy dealing with politics essentially, expected to do as well as Brassed Off i.e. quite well in UK but nothing special. Starts off slowly gets very popular in UK, so well done. Shockingly though does amazing in America and within 2 years its a massive hit, 10 years later we look at it as one of the finest British films ever made.

Or another one Reservoir Dogs. Did poorly in America yet quite well in UK, did better in America out on video, all of a sudden stock rises, especially after the success of Pulp Fiction, phrases become popular lingo, people now look back on it as a cinematic masterpiece from one of the (in some opinion) greatest directors of the modern age.

Thats to me a cult film, something which develops from its original distribution to the way history looks back on it.

I have being sitting back and keeping an eye on this thread, and also doing some research.

Now I have made a list of every film that I consider a cult film from the last 15 or so years. (A bit more actually.)

Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Tremors (1990)

Wild at Heart (1990)

The Adjuster (1991)

Barton Fink (1991)

Delicatessen (1991)

Army of Darkness: The medevil dead (1992)

Braindead (1992)

Hard-Boiled (1992)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Dazed and Confused (1993)

Groundhog Day (1993)

True Romance (1993)

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Clerks (1994)

The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Reality Bites (1994)

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Friday (1995)

The Kingdom (1995)

Se7en (1995)

Showgirls (1995)

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Fargo (1996)

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996)

Swingers (1996)

Walking and Talking (1996)

Henry Fool (1997)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Rushmore (1998)

Fight Club (1999)

Office Space (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001)

Glitter (2001)

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

Inland Empire (2006)

Now this is by no means a conclusive list, I am sure there are some I have forgotten but these films can all be called cult films for various reasons.

To me I don't think a massive money making movie can ever be a cult one, its nothing to do with it being mainstream, just too widespread.
IMO, Star Wars goes against that idea, as that made a fair bit of money and is incredibly wide-spread, but is considered a cult movie by many different people.

Also, The Blair Witch Project is another that falls outwith your reasoning, and that is considered a cult movie too.

I agree that most cult films fall into your ideology, but not all of them do.

IMO, Star Wars goes against that idea, as that made a fair bit of money and is incredibly wide-spread, but is considered a cult movie by many different people.

Also, The Blair Witch Project is another that falls outwith your reasoning, and that is considered a cult movie too.

I agree that most cult films fall into your ideology, but not all of them do.

I would suggest Star Trek is a cult thing, sure the films always make a lot of money (well most of them) but its a fan following thing. Non trekkies usually avoid the films. The same could be said of Star Wars although that attracts more casual viewers than Star Trek. Blair Witch was always going to be a cult film, but only because of the whole internet thing that came with the film. Thats also the only reason it made money.

I have being sitting back and keeping an eye on this thread, and also doing some research.

Now I have made a list of every film that I consider a cult film from the last 15 or so years. (A bit more actually.)

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Tremors (1990)

Wild at Heart (1990)

The Adjuster (1991)

Barton Fink (1991)

Delicatessen (1991)

Braindead (1992)

Hard-Boiled (1992)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Groundhog Day (1993)

True Romance (1993)

Clerks (1994)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Reality Bites (1994)

Friday (1995)

The Kingdom (1995)

Se7en (1995)

Showgirls (1995)

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Fargo (1996)

Swingers (1996)

Henry Fool (1997)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Rushmore (1998)

Fight Club (1999)

Office Space (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001)

Glitter (2001)

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

Inland Empire (2006)

Now this is by no means a conclusive list, I am sure there are some I have forgotten but these films can all be called cult films for various reasons.

You have way too much time on your hands! :P

Miller's Crossing (1990)

Tremors (1990)

Wild at Heart (1990)

The Adjuster (1991)

Barton Fink (1991)

Delicatessen (1991)

Braindead (1992)

Hard-Boiled (1992)

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Groundhog Day (1993)

True Romance (1993)

Clerks (1994)

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Reality Bites (1994)

Friday (1995)

The Kingdom (1995)

Se7en (1995)

Showgirls (1995)

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Fargo (1996)

Swingers (1996)

Henry Fool (1997)

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Rushmore (1998)

Fight Club (1999)

Office Space (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001)

Glitter (2001)

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

Inland Empire (2006)

So you think True Romance and Donnie Darko are cult films now,strange.........