How long is too long? In career terms....

MojoPogo

I was thinking, with amount of "veteran" wrestlers on the WWE roster, i was wondering, does anybody think its time for any of them to retire, who still has a lot to offer, who should retire gracefully? And why? Who do you think would have something to offer behind the scenes? Indeed, are there any legends out there you'd actually like to see make a comeback?

Me? Although, i am a Taker fan, i find myself hoping he WILL actually retire at Mania, mainly so i can still retain my awesome memories of him at his peak, i find even with the rumble entrance i was saying "Meh". Not good.

Flair i think really should be at least thinking of retiring, but every time i say that he confounds me by putting on a match like TLC. I think he could really contribute to bringing on the younger wrestlers (just NOT a booker!).

Foley, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H are all candidates as well, though they still have much to offer (injury permitting for all three), but im sure some people will think one (not point elbows at anyone *cough Triple h cough*) or more of them should bow out too.

Any thoughts?

Too long is when you can't perform anymore, and the crowd don't care about you.

The two cases that come into my mind thinking of this are, Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan. It's OK for us smarks to sit here and blast Hogan's work, but the fact is, he is a major boost for buyrates, and you will nto dfind one wrestler more over than him. Is it good buisness for him to retire? Asolutely not.

Ric Flair is still loved no matter how much he is booked, and he can still deliver in the ring. He will never have a match as good as in 1989 or so, when he was putting on matches of the century with Ricky Steamboat, but his matches againgst Triple H were easily the match Of The Night. At his age, that is very impressive, even if he was carried, but really, if he can still perform better than half of the roster, why not?

Then you have people like Terry Funk who have disgraced their legacy. Not only has Funk proven himself to be unbearable now in the ring, he has changed to garbage wrestling. I agree with Jim Cornette's views on pretty much all of that rubbish, so it was pretty dissapointing to me, as an ex-Funk fan (Not much of one admittedly) to see rely on constant chair shots, barbwire and other sh*t like that.

Mitsuharu Misawa who another who has had some fabulous matches in his career, and has made his name in doing that, but he is a shell of his former shelf. I don't see the point in him carrying on, when the majority of his matches are incredibly bad. Even his match againgst Kawada (Who has aged fairly well) last year was horrendous, especially compared to Kensuke/Kobashi. He is being carried now in tag matches, and although it won't affect his legacy much, it's dissapointing to see.

It depends on the individual really. I have no problems with Flair, Hogan, but Terry Funk and Misawa really should of retired a few years ago.

Foley' date=' Shawn Michaels, and Triple H are all candidates as well, though they still have much to offer (injury permitting for all three), but im sure some people will think one (not point elbows at anyone *cough Triple h cough*) or more of them should bow out too.[/quote']

You honestly think Triple H adds nothing to the WWE product? Do you think he adds so little that he should retire? Unbelievable!!

I can't really name any talent currently on WWE tv that I think should retire. Flair is still entertaining as is Michaels. Taker is still able to put on some great matches.

You honestly think Triple H adds nothing to the WWE product? Do you think he adds so little that he should retire? Unbelievable!!

I can't really name any talent currently on WWE tv that I think should retire. Flair is still entertaining as is Michaels. Taker is still able to put on some great matches.

Nope. What i was saying, is SOME people might. I rate him highly, but any forum will always have a high percentage of HHHaters who will say he should go.....and the odd nutbar who'll claim the hot young talent suck, i was just trying to see what opinions were.:help

a career is never too long' date=' [b']if they want to carry on wrestling they will, and if they dont want to carry on wrestling they wont, its their decision.[/b]

Great answer Cap'n obvious.

But like Jack said, a carrer can be consider too long when they know they can't go anymore in the ring, I mean Undertaker is closing to 50 I think but the man can go in the ring, not like he used to (Duh) but he can still go.

One good example of someone who has prolonged his carrer way to long is Terry Funk.

alright you want my opinion i'll give you it.

IMO aslong as a wrestler can still entertain fans and still work reasonably well then there's no reason why they should be forced to retire, unless they want to retire because of nagging injuries, there are a few wrestlers that i think should hang there boots up for good and one of them is Terry Funk, i cant say anything that hasnt been said already but didnt he first announce his retirement in the mid 80's? i dont think anyone like Foley, HHH or Michaelz should retire because they still give alot to the wrestling business (Foley would give more if he was still an onscreen character, i think Jerry Lawler should just stick to being a colour commentator and stop having randon matches/angles, i like Lawler but i like him better as a Colour Commentator.

Two ways to look at it, business and common sense.

Business says as long as you affect the buyrates and selling of merchandise positively you can still wrestle(be carried) in a match.

Common sense says when you have to be carried and are limited to what you can do in the ring because of age and injuries you should pack it in.

alright you want my opinion i'll give you it.

IMO aslong as a wrestler can still entertain fans and still work reasonably well then there's no reason why they should be forced to retire, unless they want to retire because of nagging injuries, there are a few wrestlers that i think should hang there boots up for good and one of them is Terry Funk, i cant say anything that hasnt been said already but didnt he first announce his retirement in the mid 80's? i dont think anyone like Foley, HHH or Michaelz should retire because they still give alot to the wrestling business (Foley would give more if he was still an onscreen character, i think Jerry Lawler should just stick to being a colour commentator and stop having randon matches/angles, i like Lawler but i like him better as a Colour Commentator.

There we go, was it that hard ?

I think someone like Kevin Nash should retire, but then again I think thats obvious. Undertaker should start considering but maybe he shouldn't retire yet because he is still over, same with Hogan and Flair. Even funk is still going on well and apparently will be one of the main stars at the WWE ECW ppv this year, and he can still go and entertain the fans in a different way.

Ric Flair should have packed it in a long time ago. Sure, he still has the odd gimmick match thats good, but that has nothing to do with Flair. The majority of his matches have been horendous since his return in 2001. Another one of the reasons why wrestling his laughed at.

Imagine sitting through a Ric Flair 2001-2006 comp, oh dear. Actually it may well turn out to be so bad, that its good!

Imagine sitting through a Ric Flair 2001-2006 comp' date=' oh dear. Actually it may well turn out to be so bad, that its good![/quote']

Final Nitro, 2001: Sting Vs Flair and following promo

Royal Rumble 2002: Vince McMahon Vs Flair

Wrestlemania X8: Undertaker Vs Flair

King of the Ring 2002: Eddie Guerrero Vs Flair

Raw, July 2002: The Rock Vs Flair and pre-match promo

Summerslam 2002: Chris Jericho Vs Flair

Unforgiven 2002: Chris Jericho Vs Flair and heel turn later in the night

Raw, May 2003: HHH Vs Flair and post match celebration of Ric Flair

Bad Blood 2003: Shawn Michaels Vs Flair

Raw, February 2004: Chris Benoit Vs Flair

Wrestlemania XX: The Rock and Mick Foley Vs Orton, Flair and Batista

Raw, July 2004: Musical Chairs

Taboo Tuesday 2004: Randy Orton Vs Ric Flair in a steel cage match

Raw, February 2005 from Japan: Shawn Michaels Vs Ric Flair

Raw, June 2005: Kurt Angle Vs Ric Flair

Taboo Tuesday 2005: HHH Vs Flair in a steel cage match

Survivor Series 2005: HHH Vs Flair in a Last Man Standing match

Raw, December 2005: Kurt Angle Vs Ric Flair

Raw, January 2006: Edge Vs Ric Flair in a TLC match

Wow, that would be an awful compilation. Great matches, great promos, great heat and the unique connection with the fans that only a handful of wrestlers EVER have managed to make. I'm horrified just thinking about watching that.

Wow' date=' that would be an awful compilation. Great matches, great promos, great heat and the unique connection with the fans that only a handful of wrestlers EVER have managed to make. I'm horrified just thinking about watching that.[/quote']You forgot his WWF Undisputed title shot he had at Hulk Hogan on RAW in May 2002, decent-ish match, better than their usual WCW tripe.

Wow' date=' that would be an awful compilation. Great matches, great promos, great heat and the unique connection with the fans that only a handful of wrestlers EVER have managed to make. I'm horrified just thinking about watching that.[/quote']

Why do people automatically think if you wrestle Benoit, HBK, Jericho or Eddie you have a good match? Did you even see these matches? They were awful, especially his bouts against Jericho. The only good matches since his return were against Vince, Undertaker, Triple H and Edge, which were all gimmick matches.

For every good Flair match, there are 30 stinkers out there against The Hurricane and Rico.