Talk Whatever Online is becoming Deadicated Fans! Forum restructure is under construction ×

Deal or No Deal?

Ed_666

Don't know if everyone has seen this programme, I noticed it mentioned in another thread title, but I came up with an interesting idea for a dilemma.

For anyone who doesn't know the show, the contestant has a box in front of them, with an unknown amount of money, and there are 22 (I think) other boxes, one with a different amount in, from 1p up to £1/4m.

The player opens boxes 3 at a time, and whatever is revealed is knocked off (because it can't be in their box). The banker then makes them an offer, for their box. They can either deal, or carry on, and take away more. If all the high ones go, the offer will be low, and vice versa.

If you keep going, you get down to two boxes left, and they make a final offer. You can either take their offer, or open your box and have what's in it.

Now, the question is this - say you're playing, and you've got to the final choice. The only two amounts left are 1p and £250,000. The banker offers you £50k. Would you take it?

You've got a 50/50 chance of getting £200k more, but also a chance of ending up with 1p. Would you take the money or risk it?

If you would deal, what if they only offered you £25k? Would you deal for that?

So, £50k, deal or no deal?

Ed

I'd deal. No question. £50,000 is a shedload of money to me! And yes, I'd still deal if the banker only offered me £25,000. Still loads of money. Money I could do a lot with. My luck is kind of vicious to me at times, there's no way it's going to bite me in the ass and leave me with a penny!

I'd deal on that. The question Gill puts to me a lot is the two boxes left are £100k and £250k - you get offered £180k - deal or no deal?

Again, I'd deal. I've never had, £250,000, so I'm not going to miss it by accepting the deal. I want the most I can get with the minimum amount of risk, and hey, I'm not greedy. ;)

Sitting at home, I'm saying I wouldn't deal, but 249k is a hell of a lot of money to lose, so I'm not sure. Obviously 50,000 is a lot anyway, but like you said it's a 50/50 chance, so I'm completely split on this.

On the subject of the show, how dramatic is Geordie (?)? He seems to be a nice enough bloke, but when someone ends up with a tiny amount of money, he looks suicidal.

I'd say No Deal, but to be honest I would think the offer would be higher than that. For 100k or 250k for 180k offer I'd no deal because worst case you end up with 100k.

Geordie is the biggest legend ever, I love watching him and I thought it was just me and my friends that notices him. w00t

Why not test what you'd do a bit more. Not quite as good as the Channel 4 version but you get the jist.

http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/game/

I love this show. And indeed Inno, when Geordie plays I think the world will mark out. Geordie will have a following everywhere I'm sure.

And to answer the original question, I'd deal at anything above £25,000. Because I'm just not a gambler at all.