Eriksson to leave England job

The Crippler

From BBC Sport:

Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit as England coach following this summer's World Cup finals.

Eriksson met with FA officials on Monday and will leave the job after six years in charge.

He said: "I am happy that we have reached this agreement and can now continue our preparations for the World Cup.

"It is important to stress how committed I am to success this summer. Let's go and win the World Cup."

Eriksson continued: "I know that I have the full support of the players and the FA.

"I care passionately about this job and I want everyone to know that.

"I have always enjoyed the incredible support of the fans and I know how important they will be to us in Germany."

Eriksson has come under increasing pressure following a interview with an undercover reporter from the News of the World.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.

"There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks and months, it was important to resolve it now."

Barwick continued: "This is the right outcome and I would like to thank Sven and his advisors for their tremendous co-operation.

"Our main objective is giving Sven and the England team the best chance of achieving success at the World Cup and Sven is definitely the man to lead us in Germany.

Thoughts?

H eshould have gone years ago, no scrap that never appointed in the first place, I am glad he is going but I would like to see him gone now not after the World Cup, I don't think he has any insentive not to do well and the players will be wondering about their future too when he is gone, what is needed is a change before the Cup so they can star tto bed in together right in time for it.

Heard it on Radio 5, as i was listening to West Ham V Fulham. I'm glad really, let him and the team concentrate on the World Cup. The team more or less picks its self (expect maybe the left wing and other central defender with Terry) Last two times this happened we reached the Semi final...F**Kin Germans, so hopefully 3rd time lucky? Wish him all the best. Not sure who i'd like to replace him yet, But has to be English! Edited by Proudy

Heard it on Radio 5' date=' as i was listening to West Ham V Fulham. I'm glad really, let him and the team concentrate on the World Cup. The team more or less picks its self (expect maybe the left wing and other central defender with Terry) Last two times this happened we reached the Semi final...F**Kin Germans, so hopefully 3rd time lucky? Wish him all the best. Not sure who i'd liked to replace him yet, But has to be English![/quote']

That is true about the team, but what I find shocking is the subs that he makes at times, bringing players off to replace them with Hargreaves and people of much less ability then we end up losing in the major comps that I find the worst and why he shouldn't been here for the World Cup at all

I support the comment about the next manager too!

Good for Sven, he won't be hassled my the media anymore and he's got a huge payoff.

Who will get the job then?

Jewell, Allaydyce or Mclaren?

And if any of those long ball merchants do get the job how on gods green earth will they use Lampard and Gerrard?

That is true about the team, but what I find shocking is the subs that he makes at times, bringing players off to replace them with Hargreaves and people of much less ability then we end up losing in the major comps that I find the worst and why he shouldn't been here for the World Cup at all

I support the comment about the next manager too!

Totally agree, Sven seems to think he has this duty to bring on Hargreaves at every possible chance, but hes a waste of space.

Who will get the job then?

Jewell, Allaydyce or Mclaren?

Steve Mclaren??? you must be having a laugh!

Edited by Proudy

Granted he's not a fantastic attacking midfield talent such as your Gerrard and Lampard, but hey who is.

But he will add a bit of stability to your midfield and would be a far better bet than David Beckahma or Ledly King to play the holding role.

Sven seems to want to chuck Hargraeves on when were chasing the game, and thats not the thing to do.

Yeah can't say I'm surprised.

Will be interesting to see who becomes the new coach.

I think Sven's downfall, was never having a plan B.

We have so many talented players to play virtually any formation, yet he never seemed to want to try anything.

Hopefully he'll go out with a bang, but I very much doubt it.

I wanted Sven gone but not in this way... i wish that the press would butt out and let the FA get on with things...

the media are hurting football and are putting too much pressure on the England team that should be relazing and focusing on the world cup (as well as domestic football)

but if Sven wins the world cup do you actually think we would let him go?? no chance

Sven's downfall is that he is foreign, and that he doesn't go around making beautiful media soundbites and doesn't go around punching the air and doesn't scream his head off.

That's what England need , isn't it? A nice, passionate, ENGLISH MANAGER who loves the media, who always gives interviews, who gets into a tizzy on the touchline in every game because he's just so damned passionate about England.

A manager like that would never let England down the way Sven has, would he?

Would he Keegan?

England, and especially the News Of The World, have shot themselves in the foot with this one. You have just lost one of the most astute and successful managers who ever managed England and you have driven him out for what?

Certainly not the results. Certainly not the integration of some of the most promising young English players around into the full squad. Certainly not the qualification for major tournaments. Certainly not the results delivered in competitive matches.

This News Of The World sting is the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't think Sven was made to go by people higher than him. Please realise he has walked out because his position has been made untenable by character besmirching, especially by the odious News Of The World.

And before anyone defends that rag newspaper, consider this: it calls itself a "football paper"; a newspaper that supports England and the English soccer team.

If that's the case then why are David Beckham, Wayne Rooney and now Sven Eriksson, England's captain, talisman and manager respectively, ALL suing the NOTW for various things at the same time?

They make me sick and they will no doubt, in a few years, in the quite possible event that England win the World Cup this year, look back at Sven in awe and wonder why he ever left.

*******s.

Cheers!

Good post there Boyo, I agree especially wih your comments about the News of the World. Thing is with Eriksson he started out well but I think it's time for a change, he seems to have been getting bored in the job and the defeat's and performances in the autumn convinced me of this. I think England qualified for the World Cup despite Sven rather than because of him, and I can't see us winning the World Cup with him in charge.

As for who to take over, my number one choice would be Gus Hiddink, currently managing PSV Eindhoven and Australia, could he be convinced to take over the job? He certainly knows his way around the International scene and could build on what Sven has already built. After that I'd like to have seen a team of Bobby Robson and Alan Curbishley, which would have seen Curbishley gradually taking over in time, but the Irish also had a similar idea and that's out of the window now.

It's an interesting one who they're going to pick, I don't think they'll go with public opinion and pick an Englishman for the sake of it.

Glad they've given him the job till after the world cup' date=' if they replaced him now i don't think the squad would settle again in time.[/quote']

I disagree with that,

These players are pros and just about all the team is in place, they have been playing together for ages and there is friendlies before the World Cup and a 1 month get together, that has to be plenty of time to gel with eachother and the manager.

What I worry baout now is Sven has nothing to lose, he's going anyway so why should he care if England do well or not at the World Cup, it is not going to affect his situation of getting a club management job as he can then just say well I was going anyway so the players didn't preform for me as I wanted.

Hiddinks agent has been on Sky Sports news this evening and it does sound as if he may be intrested in taking the England reigns come the Autum.

If he was to take the England job does anybody think he could do what he's been doing whilst handling the Australian job also pulling the strings with PSV?

One downfall and please correct me if i'm wrong, but i've never seen Hiddink speak a word of English. This has'nt really mattered in Australia nor whilst in with in charge of South Korea. It could also be a blessing in disguise.

Well thats it, if he can get south Korea to the World cup semis, Australia to the finals themselves whilst holding down a job at PSV of whom are playing some of the best football in Europe and was very unlucky to miss out on the Champions league final last season after outplaying AC Milan over 2 legs.

I don't care if he's Dutch

He's the man i want to take the job.

All candidates may be intrseted to know that the draw for the Euro 2008 qualifiers takes place this Friday dinner time.

Well i'm pleased to see Sven leave, i've always made it clear how i feel about having a foreign manager in charge of our national side. I beleive every national side should have a manager from that country, but thats just my view.

I do agree that kicking sven out now would be detrimental to any chance we had/have at the World Cup, so leaving him in until afterwards is the best thing for the team. As for a replacement, well i want an englishman in charge, Curbs is a good choice. But its down to the FA and if they want to bring in Gus then thats up to them.