Football News

Murph

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could this thread be used for minor sports news that wouldn't generate much in a single thread?

Example:

Paul Merson sacked by Walsall...

Its a good idea, but maybe putting a little bit more than a single sentence about said news would be better?

Sam Allardyce has stated he is not interested in the Newcastle Job.

Joey Barton wants to stay at Man City, and hopes to put his team on a par with Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd.

Alan Shearer scored his 201st goal for Newcastle in their match against Portsmouth last weekened. We won the match 2- 0.

Lee Bowyer has said he is 100% commited to Newcastle, despite being linked with a move to Charlton in the Janurary Transfer window.

Former Norwhich Striker Dean Ashton made his debut for West Ham against Sunderland last week, he scored a goal and helped West Ham win 2 - 0.

Reading lost to Birmingham last night to record their first loss in 32 games. (I think, anyway, I missed the end of the match)

Hearts have a mini rebellion underway, as Vlad "The Impaler" Romanov 'allegedly' told Graham Rix which players to pick for their game last night. Players are said to be unhappy to the max, and Andy Webster has stopped negotiations on his new contract, which would be bad news for Hearts as they'd get less for him when they eventually flog him to Rangers, at a vastly reduced price.

Thus sparking speculation that the England captain will be heading to Highbury this summer...

it's the sort of thing you can imagine Beckham doing: reporting to Highbury for the first day of training, to be told the rest of the team have all moved to Ashburton Gorve..

• Like 1

Anyone been watching the African Cup of Nations? I've been rooting for the Ivory Coast all the way through (because of DROGBA!~) and really hope they win the final. The quarter-final match against Cameroon had the best penalty shootout ever with the perfect ending. 22 consecutive successful penalties in a row, that c*nt Eto'o blasting over the bar and Drogba scoring the winner. Football at its best.

Not a fan of Eto'o then? I personally think he's better than Drogba.

Hes alot better than Drogba. Drogba isn't even Chelsea's best striker! Crespo is a far better Striker IMO ok pretty slow, but his movement is out of this world and always manages to pop up in the right place at just the right time.

While Eto'o is an excellent player (although over-rated), I dislike him as a person. The stunts he pulls disgust me, to be honest. One of the most recent incidents involved Cameroon's final World Cup qualifier where they needed a win to qualify. With the score at 1-1, they were awarded a penalty in injury-time. Eto'o (the designated penalty-taker) bottled it completely and refused to take the penalty. Another player, Wome, took it and missed it. Afterwards, Eto'o claimed that Wome had snatched the ball from him and demanded to take the penalty. Not very courageous of him, eh? Wome and other team-mates had to come out and to tell the press the truth about the situation.

Some of his ridiculous claims get on my nerves as well, i.e. he said that if Chelsea won last year's Champions League, he'd retire from football. I also hate players who spit at others and Eto'o is one of the most frequent offenders. The same applies for diving. So you can see why I dislike him immensely and was happy that he blasted the decisive penalty over the bar in the quarter-final.

Edited by Wolverine

Hes alot better than Drogba. Drogba isn't even Chelsea's best striker! Crespo is a far better Striker IMO ok pretty slow' date=' but his movement is out of this world and always manages to pop up in the right place at just the right time.[/quote']

Copied and pasted from a post made a few months ago (because I'm lazy and can't be bothered writing out a fresh argument).

Probably the most under-rated footballer of the last few years is Didier Drogba. Nearly every football fan I know ridicules him and says something along the lines of 'Drogba's crap because he's got no skill, he doesn't score enough goals and he's only in the team because of his price-tag'

All of the above criticisms are grossly unjust and unfair. Firstly, to say Drogba is rubbish because he isn't skilful shows a lack of understanding about the game. All right, he's not the best technical player in the world but he provides Chelsea with an option they otherwise do not have. He is essential to their style of play as he holds the ball up better than any other top-class striker in the world today. He is a fantastic header of the ball, is not a bad finisher and is a good team player (as 5 assists in the last 3 games would indicate). In short, he is the perfect target man.

As for not scoring enough goals, he plays as a lone striker. Hence, he doesn't get as many chances as people say he does. 'Oh but he plays for Chelsea, he gets loads of opportunities'. Actually he doesn't. He gets his fair share, but the majority of Chelsea's chances fall to Lampard and the two wingers. He scored 15 goals in 35 Premiership apperances last season. That is actually a very good strike rate for a target man whose main job is to bring others into the game and I'm sure he'll score even more this season.

The price tag argument is ridiculous. Sure he's not worth 24 million, but there aren't many players in the world who are. As for only being in the team because of it, Chelski don't particularly care about price-tags. To Abromavich, 24 million pounds is a pittance. Therefore, there's absolutely no pressure put on Mourinho to play him. If the size of the transfer fee did matter to Chelsea, Wright-Phillps would be an automatic starter.

Finally, those think that so-called 'better' players like Crespo should start instead of Drogba on a regular basis should remember one thing. Mourinho knows what he's doing. A coach who won the Premiership by nearly 20 points and won the Champions' League with Porto can't be that wrong, can he?

In other news...

The biggest p*icks in football are...

Jose Mourinho

Arjien Robben

Samuel Eto'o

Lee Bowyer

El Hadji Diouf

Mohammed Sissako

Roy Keane (loved what he did for Man U but come on, he's a tool)

Neil Lennon

Andrei Kanchelskis

Paul Ince

Robbie Savage

and

Paulo DiCanio....

No Craig Bellamy? :?

Fair point...

In further sporting news...

Craig Bellamy is also a big idiot worthy of inclusion....

Also...

Scolari not in contact with English FA

Portugal's Brazilian coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said on Wednesday he had not been in contact with the English Football Association about taking over the national coach's job from Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"I have had no contact with the English federation," he told journalists. "At times conclusions are drawn which are not connected to the truth."

In an interview with the BBC on Sunday, Scolari had said: "I know if I want to take over England I need to learn the language more."

'Big Phil', who led his native Brazil to their fifth World Cup title in 2002, said learning English had nothing to do with wanting to train England.

"In the interview, I said I wanted to learn English, just like I want to learn other languages to become a more educated person," Scolari said.

"Just because I said I would learn English does not imply I have agreed anything with England.

"I already rejected various invitations from many important clubs and I have already said 180 times that I am very happy in Portugal."

He said he would only consider offers as of July when his contract with Portugal, beaten finalists at Euro 2004, runs out.

Scolari has repeatedly stated that he wants to stay with Portugal although that could depend on how Portugal do in the World Cup, where his ambition is to reach at least the last eight.

In other news...

Jose Mourinho

Arjien Robben

Samuel Eto'o

Lee Bowyer

El Hadji Diouf

Mohammed Sissako

Neil Lennon

Andrei Kanchelskis

Paul Ince

Robbie Savage

and

Paulo DiCanio....

I doubt Roy Keane is a tool now.Some others that should be added in are all the BBC pundits BAR Adrian Chiles, and also all the sky sports pundits especially GOOD OL JR Jamie Redknapp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proudy

Hes alot better than Drogba. Drogba isn't even Chelsea's best striker! Crespo is a far better Striker IMO ok pretty slow, but his movement is out of this world and always manages to pop up in the right place at just the right time.

Copied and pasted from a post made a few months ago (because I'm lazy and can't be bothered writing out a fresh argument).

Quote:

Probably the most under-rated footballer of the last few years is Didier Drogba. Nearly every football fan I know ridicules him and says something along the lines of 'Drogba's crap because he's got no skill, he doesn't score enough goals and he's only in the team because of his price-tag'

All of the above criticisms are grossly unjust and unfair. Firstly, to say Drogba is rubbish because he isn't skilful shows a lack of understanding about the game. All right, he's not the best technical player in the world but he provides Chelsea with an option they otherwise do not have. He is essential to their style of play as he holds the ball up better than any other top-class striker in the world today. He is a fantastic header of the ball, is not a bad finisher and is a good team player (as 5 assists in the last 3 games would indicate). In short, he is the perfect target man.

As for not scoring enough goals, he plays as a lone striker. Hence, he doesn't get as many chances as people say he does. 'Oh but he plays for Chelsea, he gets loads of opportunities'. Actually he doesn't. He gets his fair share, but the majority of Chelsea's chances fall to Lampard and the two wingers. He scored 15 goals in 35 Premiership apperances last season. That is actually a very good strike rate for a target man whose main job is to bring others into the game and I'm sure he'll score even more this season.

The price tag argument is ridiculous. Sure he's not worth 24 million, but there aren't many players in the world who are. As for only being in the team because of it, Chelski don't particularly care about price-tags. To Abromavich, 24 million pounds is a pittance. Therefore, there's absolutely no pressure put on Mourinho to play him. If the size of the transfer fee did matter to Chelsea, Wright-Phillps would be an automatic starter.

Finally, those think that so-called 'better' players like Crespo should start instead of Drogba on a regular basis should remember one thing. Mourinho knows what he's doing. A coach who won the Premiership by nearly 20 points and won the Champions' League with Porto can't be that wrong, can he?

I aint saying Drogba is a "crap" Player, just Crespo is alot better :lol

In other news...

Jose Mourinho

Arjien Robben

Samuel Eto'o

Lee Bowyer

El Hadji Diouf

Mohammed Sissako

Neil Lennon

Andrei Kanchelskis

Paul Ince

Robbie Savage

and

Paulo DiCanio....

No Lorenzo Amorouso?

I get your point Proudy, there's no need to say it three times. :P

I agree that Crespo is the better finisher of the two and that his off the ball movement is excellent. However, Drogba fits better into Chelsea's style of play. He can hold the ball up better, is quicker, is less selfish and is a better header of the ball than Crespo. His power and strength also give Chelsea a whole new dimension, as evidenced against Bayern Munich last year. If they can't outplay the opposition, they can hit it long to Drogba who will cause the other team's defenders all sorts of problems. So while Crespo is an exceptional player, I'd play Drogba ahead of him.

I doubt Roy Keane is a tool now.Some others that should be added in are all the BBC pundits BAR Adrian Chiles' date=' and also all the sky sports pundits especially GOOD OL JR Jamie Redknapp[/quote']

I rather like Jamie Redknapp as a football pundit, however it pains me to say that he's not a patch on the best football pundit in Britain at the moment in the shape of Setanta sports Craig Burley.

Egypt 0-0 Ivory Coast (The Mummies win 4-2 on penalties)

The better team lost. The referee was appalling. Egypt's penalty in extra-time should never haver been given in a million years. Ivory Coast were the more attacking team and looked the most likely to win throughout. Unfortunately, Tizie can't save penalties. At all.

I hate Sod's Law.

In other news...

Jose Mourinho

Arjien Robben

Samuel Eto'o

Lee Bowyer

El Hadji Diouf

Mohammed Sissako

Neil Lennon

Andrei Kanchelskis

Paul Ince

Robbie Savage

and

Paulo DiCanio....

Don't forget Nicolas Anelka, or "Le Sulk," as they call him.