Do you support your local team? If not, why not?

MojoPogo

can any Vauxhall motors fan claim to live in Vauxhall motors?

They have fans who work there :P I went to see them play the other week, there not a bad team, they are trying to play some good football but are just not strong enough to pull it off against often more physical opponents. However the other local team Cammell Laird are on their way up in the world, could be a league and cup double! They're the Pride of merseyside :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have fans who work there

I did think of that when i typed it, but they're probably all Reds, Blues or Rovers fans. with maybe a little dashing of Chester fans. If i asked a guy who he supported and he came back with Vauxhall Motors, i'd be like O.......................................................................kay.

Molineux is a bus-ride one way from my house. Bescot is a bus-ride the other way. I support Walsall, and I hate Wolves, because that's the way football works.

It always makes me laugh when I hear Arsenal "fans" around here talking about how they "hate Spurs", or Man Utd "fans" about how they "hate Liverpool". I'm sorry, lads, but you don't. I'm sure you think you comprehend football rivalries, but you don't. After a decade of "What division are you in" and the like, in the pub, at school, in college & at work, being at Molineux in August 1999, the day we turned over the orange scum 2-1 in the league, on their own patch, was worth 10,000 x more than any league championship that I could've watched on Sky, in my replica top bought from JJB sports, trying to kid myself that it really meant something to me.

Supporting anyone other than a club local to you makes no sense. But then, we Brits, in general, tend to excel in the fine art that is completely missing the point.

Yeah' date=' I did mean that Linfield were the best team in Northern Ireland. I'd imagine that there are better Eircom League teams. To be fair, Linfield do have a couple of decent players - Mannus, Ferguson and Thompson could all play in the English leagues. One of my mates is an absolute fanatic, he goes to every game. Even if it's a meaningless away match against Coleraine (approximately 50 miles away) in temperatures approaching sub-zero. He's a complete nutter.[/quote']

Clearly you've never been to Brechin!:D

Can any Man Utd fan claim to live in Manchester?

I live in Greater Manchester, close enough.

Haven't been to Old Trafford for a couple of years, say what you want about United, but if you're there against Liverpool or someone like that, the atmosphere is amazing.

Anyway back on topic, my local team is the lowly Hyde United, I like them and all, but I can't seem to enjoy watching them play.

I think there is an argument to say that those who insist people should only support their local team are in fact closet communists.

I do not support my local team but it is only by pure chance. My Dad or older brothers weren't at all into football when I was a child, so I didnt have a natural "inhereited" club to follow as a child. However from the age of about 5 (1987-ish) we moved home and the kid next door was Manchester United fan. Wanting to make friends quickly I joined forces. Of course at the time I had no idea about football or Manchester, but it was an affinaty that grew.

It became quite annoying during the success the club enjoyed in the 90's as I was often leveled with the accusation of 'glory-hunter' when in fact it had nothing to do with it.