WCW's Downward Spiral

Ryan

There were a number of reason's as to why WCW came to its closure and i'd like to run through a few of those reasons, the first one comes to mind is the most obvious one is WCW's lack of ambision to push new talent, the only person the WCW managed to push and coincidently pushed that superstar to the limit of WCW biggest star of the late 90's, and that man was Goldberg, but there were so many others that WCW could of pushed to be main players or even upper-midcarders, people like Sean O'Haire, he could of been a decent enough star in WCW (and even in WWE but he still failed to get the push he needed in WWE also), although O'Haire was given a push as in a Tag Team with O'Haire but i think O'Haire would of been a good US Champion, the other people WCW failed to push is some of the veterans, in the early 90's WCW's aim was to hire recognised people, but they came the bit them in the ass when they had nothing to do with them, take DiBiase, what did he do in WCW? he was in the nWo? so, did anyone care, no they didnt because DiBiase (although he was almost retired) dint get the push he needed, another Veteran/Legend WCW hired and did nothing with was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper what did WCW ever do with him? put him in an angle with the nWo, then what, yeh they gave him a run as US Champion but WCW didnt do what WWE should of done also, and thats make him the World Champion, Another Verteran/Legend WCW didnt do anything with is Curt Hennig, he debuted in WCW as a red hot prospect and he was put in the Four Horseman which i thought was great but then asoon as he turned on the Horseman and joined the nWo i knew that he was going to be another wasted talent, a run as US Champion & a Run as Tag Team Champion With Barry Windham and put in a Stable which was the total oppisite of his best gimmick just wasnt going to compensate for not being given a run as the WCW World Champion, one more veteran/legend that WCW did absoltely jackshit with is Davey Boy Smith, i can remember him having a match against Curt Hennig then injuring his back on the metal trapdoor that was on the ring in preperation for The (Ultimate) Warriors the list of New Talent & Legends that didnt get a fair push is WCW goes on and on, the last thing that i think really finished WCW of is the Lack of Impact in the TV Shows and the angles that were inexplicable, i mean The Pregnacy from hell comes to mind as the angle that finally shot WCW in the face, and now coming to the end of my rant i have one thing to say about the nWo, the nWo was like a spiders web, once a superstar was in the nWo, that was it, that was your only push unless you had that extra stuff that makes you marketable, so in conclusion i ask you what your opinion on WCW downfall and what caused it.

it annoys me to have to write negitivly about WCW because i very much enjoyed watching WCW and i for one was sad to see it close down but it was loads of different things that finally made WCW implode and i think i named some good ones, there are still more reasons that i dont know yet or that i've missed out, so whats your opinion?

Some insane booking and the major financial problems WCW had led to its downfall. Turner paid massive amounts for superstars like Hogan, Nash, Hall, Hart, Sting, Goldberg etc. without having the funds to do so. He had them all on dodgy credit.

Everyone knows why WCW went down the toilet, they were just a terribly-run wrestling company.

They didn't push talent,

They gave too many wrestlers 'creative control' clauses in their contracts,

They let Kevin Nash (i.e the laziest and also luckiest wrestler of his generation) book for the company,

They re-hashed the coolest storyline in pro wrestling history (the New World Order) too many times and fans couldn't care less, they let Vince Russo do what he wanted without a Vince McMahon-type figure in charge to filter his good, bad and mostly terrible ''creativity",

They let David Arguette and Russo win the groups world title,

They made every title in the company worthless with frequent changes, stripping, awarding and vacating of the belts virtually every other week,

The company had no locker room discipline because of the people who ran the group changed so frequently,

They had a great talent like Bret Hart and didn't know what to do with him,

They threw money down the drain because they were too interested in winning the 'Monday Night War', i.e Hulk Hogan versus Goldberg for the world title in 1998 should have been on pay-per-view, they threw millions down the drain their.

These are all the things we knew already but i just thought i'd point them out for the sake of the thread.

I was saddened to see WCW get gobbled up by Vince as i enjoyed watching the show as an alternative to the WWF/E but it came as no suprise when it happened. You just can't run a successful company in the way that they did, it all catches up with you in the end.

As has been said it was lack of pushing talent that forced WCW out of buisness, Turner didn't know about wrestling, he just spent huge amounts of money getting WWE wrestlers with big names who were past their prime.

If WCW had brought its own guys in and made them stars (like WWE has for years) then it could have been so different, also if NWO had taken over fully like Bich wanted it wouldn't have hurt them in killing WWF/E

To be honest, WCW must of had something going for them at some point to beat Raw for how many weeks they had on the trot, but the downfall I believe was because of the sloppyness with the creative control and backstage, it wasn't the action or the superstars imo.

There were a number of reason's as to why WCW came to its closure and i'd like to run through a few of those reasons, the first one comes to mind is the most obvious one is WCW's lack of ambision to push new talent, the only person the WCW managed to push and coincidently pushed that superstar to the limit of WCW biggest star of the late 90's, and that man was Goldberg, but there were so many others that WCW could of pushed to be main players or even upper-midcarders, people like Sean O'Haire, he could of been a decent enough star in WCW (and even in WWE but he still failed to get the push he needed in WWE also), although O'Haire was given a push as in a Tag Team with O'Haire but i think O'Haire would of been a good US Champion, the other people WCW failed to push is some of the veterans, in the early 90's WCW's aim was to hire recognised people, but they came the bit them in the ass when they had nothing to do with them, take DiBiase, what did he do in WCW? he was in the nWo? so, did anyone care, no they didnt because DiBiase (although he was almost retired) dint get the push he needed, another Veteran/Legend WCW hired and did nothing with was "Rowdy" Roddy Piper what did WCW ever do with him? put him in an angle with the nWo, then what, yeh they gave him a run as US Champion but WCW didnt do what WWE should of done also, and thats make him the World Champion, Another Verteran/Legend WCW didnt do anything with is Curt Hennig, he debuted in WCW as a red hot prospect and he was put in the Four Horseman which i thought was great but then asoon as he turned on the Horseman and joined the nWo i knew that he was going to be another wasted talent, a run as US Champion & a Run as Tag Team Champion With Barry Windham and put in a Stable which was the total oppisite of his best gimmick just wasnt going to compensate for not being given a run as the WCW World Champion, one more veteran/legend that WCW did absoltely jackshit with is Davey Boy Smith, i can remember him having a match against Curt Hennig then injuring his back on the metal trapdoor that was on the ring in preperation for The (Ultimate) Warriors the list of New Talent & Legends that didnt get a fair push is WCW goes on and on, the last thing that i think really finished WCW of is the Lack of Impact in the TV Shows and the angles that were inexplicable, i mean The Pregnacy from hell comes to mind as the angle that finally shot WCW in the face, and now coming to the end of my rant i have one thing to say about the nWo, the nWo was like a spiders web, once a superstar was in the nWo, that was it, that was your only push unless you had that extra stuff that makes you marketable, so in conclusion i ask you what your opinion on WCW downfall and what caused it.

it annoys me to have to write negitivly about WCW because i very much enjoyed watching WCW and i for one was sad to see it close down but it was loads of different things that finally made WCW implode and i think i named some good ones, there are still more reasons that i dont know yet or that i've missed out, so whats your opinion?

you say the wcw should have pushed new talent, then you say your willing to give the world title to piper and give the ultimate warrior a proper push?

piper was part time at best,

and the warrior v hogan match at holloween havoc was tragic.

wcw realised they were in really in trouble in early 1999, and they started to put some decent booking together, but it was only for a short period before they handed the reigns over to russo and ferrara, and it went downhill from there

overall i dont think it had to do with the wcw causing its own downfall because they were successful using the nWo angle previously, but the wwf at the time really got their act together and was producing some great entertainment, the wcw just looked stale in comparison

Reasons WCW failed...Nash's booking,Hogan being a hog (titles,spotlight,money),stupid and tasteless gimmicks and storylines like Oklahoma(Ed Ferrera) mocking J.R and his Bell's Palsy, "revamping" the nWo over and over again not using the 4 horsemen,goldberg(from 99 onwards) and sting properly.