Your Favourite "Cult" Movie

King

The title says it all really,Im not sure really what defines a "cult" movie but for me it's a film that did bad in the box office and did well on VHS and DVD or through word of mouth.

Here's a few of mine,

Donnie Darko

Big Trouble In Little china

Chopper

Tango and Cash

ID

Blade runner

Intermission

True Romance

LA Confidential

Discuss.....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tremors - its my fave film of all time (watched it 109 times since 1993 - breaking 3 VHS and 1 DVD copies of it in the process) it is a true cult classic that spawned 2 sequles, 1 prequal and a tv serise all of which I have on either DVD or VHS (recorded the serise since it was never released)

Other notable ones are -

Big Trouble in Little China

Donnie Darko

Evil Dead

Ghoulies

Bad Taste

Tremors isn't a cult film. It more than broke even at the box office. I would still list it mind as I love it. Blues Brothers, Donnie Darko, Evil Dead, Blade Runner, True Romance and LA confidential. All great films, not one is a cult film though as they all made money. (Actually not 100% on Blade Runner I think it may have broke even.) Another reason these are not cult movies is that almost everybody who sees them likes them. A cult movie is a movie that is generally ignored at first but has a fanbase of people who love it. None of these films were ever ignored.

Cult films are really direct to video or badly reviewed films which bomb but which some people love in later years, or even straight away. See Captian Jack, for an example of the former and showgirls for the later, both are cult films now. (Both crap as well.)

They can also be films that are made on a small budget and are not expected to perform much but do anyway. Porkey's is a cult film for that last reason.

Cult films are different things to different people though.

What you may consider a "cult" movie others might not.

There is a definition to cult films, it doesn't matter what you think is a cult film (or what I think) it doesn't make your picks cult films. Of the films you listed none are Cult films.

There is a definition to cult films, it doesn't matter what you think is a cult film (or what I think) it doesn't make your picks cult films. Of the films you listed none are Cult films.

Well that's your opinion,so you don't think Chopper,ID and Big Trouble In Little China are cult movies???????

Again I say people have different views to what cult movies are.

No they don't people have one view to what a cult film is, the correct view. If you don't understand, and you don't just look up the Wiki article on what defines a cult film. Blade Runner sort of does, in that it had a small but devoted following at first. Chopper, ID and Little China can all be called cult films. The others you listed are far too popular and will never be called cult films. (Intermission might be a cult film outside Ireland mind but in Ireland, never it was far too popular.)

Edited by The Icon

No they don't people have one view to what a cult film is, the correct view. If you don't understand, and you don't just look up the Wiki article on what defines a cult film. Blade Runner sort of does, in that it had a small but devoted following at first. Chopper, ID and Little China can all be called cult films. The others you listed are far too popular and will never be called cult films. (Intermission might be a cult film outside Ireland mind but in Ireland, never it was far too popular.)

Well that's your view but it's wrong.

• Like 1

Well that's your view but it's wrong.

People who reply like that in a discussion are basically admitting they are wrong. If you can't back up why you think it is wrong then you have already lost the discussion. Again I will tell you look up on Wiki or any other site that explains what defines a cult film, then come back for a proper discussion.

If you can't back up why you think it is wrong then you have already lost the discussion.

You can lose a discussion? I thought a discussion was about opinions etc

Surely you can only lose an argument?

Then again, maybe I should consult wiki.... :roll

That's a good list mind, I love all three of those films. I actually prefer Evil Dead to Evil Dead 2. Omen Two is more of a cult movie than the original in my opinion though, better film as well.

You can lose anything Ravenmark, Debate, discussion or arguement. Debate and discussion are actually the same word anyway, they both have the exact same meaning. (indeed on Wiki there is no discussion page the debate page doubles as the discussion page.)

Edited by The Icon

People who reply like that in a discussion are basically admitting they are wrong. If you can't back up why you think it is wrong then you have already lost the discussion. Again I will tell you look up on Wiki or any other site that explains what defines a cult film, then come back for a proper discussion.

Discussion ok here we go.........

If you don't think Donnie Darko is a cult film then specsaves is the place you need to go

Intermission~~Cult Irish movie not people have seen.

True Romance~~~Tarrantino's first scrip is classed as a cult movie

LA Confidential~~~Kim Basenger did win an Oscar but was not seen by many people,also launched the career of Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce in America.

What you can't seem to get into your head is that people have different views to what cult movies are and I don't give a frog's fat ass about Wiki and other places.

Let people have their own opinion........

You can lose anything Ravenmark, Debate, discussion or arguement.

I wouldn't say that you can lose a discussion; but you can a debate and/or argument.

But I'm glad you say that I can lose anything; Because I'm losing my mind over your irrational/pointless/garbage filled posts. :xyx

• Like 1

Everybody and their mother has seen Donnie Darko, it's not a cult film. True Romance and La Confidential did well, therefore thay are not cult films. The whole of Ireland saw intermission, it was number one at the box office.

I don't care if you care about wiki or not. I don't care to even mention wiki again.

Everybody and their mother has seen Donnie Darko, it's not a cult film. True Romance and La Confidential did well, therefore thay are not cult films. The whole of Ireland saw intermission, it was number one at the box office.

There is maybe 10 Irish members on TWO

I doubt alot on TWO saw it in general