The New Generation

Murph

If you were to hand pick ONE member of ANY current wrestling promotion who YOU think will take the wrestling business to the new level, and to be the name you think of when you think of modern day wrestling, who would it be?

I'd have to go with AJ Styles. Although his accent and mic skills COULD be better, he MORE than makes up for it in the ring. He's innovative, and, in my opinion, he IS the phenomenal one.

Who would YOU pick?

I mean, who do you think is the lead of professional wrestling? I'm not talking about the best wrestler, talker or whatever, just who you think is the biggest, most important and the first name which comes to your mind of any of the current wrestlers today.

"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels.He's got the look' date='character,mic skills and brilliant in-ring capability to be the next big star.[/quote']

it's a shame he's in his mid thirties :D

if i'm honest it's a toss up betyween AJ Styles and Randy Orton.... Orton if they quit the cheap heat teactics.. and AJ if he gets better promo skills... those two are the ones

Erm guys like Samoe Joe, Styles, Daniels etc.

Simply because they've all got over, in a pretty mainstream promotion, simply be having fantastic matches.

Charisma is important, but it does show, a bit of time and effort in feuds and matches, can truly get you over.

Well TNA has a lot of capable candiates, but for them it all depends on the success of the company. It was stated in the other thread that TNA need to take some risks on pushing people in the main event, and if they do that they can make people like Christopher Daniels, AJ, Somoa Joe, Monty Brown, Rhino, Abyss, Christian, etc. the short and long term future of the buisness. As long as they all have the proper push and are set with a strong enough gimmick (an attribute that is often underestimated), that list and more can go far.

In the case of WWE, expect to see people like Kennedy, Carlito, Edge, and Mysterio get far in terms of uber-overness.

it's a shame he's in his mid thirties :D

if i'm honest it's a toss up betyween AJ Styles and Randy Orton.... Orton if they quit the cheap heat teactics.. and AJ if he gets better promo skills... those two are the ones

A.J Styles and Christopher Daniels indeed will be the two to lead the new generation from TNA. In the WWE John Cena,Carlitto,Chris Masters,and Randy Orton will be the ones to lead the WWE into the promise land as well.

AJ Styles, Chris Daniels etc will never be huge draws who take wrestling to a new level, wont happen, not a chance. They are too small and wrestle the wrong style, IMO.

Samoa Joe COULD be a huge star, he has it all, barring one thing: a good look. Sorry, but he looks like crap.

I cant pick one guy off the cuff who could possibly be the next big thing, I dont think he is there yet, we are all still waiting.

If I could pick one person who could go to TNA and actually make them immediate contenders to WWE, its the Rock. To me, he is the ONLY guy who is or could be a draw right now.

AJ Styles, Chris Daniels etc will never be huge draws who take wrestling to a new level, wont happen, not a chance. They are too small and wrestle the wrong style, IMO.

Samoa Joe COULD be a huge star, he has it all, barring one thing: a good look. Sorry, but he looks like crap.

I cant pick one guy off the cuff who could possibly be the next big thing, I dont think he is there yet, we are all still waiting.

If I could pick one person who could go to TNA and actually make them immediate contenders to WWE, its the Rock. To me, he is the ONLY guy who is or could be a draw right now.

Anybody that wrestles in TNA wont be a huge draws to everyone. But you cant hold the fact that they arent the biggest guys in the world against them by any means. They wrestle the wrong style? How you figure that? At least when I watch one of their matches 9 times out of 10 I'm going to see something that'll impress me. Cant say the same for the cruiserweights in the WWE. Can you?

Ric Flair was only 6' 2", 242 lbs. And he was the best of the best 16 times. Chris Benoit,Dean Malenko,Eddie Guerrero,and so many others were indeed top wrestling superstars and they werent the biggest so whats your point? Samoa Joe indeed is the kind of guy I would like to see in the spotlight for a long time. The Rock? Suuurrrrrrrrrrre. If Kevin Nash can comeback and get a NWA title shot why not the Great one? :eek

I would go with CM Punk. Whether you like or dislike him, he has it all really. He has cut some awesome promos in the past, has had a 5* rated match with Joe, and plenty of other phenomenal outings in OVW, ROH, IWA: MS and other indies. He has a different look, which will help him. AJ Styles is supremely talented, however, with his kickpads, and pleather shorts, he just blends into the crowd, which doesn't help him out. If you showed a non-wrestling fan a picture of AJ, Petey Williams, and Chris Sabin, and then the next day you asked them to point who was who, they probably wouldn't remember them - Punk is the complete opposite of them.

He is just awesome in all areas.

Apparently he's in ROH tonight, if anyone is interested. Hopefully it is more than a one off appearance, which I doubt it is.

Out of all the WWE's roster, who will be a draw, you cannot look beyond John Cena. Low him or hate him, he is the kind of wrestler, who attracts fans, and when he is finally booked properly again, I'd expect him to have an effect on the buisness as a whole.

AJ, Petey Williams, and Chris Sabin, and then the next day you asked them to point who was who, they probably wouldn't remember them - Punk is the complete opposite of them.-Jack.

So, one independent wrestling superstar is more visible the others? Poppycock.

At least if someone wanted to see AJ,Petey Williams,and Chris Sabin all they have to do is turn on Spike TV. If you want to see Punk you have to go through greater lengths to see him dont ya? Yep.

If you showed most guys pictures of any of them most folks wouldnt know them at all considering how much exposure the WWE gets.:wub

You missed the point I was making really, so...

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/918/ajstyles8it.jpg

AJ Styles

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/913/chrissabin5sx.jpg

Chris Sabin

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/429/peteywilliams7mr.jpg

Petey Williams

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3315/cmpunk36xy.jpg

CM Punk

In your opinion, who has the most recognisable look? Easily CM punk any day of the week. That's an old-ish picture of him aswell, and he looks even more recognisable now. There is no way either of AJ, Petey or Sabin have a better, or more distinguishable look As good as they are, they are completely generic.

Anybody that wrestles in TNA wont be a huge draws to everyone. But you cant hold the fact that they arent the biggest guys in the world against them by any means.
Yes I can, and I will. You said it yourself, anybody that wrestles in TNA wont be huge draws to everyone, WWE is really the only place to become a HUGE worldwide mainstream megastar, and do you REALLY think Vince will (or even would) push guys like Styles or Daniels to the moon, going over at WrestleMania in the main event for the World or WWE titles etc? Never happen, IMO. EVER.

They wrestle the wrong style? How you figure that? At least when I watch one of their matches 9 times out of 10 I'm going to see something that'll impress me. Cant say the same for the cruiserweights in the WWE. Can you?
Because flip flopping around doing all that flippy cruiserweight crap that they do isnt a draw, sorry. Sure, its spectacular and alot of people mark for it, but if its such a huge drawing style, why are ROH running tiny shows in front of paltry crowds? The big guys like Batista are the ones people get into and who draw, FOR THE MOST PART (not all the time, but mostly). Its been proven over time, the biggest draws are bigger guys, or guys who brawl and have a ton of charisma. When has a cruiser flip flopper like Daniels or Styles ever been a huge draw in the USA or Canada? None.

Ric Flair was only 6' 2"' date=' 242 lbs. And he was the best of the best 16 times.[/quote']Flair didnt wrestle that God-awful cruiserweight style, thats my point. Flair had a ton of intangibles, he was almost the total package, and in the NWA size wasnt as important as it was in the WWF, but even though Flair was the so-called "best of the best" 16 times, he was never Hulk Hogan. He was never Steve Austin. He was never the Rock. All bigger guys, all guys who brawl.

Chris Benoit' date='Dean Malenko,Eddie Guerrero,and so many others were indeed top wrestling superstars and they werent the biggest so whats your point?[/quote']Yes, Benoit and Guererro were pushed to the top, but did either of them become a huge draw who took the business to the next level? No! The question posed was who will take the business into the future, to the next level. I'm not saying Styles cant be NWA champion (because he was), but he WILL NOT be the next big thing, thats my point, your missing that.

Samoa Joe indeed is the kind of guy I would like to see in the spotlight for a long time. The Rock? Suuurrrrrrrrrrre. If Kevin Nash can comeback and get a NWA title shot why not the Great one? :eek
I never said the Rock is coming back or will come back, I said if there was one guy who COULD go to TNA and actually make a difference and draw, it would be the Rock. TNA could get Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin and those two guys wouldnt do much at all, the Rock would.

Samoa Joe COULD be a huge star' date=' he has it all, barring one thing: a good look. Sorry, but he looks like crap.[/quote']

I don't think that's important. He is being built up as an unstoppable heel, so I think his look fits his character.

Edited by cenarules

And Chris Benoit is right up there with him too DraVen.:help

Benoit is not, nor was he a draw. Guerrero actually had a proven streak of attracting a certain fanbase to house shows and live events. Benoit didn't.

In saying that, say what you will about size, but SmackDowns biggest, most consistant draw right now is Rey Mysterio. So either gimmicks can get someone over if protected enough, or Americans just love Mexicans.

I don't think that's important. He is being built up as an unstoppable heel' date=' so I think his look fits his character.[/quote']He is being built as an unstoppable character who doesnt look unstoppable. Look at the difference between Joe and a guy like Goldberg, for example. Now, Joe is a MUCH better worker than Goldberg, but he wont be even a fraction as successful as an unstoppable force, IMO, because people bought into Goldberg (who was what? 6'4" and about 300lbs of solid, rock hard muscle), whereas they like Joe, but I dont think alot of people will buy into him because he looks like Rikishi with dark hair and no beard. If Joe was taller and build like a mountain, he would find more success and would probably get picked up by WWE AND pushed like crazy by them.

Look at Brock Lesnar for example. If I saw Brock vs Joe, I'd expect to see Brock destroy him, he not only can work, but he looks the part. Looks are alot more important in wrestling than you are giving them credit for.

I think the one thing that Joe has on his side is protection. Proof of this is Taz. You look at ECW Taz and he was a midget, but he was f**king believable once the bell rang, and eventually everyone took the guy seriously (even himself, albeit too much).

With the same protection, Joe will be the same. There are ways to get around it, and I don't think TNA are gonna blow their load with him yet. He has potential to be a huge draw for them. So if anything, I think they've only just begun with him.

I think the one thing that Joe has on his side is protection. Proof of this is Taz. You look at ECW Taz and he was a midget, but he was f**king believable once the bell rang, and eventually everyone took the guy seriously (even himself, albeit too much).

With the same protection, Joe will be the same. There are ways to get around it, and I don't think TNA are gonna blow their load with him yet. He has potential to be a huge draw for them. So if anything, I think they've only just begun with him.

Joe has the same good thing going for him that Taz had in ECW: 99% of the rest of the roster are tiny. In ECW, Taz really didnt look overly small, and in TNA, Joe looks like one of the bigger guys because the majority of TNA are made up of scrawny looking little cruiser style guys. Look what happened to Tazz when he appeared in the WWF, sure he was booked horribly, but he also looked like the midget that he actually is. If Joe went there, he wouldnt look like the guy he does in TNA if he was put in there with the Big Shows, Kanes, Undertakers and so on.