I never saw that one coming

The Fury

At the recent Blood, Sweat, and Ears wrestling and music festival in Ontario, Canada, Chris Kanyon shocked the crowd by revealing he is gay. Below is an excerpt from the official BSE website where he bashes WWE and calls Vince McMahon "Satan McMahon":

At this time Chris Kanyon requested a few minutes to speak to the crowd. In an emotional delivery, Chris Kanyon said that he believes that the reason he was fired from WWE was not because of cutbacks, not because they didn't have a storyline for him, or any other reason you might have heard. Following some very nasty words for WWE and Satan McMahon, Kanyon revealed to the crowd that he believes that he was fired because the higher ups in WWE found out that he is GAY. Kanyon then said he was tired of living in the closet and announced to the awestruck crowd that he was in fact a homosexual. He said he couldn't live another day living the lie. He then pronounced himself as the first openly gay professional wrestler in the industry. He then went on to say that he chose to be the real Chris Kanyon, and the fans had to chose whether they wanted to boo him or cheer him. Either way it was their choice and life is about choices. He was finally happy that he made his. Tonight would be the first time that Chris Kanyon wrestled with the weight off his shoulders

like what the title said.never saw it happening

Well, you certainly have to admire him for coming out to say that. Given the perception the wrestling industry has in general for being gay. Rightly or wrongly. Its unfair in any walk of life to expect someone to live a lie, simply to live up to peoples often blinkered perceptions of what a wrestler "should" be. Prop to Chris K, and best of luck in the future. Hope he gets picked up by TNA to be honest, i always liked him. That wont change anything for me, and i hope that it doesnt affect his bookings or whatever. In an ideal world, this would have nothing to do with it, but as we all know, its very far from an ideal world.

Agree with Anti. It would be hard to publically admit that you are gay in front of tons of people, but if it is hard to contain it any longer, then I think he is a brave man. I don't really care that he is gay and it won't make me change my views and oppinions on him as I am against people being judged on their sexuality. But good luck to Chris and I hope that no-one puts him any lower in their views on him.

Well he hasn't been "open" about it. It's just the worst kept secret in wrestling.

Not to mention, wrestling is NOTORIOUSLY homophobic.

Yeah despite the fact that they where speedos and tights in quite feminine colours wax their whole bodies oil their whole bodies and spend their whole life sweating over other men.:lol

The industry is deperately in need of a reality check. The way minorities are portrayed on screen is borderline pre-historic.

Kanyon is an attention *****. This is the same old crap that loads of people pull when they need to get some attention after being out of the spotlight for a while etc. Will Young did it, loads of them do, and they wonder why people later make a big deal out of them being gay....ummm, because YOU MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT YOURSELF, ASS!!!

Well apparently I have heard rumours that Raven is gay, and people knew about it, wrestlers have said it in interviews and I believe Goldberg mentions it in his autobiography. So Kanyon wasn't the first and I don't understand why the WWE would not keep him because of it. It is because they had nothing for him, now if it was Matt Morgan I would of believed it because he was going somewhere and was a big man himself so a weird sort of person to fire, but not someone the size of Kanyon.

I believe Raven's bi to my knowledge.

But there's rumours for loads of wrestlers and such, Pat Patterson, Jeff Hardy, Tommy Rich etc etc etc.

Wrestling is a homophobic business, but so are most male dominated industries. Football, rugby, etc. You don't hear about gays in that? Its wrong in them all, but hardly shocking, and I doubt it will change soon.

And if Kanyon, who I think's a great wrestler, honestly believes he was released because he's gay, I'd love to ask him why the other 50 odd wrestlers were also released in that same year?

• Like 1

I believe Raven's bi to my knowledge.

But there's rumours for loads of wrestlers and such, Pat Patterson, Jeff Hardy, Tommy Rich etc etc etc.

Wrestling is a homophobic business, but so are most male dominated industries. Football, rugby, etc. You don't hear about gays in that? Its wrong in them all, but hardly shocking, and I doubt it will change soon.

And if Kanyon, who I think's a great wrestler, honestly believes he was released because he's gay, I'd love to ask him why the other 50 odd wrestlers were also released in that same year?

Yeah, I mean look at Matt Taylor with Pompey, I know when the rumours started going out that he might be, everyone turned on him. I just think everything is homophobic to be honest and it is changing around the world.

There are quite disgusting storys doing the rounds about wrestlers and their sometimes questionable ways. Fair dues to Kanyon though, even if it is to get attention, it's not as if any other wrestlers do things to get attention is it? Can someone find the story of McMahon and Nailz? I believe it to be rather queer.