Credit Card Recommendations?

Christof

I've just been charged interest by my credit card company incorrectly and for money i paid back. I've complained and they are going to look into refunding the payment because I've been with them for 3 years and I spend alot with them.

That said, I will probably move my money away from them because they've let me down in my eyes.

So, just wondering if people can recommend any good credit cards. I'm not interested in balance transfers, or APR really as I pay the balance in full every month. So what I'm looking for really is a good reward scheme or a decent cashback amount.

Well I might have a chat with Nationwide, I have all my other accounts baring student account with them. But really all I am interested in is rewards. At the moment the various AMEX options are looking appealing but I know not everywhere accepts the card.

Either that or Tesco because we do our shopping there at least once a month so we'd get more benefit of the reward

Credit cards are a neccesary evil for a lot of people, and providing you look after the balance correctly shouldnt be a problem. As Christof said hes paying the balanace in full every month so interest isn't a problem.

Ive had a credit card for 2 and a half years and never had a problem with it in terms of interest or charges. If you look after your finances its not a problem.

Don't bother. Credit cards are costly and just charge lots of interest.

From what experience are you quoting that from?

In retrospect i should have asked for opinions on credit cards from those that have / had them.

As Popsi said, it is a neccessary evil and if you are good with your money and pay off the balance every month then it does absolutely no harm. This is how I've always used them and many others have without suffering costs or interest.

You only get charged if you don't pay off your balance, if you pay off your balance every month then all you do is get a great credit rating (useful for things such as mortgages, car finance etc) and "pay" for everything twice.

...and if you come from an estate where money is tight, jobs are hard to come by and credit cards are seen as last solutions, you'll see my anti credit card stance. Credit cards are offered to everybody like there some huge solution to cash flow problems. If you don't have the cash in the first place, you won't be able to pay it back. I even get junk mail about getting a credit card, and I'm only 17. If you can't afford something, you shouldn't buy it, especially on a credit card which could come and bite you on the ass.

Yes but this thread was about recommending a card, not whether or not they are the route of all evil.

I understand that you can have an anti credit card stance for those reasons but there is a flip side to the coin as well. If I was in the financial situation that you've exampled then yes it would be a bad idea.

But I'm not, I don't have a cash flow issue, I just prefer to get everything on card and pay it off every month at pay day. I had an issue with it at uni but I sorted myself out. Its down to individual choices, I have no qualms with credit cards because I pay it all off, I understand what you mean about unneccessary purchases but I'd do that credit card or not. So whilst I'm financially secure I might as well pay for everything twice and build up a decent credit history.

I recommend you don't go for a credit card that has call centers abroad. In which case don't go for HSBC or Capital one, for they are the root of all evil. You need a credit card where there employers understand what a credit card is, and most importantly, know what company they work for.

Nationwide and Nat west are two i know of. But they wouldn't touch me with a barge pole with my credit rating. So can't tell you what there like.

Edited by Gemsi

Get a debit card' date=' less chance of default, get one with Visa ability as well.[/quote']

I have one already, I'm looking for a replacement Credit Card not a new current account. My Debit cards are all Visa and my Credit Cards are usually Mastercard so I have all options covered. As I've said before, defaulting has never been a problem for me.

Im with Barclaycard and they are pretty good, I've never had a problem with them. But I don't get any incentives from them, which i dont really mind as i don't use my credit card much. I just like to have it for emergencies mostly, i realise i hve to pay it back so don't just stick any old random purchase down on it. I agree about call centres abroad, I've had a lot of hassles with them in the past.

I reckon really it maybe worth ringing up some firms and finding out what they can offer you. Say your looking for a new card and if they can give you any incentives, never know may give you a good deal.

I've been with Barclaycard twice already. Last time I closed my account I had to be passed from pillar to post, being told my account should be frozen rather than closed. Add to this the fact that they try to exploit loyal customers by advancing payment dates every so often to try and nab interest leaves them firmly at the bottom of a very long list.

• 2 weeks later...