PPV crowds

GURRRRR

I've been watching some of my old wrestling tapes from the 80's and noticed that some of the crowds were enormous. Wrestlemania 3 was around 90,000!

But the recent PPV's attendances have been pretty low.

WM17 had a massive crowd but the Allstate Arena for Wrestlemania 22 (i'm going!!!) will only hold around 25,000.

Where's all the audience gone?

I also noticed that you dont get the same atmosphere and noise as you used to.

Wrestling isn't in a 'boom' period, at the moment.

And, more people who go to watch wrestling now are smarks plus the WWE isn't at it's most exciting at the moment.

That's how i see it, in short, anyway.

I've been watching some of my old wrestling tapes from the 80's and noticed that some of the crowds were enormous. Wrestlemania 3 was around 90,000!

But the recent PPV's attendances have been pretty low.

WM17 had a massive crowd but the Allstate Arena for Wrestlemania 22 (i'm going!!!) will only hold around 25,000.

The WWE couldnt sell out football grounds or open air stadiums like that at this current time as the product quite simply isnt drwing enough interest. The days of 73,000 in detroit for Wmania 3 and 80,000 at wembley for SSlam 92 are well and truly behind us. Back then everyone was gripped as to whether Hogan could beat Andre and the massive face vs face battle of the bulldog vs bret hart.

80,000 arent going to turn up to see the likes of John Cena do battle with Edge or Kurt Angle vs Orton, wrestling quite simply isnt as much fun or as enjoyable as it once was.

I think they could sell out big arenas for wrestlemania, it always sell out in hours and its the one where everyone wants to go to, so i dont know why they chose small venues. was wrestlemania 19 not a big crowd? they could sell out anywhere in the uk, or ireland

the mania areas are usually the best and biggest, but in recent years they have been that special. Take this as a example wrestlemania 19 was at sefco field (sorry about spelling) and 21 was at staples cnetre which is used regularly compared to the 19 arena. my favorite area to have a ppv is madsen square garden as i like the entrance way as it is different to others.

WWE could easily fill a stadium for Wrestlemania if they put the prices down significantly. Wrestlemania is the biggest sports entertainment event of the year, which attracts huge worldwide interest. And $750 in an arena for a top price seat at is absolutely ridiculous. If they put the price down to say $200 in a stadium for a top price seat and charged less for other seats too, they would be easily be able to fill the venue. Sure their overheads would be bigger, but they could still make a tidy profit by more people buying merchandise to cover these overheads. Edited by FreeSpirit

Mania doesnt really sell out in minutes - first the promotors get tickets, then they go on pre-sale, then the people who turn up at the arena get priority, then they go to 'net sales where whatevers left, sells out in minutes.

By the time the tickets are on general sale, it sells out in minutes cos there aint that much left and everyone wants to go to mania

bought my tickets at $290 each and for RAW the next night at $125

bought my tickets at $290 each and for RAW the next night at $125

I'm going both nights as well. Two tickets to WM22 bought in the presale cost me $223.50 sitting in the nosebleeds, while Raw the next night in the lower tier was $120.50.

Im obviously looking forward to both events, but would love to have seen Mania in a huge stadium in Chicago like Soldier Field or Wrigley Field.

Don't you mean Wrestlemania 3 which held 93' date='173? (although the events promoter Zane Bresloff later claimed the number was around 78,000)[/quote']

No because Gorrilla says while commenting, 'the largest ppv audience in history Brain' or something like that, I was watching it a couple of days ago.

The original Silvervision VHS I might add.:P

No, Wrestlemania 7 holds absolutely no records what so ever in attendance...unless it was the highest attendance in the arena in which it was held in...which still isn't that great of an acomplishment, after all, must events can't have ground seats after all, and have to use only what is already in the arena.

I just think that Wrestling isn't at an all time high. When you look back at some of the buyrates, there were near enough skyrocketing for PPV's. But I think because of some of the characters in the WWE, it kind of lets fans down. But I don't think WWE crowds would go much lower than this as it is at a stage where they are holding it very steady.

If they held a big PPV over in the UK like Summerslam or Survivor Series at a 50,000 capacity stadium or arena, i'm definately sure they would sell out or come extremely close. If they held one over here, lets face it, most of us would be straight down queing outside the arena to get our tickets.

No because Gorrilla says while commenting, 'the largest ppv audience in history Brain' or something like that, I was watching it a couple of days ago.

According to Wikipedia, Wrestlemania 3 drew a crowd of 93,173 at the Pontiac Silverdome (disputed figure 75,500), while Wrestlemania 7 only drew a crowd of 15,000 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.

According to Wikipedia' date=' Wrestlemania 3 drew a crowd of 93,173 at the Pontiac Silverdome (disputed figure 75,500), while Wrestlemania 7 only drew a crowd of 15,000 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.[/quote']

What's your point it could be wrong, I don't think their going to make a huge statement like that if it doesn't even come close to wrestlemania 3 now are they?

15000 is a HUGE difference to 70-90000 don't you think?

Well I really hate when they do Wrestle Mania in small venues such as the Staple Center last year and the Arrow Head Pond in 2000. Big Venues like Safeco Field in 2003 rock su much.

And hopefully WM 23 will be in the Ford Field, where the NFL Detroit Lions play and where las Sunday SuperBowl was held wich is a big venue, even with the football field in the middle it had one heck of a crowd. So take the football field off and put the tiny ring in the middle, just greatness with a bunch of fans.

BTW what's the max capacity in the Ford Center ?

I don't think it ever did' date=' didn't they have to move it to a smaller arena because of terror concerns?[/quote']

If you believe that, then you'll believe there really was 93,000 fans at WrestleMania 3........

Slaughter and Hogan just wasn't a big money match. They had a huge arena booked (also in LA) but they couldn't fill it up, it would've looked silly on tv. So they moved it down the road and 'sold out' the Los Angeles Sports Arena. Although, it's been said that at least 5000 of that 'sell out' were comps.

The terror concerns lie was made up to save face. Do you really think, Vince would let hundreds of thousands of dollors slip him by over some "concerns"?

It was the largest PPV audience in the history of PPV, up until that point in time, not live attendance in the arena.

yea i think they announced it at over 93,000 but in reality it was closer to 75,000. Andre vs Hogan could have soldthat place out on their own that night with no undercard that was a real wmania main event. Think of any full time wwe guys that could draw over 70,000 into an arena nowdays?

HHH vs Cena

Angle vs Rey

:lol

i doubt it very much

Ok I get you' date=' so is THAT record still in tact?[/quote']Monsoon was talking out of his ass to make it seem more important, the WWF dont get PPV numbers for weeks/months after the event, so there is no way Monsoon could have known how many people were watching as the event was actually taking place.

I'd say the biggest PPV record ever would be WrestleMania 20 or 21, whichever was bigger, I forget.