Do you support your local team? If not, why not?

MojoPogo

This can be any sport, but im thinking mostly of football, cos this is where so-called "fairweather" fans, who support teams miles away from where they live and have never been to a game in their life affects. Im not at all having a dig at people who support a team because their family have always supported that team, to me thats a valid reason, and again, im not going to accuse any particular team of being "culprits" as such, but as a lifelong supporter of a small club who constantly struggle to attract supporters in fhe face of more "glamourous" opposition (hell, ive even been to Peterhead, in the winter. Not exactly a pleasure trip, i assure you) it does rile me a wee bit, when i see parents go out and buy the latest Celtic, Rangers, whatever strips, just because.

Is it a problem that the smaller clubs cant promote themselves as well, or will there always be a support the winning team mentality? Myself? Im a Falkirk fan for better or worse, and at the moment, thats definitely worse! But i've seen some great times, and some abysmal ones too....getting beat 8-0 off Celtic comes to mind, but i wouldnt change it for the world.

What can be done to change this (apart from fundamental changes to the game in Scotland of course!!!) if anything?

Im also interested in why the good people of TWO support their team, so if you could put that in please!

Edited by MojoPogo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started watching football, I could see the floodlights at Celtic Park from my front garden, so they were my local team.

Now my local team is a toss up between St. Mirren and Rangers - *shudder*

Alhough, for 2 seasons, I did travel up and down from Glasgow to Stranraer to go and see every home game of The Mighty Blues on their triumphant rise through the divisions :)

When I started watching football, I could see the floodlights at Celtic Park from my front garden, so they were my local team.

Now my local team is a toss up between St. Mirren and Rangers - *shudder*

Alhough, for 2 seasons, I did travel up and down from Glasgow to Stranraer to go and see every home game of The Mighty Blues on their triumphant rise through the divisions :)

Cool. We've lost a couple of times to Stranraer in the cup too.....gah! I was spitting blood on one of those occasions, i tell ya! Serves me right for chewing bricks i suppose, but still.....:D :xyx

Ive supported Arsenal for nigh on 12 years now. Reaon ive always supported them, ever since i got into football was because they were the first team that really made me think wow about football. This was the Ian Wright and Tony Adams era and was brilliant for a youngster.

Ive nevre been to a game simply because i live in south wales and have never been able to afford to get there. Also i don't know how to get a ticket for them.

Its difficult to say who my local team is as regards rugby as thats my most watched sport. I support the Neath Swansea Ospreys being as I went to uni there and its difficult not to support them around there, also ive been to see them play the most, but really i should support Newport as they are my nearst team. But i cant support Newport being as my dads a Ponty boy (and by that i mean Pontypool not Pontypridd) and its just wrong to support Newport if your related to Ponty supporters.

And don't get me started about supporting my local team Chepstow. I fail to see why i should support a team simply because i live here. I would never support a team that has a group of men running it that ban the womens team i played for from playing on their pitches being as rugby is "a mans game"! We were Chepstow Ice Maidens for 5 years, were more successful than the man and then they decided we couldnt play on their pitches. I dont know why i should support my local team when they've never supported me.

And they're the best team in the country.

Well they're the best team in the Irish League yes, but they wouldn't be inside the top 3 or 4 in the League of Ireland. The League of Ireland is a completely different standard.

I support my local team, Derry City and have done since I was about 6 or 7. I have been a season ticket holder since that time and I have missed maybe 4 or 5 home matches since I started going. Last few years have been disappointing, but their current manager Stephen Kenny arrived less than two years ago and has completely transformed the entire team. The season before last, Derry were in a relegation battle. Last season after building a great team, we won the League Cup, reached the semis of the FAI Cup and finished second in the league, after losing the final game of the season and the league decider to Cork City, who were crowned Champions. The only way is up however as Kenny has strengthed the team even further with a couple of really good signings.

Yeah, I did mean that Linfield were the best team in Northern Ireland. I'd imagine that there are better Eircom League teams. To be fair, Linfield do have a couple of decent players - Mannus, Ferguson and Thompson could all play in the English leagues. One of my mates is an absolute fanatic, he goes to every game. Even if it's a meaningless away match against Coleraine (approximately 50 miles away) in temperatures approaching sub-zero. He's a complete nutter.

I used to go and watch Bohemians play every friday when I was still in school with a few lads out of my class but I play football on a friday now myself so I've kinda lost interest

glen crowe is best mates with my cousin so i knew him when he played for bohs so kinda got me into it. He plays for Shels now Wolves fans might know him he was part of their youth team at one time

I support Manchester United because my dad does, he bought me a United bag when I was 6 to take to school, and I got stick from all the Liverpool fans because Liverpool were great at the time and United pretty much sucked, but I stuck with it when I could easily have turned to the dark side. So although United are far from being my local team I can't be accused of being a glory hunter. United get all the stick for having non-local fans, but there's a lot more Liverpool fans of my age down here than United fans.

My local team is Ashford Town (Kent), I used to go regularly to home games when I was at school. Back then they were one league below the conference, nowadays I think they're 2 leagues below the conference south. I also follow Gillingham and have been to the Priestfield on a few occasions.

• Like 1

I'm from Holywood in Northern Ireland so technially my local team should be Bangor or Glentoran, but i'm a Linfield supporter due to my family on my father side living in the shadow of Windors Park.

Well they're the best team in the Irish League yes' date=' but they wouldn't be inside the top 3 or 4 in the League of Ireland. The League of Ireland is a completely different standard.[/quote']

The 2005 Setanta Cup says otherwise :D

If i'm being honest though the League of Ireland is of a better standard for the simple reason that the top sides are almost all full time compared to the part time Irish League. But Linfield can boast to having the best player in Irish club football in Peter Thompson, and the Irish League has produced Ivan Sproule and Stuart Elliot in recent years so its not all bad, just don't mention Andy Smith.

Edited by Tajiri
  • Like 1

Burnley are the nearest league team to me, however there is a non league side closer to me who play in the North West Counties division 1.

Even if Accrington Stanley get promoted to League 2, which is looking incresingly likely Burnley will be the nearest League team to me.

When I was young I could see the floodlights of Prenton Park so Tranmere has always been my club even thou everyone in our family (yes every single one of them) is a Liverpool fan.

Other teams I usually keep a lookout for are Newcastle (you can't help but like them), Chelsea (Raneri was a nice guy...) and Carisle (No, can't explain that one).

Well i stay right in the middle of Fife so i should support Raith Rovers,East Fife,Dunfermline or Cowdenbeath but i don't.I support Hearts because it's been bred into me from my Grandad (r.i.p) who was alive when Hearts were good so he probably was a glory hunter lol back then,my Uncle and my dad also support the Jambo's.

In England i support Man City, i don't know what it is but i just liked them ever since i seen Georgei Kinkladzie play for them in 1997.Other teams i look out for in England are Nottingham Forest and Leeds Utd why? Because just like in wrestling and in life in general i am a mark for tradition, and i hate seeing these teams in the lower leagues whilist teams like Wigan and Pompy are in the top flight.

I also realised the other day that in my memory no team i REMOTLEY like has ever one the top league in Scotland or England.Also Antihero don't get me startd on GLORY HUNTERS please.

Born in Rochdale under the shadow of Liverpool down the M62 and Leeds down the M6 as well as up the good old Manchester Road... Manchester United...

I watched Rochdale games, worked in the bar at the ground and always wish them well but my heart was always with Man Utd snce the first time I saw them play...

They got beat 5-1 by City, I felt sorry for them and then 3 years later (after a nail biting FA Cup win over Palace the year before) I was standing in Rotterdam as we defeated Barcelona 2-1 thanks to the mighty Sparky Hughes...

Yeah a couple of years later till 1999-00 we won everything in sight near enough but I wasn't a glory hunter. When I began my love of Man U we'd only just signed Ince, Giggs was in the youth squad, Keane was at Forest in the youth team, Kanchelskis was over in Ukranie, Schmecheil was in Denmark and our first choice keeper was Les Sealy (RIP)...

Up front we had Choccy and Hughes of course and Robbo in midfield as well but the glory days didn't come until I was a fully fledged supporter of 5 years...

Best we ever hoped for was a FA Cup and a good performance... that and beating Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Leeds of course...

Then along came Eric Cantona and then the Fergie Fledglings and everything went mental...

I know 20 miles isn't local as far as the UK is cocerned (the distance from my house to Old Trafford) but the fact is when I was a kid everyone was a Liverpool fan and wanted to score like Rush or pull the strings like Beardsley...

But I wanted to crack in a volley from 12 yards like Sparky...

Plus somewhere I still have my very first Man U shirt... The shirt from 1988-89 made by Adidas...

I was four when I got that and my mum (a Celtic fan) and my dad (a LEEDS FAN) bought it for me despite the fact that all the Liverpool fans mocked me (including my older half brother - glory hunter!)...

So Man U will always be the local team to me, they will be my team forever and although a have a love for Rochdale deep down as well Man U are local to the very place that matters in a fan... the heart.

When I was younger I lived in Cork, my dad took me to a few Cobh Ramblers games but i was too young i cant remember them, now the nearest team to me in Newry Town and theres no chance I am supporting them.Ive supported Man United since I was 5 my grandad has taken me to alot of matches, hes been to tons of united games because hes always working over in Manchester, I couldnt support another team if i tried, it just isnt possible, I also follow Celtic But I would like Man United more.

Yes and No, well I support Liverpool and have done since I can remember because of my Dads family, i've been a few games, but now with my dad not being able to drive and quite skint, its very hard to get there (even though his mate offered him two season tickets :() anyway my stepdad is a Stoke City fan and most of my Mums family are Stoke fans and when ever I get the chance to see them, I go and really enjoy it.

My parents were raised in and around the east london area, and their local team was always West Ham. As a child i took that on and they are a local team to me. I travel the 40 mins on the train to the games whenever my shifts allow, and its a great feeling watching us win at Upton Park.

If you go by distance though Canvey Island are my local team. I take an interest in their results, and when i was 9/10 i even had a season ticket to see them. Now i just listen out to see how they be doing every weekend.

Can any Chelsea fans actually claim to live in Chelsea?

Cheers!

you realise Stamford Bridge isn't actually in Chelsea right.. it's close but not right there... it's ironically more in fulham broadway

i am a chelsea fan life long.. i live about 30 mintues from the ground (1 hour if the trains are up the creek) and my all my family support them

so here's one chelsea fan that isn't a glory fan (but i do like the glory)