TNA making WCW mistakes?

Londons Finest

With the recent "Eddie Angle" in the WWE and my hatred of Cena and Edge (but thats a completely different thread!). Ive been looking for an alternative been watching TNA for a while now but ive been watching it now solidly for a few months and now watch it more than WWE.

However, with recent rumours of TNA signing Goldberg and the "huge amounts of money" Sting is being payed is TNA making the same WCW mistakes? With the current talents like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels among others, will bringing in Bill Goldberg make the TNA/NWA World Title Division more stale than it is now with Jeff Jarret beating all comers? Your Thoughts please?

(By the way this is my first post :xyx )

• Like 1

With the recent "Eddie Angle" in the WWE and my hatred of Cena and Edge (but thats a completely different thread!). Ive been looking for an alternative been watchin TNA for a while now but ive been watching it now solidly for a few months and now watch it more than WWE.

However, with recent rumours of TNA signing Goldberg and the "huge amounts of money" Sting is being payed is TNA making the same WCW mistakes? With the current talents like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels among others, will bringin in Bill Goldberg make the TNA/NWA World Title Division more stale than it is now with Jeff Jarret beating all comers? Your Thoughts please?

(By the way this is my first post :xyx )

I think they need the likes of Goldberg, Sting and others if they are to ever seriously challenge the WWE. Its all about name value and with wwe mid-carders Jarret, Christian, Rhino headling TNA events it makes them look weak in my eyes. Although Chistian probably can hold his own as a top name the others can't. As long as they don't give the big names too much creative control and continue to build new stars along the way they should be ok. But relying on former wwe midcarders and talented but guys that are never going to seriously draw for one reason or another i.e styles, daniels just isn't going to work.

Good first post London's Finest.

I can see where you're coming from, yeah TNA are spending huge amounts to bring in stars like Sting and possibly even Goldberg, but not to the extent of WCW who wasted huge amounts on bringing in non wrestling stars like Master P and Kiss, to name but a few.

I dont think TNA will make the same mistakes, but I guess time will tell.

But relying on former wwe midcarders and talented but guys that are never going to seriously draw for one reason or another i.e styles' date=' daniels just isn't going to work.[/quote']

The WWE had HHH and Undertaker who were lower down then midcard become WWE champion and Steve Austin was a midcarder in WCW as well.The thing is Rhino was big in ECW and if ECW didn't close i believe he and RVD would have drew alot of money over fighting for the ECW title.But yeah they do nead at least some name value, the thing is though most good named talent like Rude,Hennig or Hawk are dead or Warrior and Hart are in no shape to wrestle so free agents are limited.

There is no question about it, TNA needs main event draws to give its main event scene some credibilty, and guys like Sting and Goldberg are needed.

TNA will only make the mistakes of WCW if they do the following;

- Let the wrestler dictate the running of the company, as to where the management are too busy appeasing the egos of the wrestlers, rather than doing what is right for the company.

- Booking guys like Sting and Goldberg and not thinking about the future stars on the company. For instance when Nash beat Goldberg at Starrcade 1998, pretty much ruining his streak. TNA need to think about thier home grown stars and use guys like Goldberg and Sting to help them in angles.

- Don't have too many "vetrens" in the main event scene, From about 1995 - 1999 WCW's main event scene pretty much stayed the same, with guys like Nash, Hogan, Sting, Flair, and Savage all hogging the lime light, unlike the WWE, where guys like Rock and Austin came up in the ranks.

true... but they didn't last long.. wern't given the titles.... and from what i heard they didn't have creative control

Given I don't know if this is the reasons behind it, but a long run with a belt gives it credibility, and more people get interested in it when its being defended. That being said, Jarrett is a less than credible champion. They really need to get the belt on someone else.

Guys like Goldberg and Sting would be fine, if they would be willing to play ball, and be on a level playing field with their headliners like Christian, Raven, Joe etc.

If they don't take those guys seriously, it will just be like WCW.

TNA would have to have final say on what they do, and can't let guys like Sting and Goldberg dictate what they do or don't do. Thus why in an ideal world, I'd bring in the likes of Rock and Jericho. Unlike Sting and Goldberg, they have a proper passion for the business, no qualms in putting people over, and want to entertain wrestling fans just as much as making money.

Of course an ideal world is very different to reality.

tna will never compete with wwe, they arnt making any profit, they dont do shows outside florida and hardly showed around the world, tna will go bust in the next couple of years and vince will come in and buy them, take the talent and throw it in the bin.

tna will never compete with wwe' date=' they arnt making any profit, they dont do shows outside florida and hardly showed around the world, tna will go bust in the next couple of years and vince will come in and buy them, take the talent and throw it in the bin.[/quote']

Ever the optimist :xyx

tna will never compete with wwe,

They are competing right now!

they arnt making any profit

They aren't making any losses either.

they dont do shows outside florida

They are about to.

hardly showed around the world

It's seen in 180 countries I believe.

tna will go bust in the next couple of years

Are you their accountant?

vince will come in and buy them, take the talent and throw it in the bin.

Why would Vince throw their talent in the bin? It's well known that WWE would kill to have Samoa Joe. Don't worry your theory won't happen.

Competing in it's really basic term is striving for superority. I don't care how much of a fan boy you are for TNA you cannot seriously tell me that TNA is even halfway towards becoming a superior product to the WWF, I mean for Christs sake their main event World Heavyweight Champion is at best lower mid card talent. They have no legitamate 'Superstars.' And before people start banging on about Joe, AJ and Captain Charisma, yes they are all legitamately talented upper mid carders, but none of them are BONAFIDE superstars. It's a simple fact in order to compete with the WWF you need superstars who appeal to the mainstream and are huge draws. You also NEED the resources to match. If TNA was really able to compete and threaten WWF in ANY way you would see Vince doing his utmost to crush and control them. But he's not because their not a threat. Just like no matter how much I loved ECW and how much the WWF stole ideas from them I WAS FORCED to admit they would NEVER be able to compete with the WWF on a GLOBAL scale and if they ever tried they would be extinguished either by bankruptcy indirectly as a result of competing with Vince and Co or just a straight takeover directly implemented by Vince and Co.

You're definitly fooling yourself if you think TNA could ever threaten WWF. Unless someone like 'Billionaire' Ted was to get involved, which I for one would love to see because the WWF would be forced to up the quality of their product.

Personally I find the TNA product far superior to WWE's, as my version of a 'better product' is beliveable storylines/fueds and better in ring action. But some people prefer the outlandish, over the top that WWE provides and thats fine as well.

As far as it goes remember that TNA are gaining more viewers by the month, and its my belief that Vince is starting to pay attention to TNA. OK so he may not be worried yet, but one day he may have to be.