Your Favourite "Cult" Movie

King

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean when people knock your ideas, you'll just argue that they are wrong anyway?

You have to remember though, Nicole, this is the same person who thinks a discussion and argument are the same thing and who uses Wikipedia to guide his entire life.

But that's just my opinion. :xyx

• Like 2

You have to remember though, Nicole, this is the same person who thinks a discussion and argument are the same thing.

Would you like to put your glasses on now? I said debate and discussion are the same thing. I never said arguement was. I said you can lose a discussion and an arguement, never said anywhere they were the same.

Sorry KM, you are wrong though. Debate and discussion are not the same thing. A debate means that there are opposing sides. In a discussion, this is not necessarily so. You can have a group of people in a discussion, all who share an opinion.

This is not true with a debate.

You can lose anything Ravenmark, Debate, discussion or arguement. Debate and discussion are actually the same word anyway, they both have the exact same meaning.

Okay you said that discussion and debate are the same thing, but the previous sentence suggests that debate, discussion and arguement are same thing because you can lose all of them.

Sorry KM, you are wrong though. Debate and discussion are not the same thing. A debate means that there are opposing sides. In a discussion, this is not necessarily so. You can have a group of people in a discussion, all who share an opinion.

Isn't a debate also an organised thing? Like you can join the 'debate team'.

My sister has Donnie Darko and rates it highly, though i've never seen it myself.

Tremors is definately one for me, it's great! I'll think of more in a little while, might have to surf through the collection to jog my memory.

• Like 1

i'd definatly consider Donnie Darko a cult film. I don't know anyone outside internet regualrs and students that rated it.

It was rapturously received by critics, that's why so many people have seen it.

I'd describe a lot of things that have done quite well commercially as 'cult', e.g. Star Trek, South Park. I think to qualify it needs a relatively small but largely fanatical fanbase. I wouldn't rely on Wikipedia too much, it is written by us plebs after all.

Tremors isn't a cult film. It more than broke even at the box office. I would still list it mind as I love it. Blues Brothers, Donnie Darko, Evil Dead, Blade Runner, True Romance and LA confidential. All great films, not one is a cult film though as they all made money. (Actually not 100% on Blade Runner I think it may have broke even.) Another reason these are not cult movies is that almost everybody who sees them likes them. A cult movie is a movie that is generally ignored at first but has a fanbase of people who love it. None of these films were ever ignored.

Every one of the one's I've bolded are considered cult classics.

Many cult films were independently made and were not expected by their creators to have much mainstream success. Night of the Living Dead, Pink Flamingos, Basket Case, The Evil Dead and Eraserhead have all been commonly acknowledged as having become cult films. Many of directors of these kinds of films such as David Lynch, Lloyd Kaufman and John Waters have managed to gain followings even after achieving financial and mainstream success.

Here is a link to a website devoted to cult movies, and the page linked gives the definition of what makes a cult movie.

Here is an alphabetical list of movies considered to be "cult", with only L.A. Confidential not listed from the movies King mentioned and you quoted.

Dogma, Clerks and Mallrats are all really good. I guess that over here most HK, Korean and Japanese live action movies bar the few that have been needlessly remade by Hollywood, and maybe the originals of the remakes are all cult movies in the west. Most anime would be cult here too like Ghost in the Shell and Shin Seki Evangelion.

That website reminded me of Shaft (original) and Coffy too.

Would the original Assault on precinct 13 and The Italian Job be cult movies too?

Edited by Anime Otaku

Everybody and their mother has seen Donnie Darko, it's not a cult film. True Romance and La Confidential did well, therefore thay are not cult films. The whole of Ireland saw intermission, it was number one at the box office.

I don't care if you care about wiki or not. I don't care to even mention wiki again.

Donnie Darko is a cult film. It doesn't matter how many people have seen a movie, it can be a cult whether it's been seen by millions or only three.

I use Wikipedia a lot, and for you to reference it and say in the same thread that Donnie Darko is not a cult movie is ridiculous. It says in the first paragraph of the Wiki entry for the movie that it has a cult following, making it a cult movie.

I think you've got the wrong idea of what makes a cult movie a cult movie.

Credit:http://www.filmsite.org/cultfilms.html

Cult Films have limited but very special appeal. Cult films are usually strange, quirky, offbeat, eccentric, oddball, or surreal, with outrageous, weird, unique and cartoony characters or plots, and garish sets. They are often considered controversial because they step outside standard narrative and technical conventions. They can be very stylized, and they are often flawed or unusual in some striking way.

Most cult films cut across many film genres (science fiction, horror, melodrama, etc.), although some film genres are also more prone to being cultish, such as the horror or sci-fi genres. Teen comedies are also more often rated as cult films, such as Dazed and Confused (1993), and Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982), with quotable lines of dialogue, and memorable characters and scenes.

Many cult films feature or effectively showcase the performance of newcomers or other unknown talented actors/actresses. These often-obscure and cheesy films are usually made by maverick, highly individualistic film-makers with low-budget resources and little commercial marketing. And cult films are rarely, if ever, sequels, since then they would have attained mainstream appeal and widespread success. Some directors are more prone to making cult films, such as John Waters, Quentin Tarantino and David Lynch, especially early in their careers, because of their individualistic perspective and style, although they can often make a conventional 'mainstream' film too (such as David Lynch's The Straight Story (1999)).

Many cult films fared poorly at the box office when first shown, but then achieved cult-film status, developing an enduring loyalty and following among fans over time, often through word-of-mouth recommendations. Sometimes, they were revolutionary, brilliant films 'before their time' (i.e., Fantasia (1940)) and not bound by the conventions of their day.

They elicit a fiery and intense passion in devoted fans, and may cause cultists to enthusiastically champion and become devoted to these films, leading to audience participation, fan club membership, and repetitive viewings and showings. Cult films have tremendous followings with certain groups, e.g., college campuses, 'midnight movie' crowds, independent film lovers, etc. Cult movie worshippers persuasively argue with all about the merits of their choices, without regard for standard newspaper or movie reviews from critics.

There's no hard-and-fast rule or checklist to gauge what makes a cult film. A cult film is often designated as such "in the eye of the beholder" without fufilling any definition. It's often a matter of opinion. One viewer's cult film may not be judged the same by another viewer. And just because a segment of devoted viewers (pre-teen girls) repeatedly watch a film - such as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - to view its star Johnny Depp, or Titanic (1997) (to see Leonardo Di Caprio), or to view the latest George Lucas Star Wars film, doesn't make a film a cult film. However, there are the most popular cult films, such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) and any of the Star Trek films, that have developed cult followings with all the trappings.

Blade Runner is listed as a cult film I personally list all the startrek movies and sound of music and Shawshank Redemption and all Starwars movies as cult shows and just to prove what has been said before that Donnie Darko is a cult film taken from http://www.filmsite.org/cultfilms4.html on page listed greatest cult films. HELLO!!!

The Shawshank Redemption (1994) (#10)

Friday (1995) (#49)

The Kingdom (1995)

Se7en (1995)

Showgirls (1995) (#36)

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Fargo (1996)

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996)

Swingers (1996)

Walking and Talking (1996) (#47)

Henry Fool (1997)

The Big Lebowski (1998) (#34)

Rushmore (1998) (#42)

Fight Club (1999)

Office Space (1999)

American Psycho (2000)

Requiem for a Dream (2000)

Donnie Darko (2001) Glitter (2001)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

Inland Empire (2006)

Took 10 mins to prove Kurtmark wrong what a shame. Edited by Laffy

I hate Dogma soooo much, Misery rules one of the best horror films out. Below some of the film i have that i consider to be cult classics also i do not have it but Tremors one of the greatest films ever.

The Exorcist - Great freaks me out every time.

The Wicker Man - Scary as hell but enjoyable

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Funny as F**K

Monty Python's Life of Brian - Ditto especially look on the bright side of life

Jaws - Great film scares me to this day

Assault on Precinct 13 - One of the greatest action films

Saturday Night Fever - Not my favourite but in my collection.

Slap Shot - I personally like Slap Shot 2 better this is a little slow.

Star Wars - What needs to be said the film that started the series

Mad Max - Just great great films

Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior - Just great great films

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdrome- Just great great films

The Goonies- Just great great films

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - Just great great films

• Like 1