Happy 22nd Aniversary

The Beltster

Hulk Hogan! It was 22 years ago today that The Incredible Hulk Hogan defeated The Iron Shiek in 5:40 to become the ninth WWF World Heavyweight Champion. This started the resurrgence of professional wrestling and kicked off the national and internation expansion on a small territorial outfit which would turn it into the Worldwide powerhouse it is today, and Hulkamania has been running wild ever since. :)

If you think about it, respect is due. If it wasnt for Hogan, there would have been no WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, King of the Ring, RAW, SmackDown!, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker, Triple H, Ultimate Warrior....the list goes on and on.

Sure, they might have all become wrestlers, but they wouldnt have been what they became, they wouldnt be worldwide, EVERYTHING would be totally different in every way. Hogan changed the entire landscape of the industry, its hard to fathom exactly what it would be like if he had never 'happened'.

Respect to Superstar Billy Graham, too. Without him, there wouldnt have been a Hulk Hogan.

If you think about it' date=' respect is due.[/quote']

We've already said that.

And even though I'll be the first to sing Hogan's praises for putting wrestling on the map, I truly believe if it hadn't been Hogan it would have been someone else, just like I honestly believe if it hadn't been Mcmahon Jr it would have been someone else, because that is the way of the world.

If something is meant to be, it will be no matter who the puppets or puppeteers are.

Just my opinion.

PERFECT, you are the man of the moment mate, I was marking out ALL the way through that, bloody awesome!:xyx

Well it is sort of obvious isn't it. WM was built around Hulk Hogan.

Wrestlemania was the brainchild of Vince(as were nearly all ppvs in the early days) and the name was coined by Linda.

Although you are right it was centered around Hogan, like I've already said if it wasn't Hogan it would have been someone else, he was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and the right mind.

And that could have been ANYONE. But as it wasn't all HAIL Hogan!

You really do not know that so please don't state it as complete fact.
Oh do me a favour will you mate, just put in your sig "I will disagree with anything and everything Beltmark says!" that way, you can stop making a point of doing it in every single f'n thread.

And I never passed it off as a fact, I passed it off as my opinion, and in this instance, its more than likely as close to fact as it can be. Why, do you think otherwise? You really think everything would be the same if Hogan hadnt come along? Please...

And even though I'll be the first to sing Hogan's praises for putting wrestling on the map, I truly believe if it hadn't been Hogan it would have been someone else, just like I honestly believe if it hadn't been Mcmahon Jr it would have been someone else, because that is the way of the world.

If something is meant to be, it will be no matter who the puppets or puppeteers are.

Just my opinion.

It might have been somebody else, eventually, but not at the time Hogan did it, and maybe not even yet, to this day. My point is, if Hogan hadnt come along and caught fire the way he did in 1984, everything would be different right now, or at least years behind where it currently is. I wouldnt be at all surprised if there was no WWF/WWE, because Vince had his heart set on going national with or without Hogan, and without Hogan, it would have more than likely have been a disaster, and with Vince staking his entire company on it, he would have probably gone bust.

Wrestlemania was the brainchild of Vince(as were nearly all ppvs in the early days) and the name was coined by Linda.

Although you are right it was centered around Hogan, like I've already said if it wasn't Hogan it would have been someone else, he was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and the right mind.

And that could have been ANYONE. But as it wasn't all HAIL Hogan!

The name was coined by Howard Finkel, not Linda. Yes, the event was Vinces idea, but nobody at that time would have been right for the attitude of that era apart from Hulk Hogan. But it this way, if its as easy as just putting anybody in that spot with that gimmick, then anybody and everybody would be over, all the time. But its not as easy as just giving somebody a good gimmick and a good push. I have seen tons of guys given good gimmicks, and pushed hard with them only to crash and burn. In 1984, nobody could have been Hulk Hogan apart from Terry Bollea, nobody. He played the character too well and, like very few others have ever had, he had an aura which drew people to him. You cant just teach people that, you have it or you do. Hogan had it, was the right guy to play the character at the right time and it took off.

And I never passed it off as a fact' date=' I passed it off as my opinion, and in this instance, its more than likely as close to fact as it can be. Why, do you think otherwise? You really think everything would be the same if Hogan hadnt come along?[/quote']Did I say everything would be the same? No, but it wouldn't be completely different and you saying that there would be no Rumble, Survivor Series, Summerslam etc is complete over the top crap.

If I disagree with whatever, I'm not going to just keep it in because it's you posting with your 'Hogan is Jesus' philosophy.

It might have been somebody else, eventually, but not at the time Hogan did it, and maybe not even yet, to this day. My point is, if Hogan hadnt come along and caught fire the way he did in 1984, everything would be different right now, or at least years behind where it currently is. I wouldnt be at all surprised if there was no WWF/WWE, because Vince had his heart set on going national with or without Hogan, and without Hogan, it would have more than likely have been a disaster, and with Vince staking his entire company on it, he would have probably gone bust..

You're not getting it, the question posed was what if there had been no Hulk Hogan, and I'm saying there would have been someone else around at that time because when something is meant to happen in life, it always does regardless of who's involved.

The name was coined by Howard Finkel, not Linda.

Linda would dsagree with you there mate. Hell there was even an interview on this exact site with Linda when she states she came up with it.

In 1984, nobody could have been Hulk Hogan apart from Terry Bollea, nobody. He played the character too well and, like very few others have ever had, he had an aura which drew people to him. You cant just teach people that, you have it or you do. Hogan had it, was the right guy to play the character at the right time and it took off.

Once again the question/statement was wrestling wouldn't have got this big if there had never been a Hulk Hogan. Which means you wouldn't know wether anyone could have done the job better then Terry because he wouldn't be there for you to use as a reference point. And whose to say it would be that gimmick that would have been used for a different wrestler entirely? I'm not talking about a replacement Hulk Hogan, I'm talking about a completely different entity with his own look and style bringing pro wrestling to the forefront. if professional Wrestling was meant to become as big as it is today there would have been someone else around doing exactly what Hogan was doing in the eighties, but differently.

Edited by Thirteen

Did I say everything would be the same? No, but it wouldn't be completely different and you saying that there would be no Rumble, Survivor Series, Summerslam etc is complete over the top crap.

If I disagree with whatever, I'm not going to just keep it in because it's you posting with your 'Hogan is Jesus' philosophy.

How do you know it wouldnt be completely different? Your contradicting your own comment you directed at me when you said "Dont pass it off as fact as we dont know it for a fact!" or something similar. And how the hell is it complete over the top crap?! If WrestleMania failed, WWF would have gone out of business, and without Hulk Hogan, its highly doubtful it would have happened, let alone been a success, so it makes perfect sense, if you would just open your damn eyes to reality instead of disagreeing because of your simple dislike of Hulk Hogan! Get over it!

You're not getting it' date=' the question posed was what if there had been no Hulk Hogan, and I'm saying there would have been someone else around at that time because when something is meant to happen in life, it always does regardless of who's involved.[/quote']I am getting it perfectly, and we arent talking about another point in time, we are talking specifically about the time when Hogan came alone and took off. NOBODY else could have played that character the way Hogan did, and whether somebody came along 5-10-15 etc years later isnt the point, at that time, there was only one guy who could, and if he hadnt, wrestling right now wouldnt be the same.

Linda would dsagree with you there mate. Hell there was even an interview on this exact site with Linda when she states she came up with it.
I really dont care if Linda would disagree with me or not, I'm right. Vince and Finkel BOTH have stated, on the record, that Howard came up with the name after saying something along the lines of "Well, there was a Beetlemania, why cant we have WrestleMania?" Its even in the WWF-released Official History of WrestleMania book, along with being pretty common knowledge in itself.

Once again the question/statement was wrestling wouldn't have got this big if there had never been a Hulk Hogan. Which means you wouldn't know wether anyone could have done the job better then Terry because he wouldn't be there for you to use as a reference point. And whose to say it would be that gimmick that would have been used for a different wrestler entirely? I'm not talking about a replacement Hulk Hogan' date=' I'm talking about a completely different entity with his own look and style bringing pro wrestling to the forefront. if professional Wrestling was meant to become as big as it is today there would have been someone else around doing exactly what Hogan was doing in the eighties, but differently.[/quote']ok, let me word it better: If Hulk Hogan hadnt come along and been used/pushed the way he was at that time, wrestling today would be a totally different animal. That cannot be denied, there was nobody else at that time who Vince could have used the same way, or even in a different way which would have resulted in the same success. It might have been successful, but I very much doubt that the WWF would have gone national at that time, and if they had, I expect they would have gone belly up. Even with Hogan, it was touch and go right up until the day whether it was going to be a success, without him, it would have bombed, I'd put money on it.

Now, there might have been another point since then, where somebody else could have stepped up and taken it forward, somebody have to lay the foundations for the future afterall, but as history sits, Hogan was that man and I'd be hard pressed to think of anybody else in that time period who could have laid those same foundations for the future stars to have a platform to take off, guys like Austin and Rock etc.

ok, let me word it better: If Hulk Hogan hadnt come along and been used/pushed the way he was at that time, wrestling today would be a totally different animal. That cannot be denied, there was nobody else at that time who Vince could have used the same way, or even in a different way which would have resulted in the same success. It might have been successful, but I very much doubt that the WWF would have gone national at that time, and if they had, I expect they would have gone belly up. Even with Hogan, it was touch and go right up until the day whether it was going to be a success, without him, it would have bombed, I'd put money on it.

Well that's a COMPLETELY different statement mate.

ok, let me word it better: If Hulk Hogan hadnt come along and been used/pushed the way he was at that time, wrestling today would be a totally different animal. That cannot be denied

If Hogan hadn't been in Rocky III wrestling would be completley different, as he got pushed (I THINK PLEASE DON'T HURT ME IF I'M WRONG) in the AWA due to the reaction the fans gave him because of the role in Rocky III.And surely Dusty Rhodes could have taken Hogans place? As he was really over in Florida & New York (before national expansion) and was a much better talker than Hogan in my opinion.

If Hogan hadn't been in Rocky III wrestling would be completley different' date=' as he got pushed (I THINK PLEASE DON'T HURT ME IF I'M WRONG) in the AWA due to the reaction the fans gave him because of the role in Rocky III..[/quote']

from what i gathered yes that's true.. and judgin by what Hogan said about it in the autobiography it was Rocky that got him over.. he even usued the rocky music as an entrance theme

22 years? ahhh...I may have been only one, but reading Hulk's take on the whole thing makes me believe I was actually in the arena that day....... 150,000 fans, the 800 pound Iron Shiek, hundreds of beautiful ladies charging the ring, lusting after him.........

Just out of curiosity' date=' why?[/quote']Because DraVen doesnt like him and has a semi-regular piss and moan when more than one Hulk Hogan related thread pops up in the span on a couple days. If it was Cena, it would be a different story, trust me.

And let me add this, Hogan threads ALWAYS get people talking, and they get people debating well. Everybody makes good, well thought out posts and puts down their views and opinions well (for the most part), moreso in Hogan threads than anything IMO. I might not agree with some, but that matters not. Hogan threads = ratings in TWO. So, piss, moan and cry however much you like, its alot better than the usual "What is your favourite WrestleMania?" or "What finishing move to you like the most?" crap that turns up around here all-too-often!

If Hogan hadn't been in Rocky III wrestling would be completley different' date=' as he got pushed (I THINK PLEASE DON'T HURT ME IF I'M WRONG) in the AWA due to the reaction the fans gave him because of the role in Rocky III.And surely Dusty Rhodes could have taken Hogans place? As he was really over in Florida & New York (before national expansion) and was a much better talker than Hogan in my opinion.[/quote']Gene, your spot on buddy. Sylvester Stallone doesnt get anywhere close to the credit he should for the Hulkamania craze. Lets face it, (apparently) he hand picked Hogan to be in Rocky 3, and with his national exposure in that movie fresh in peoples minds, the AWA pushed him hard as a challenger for Nick Bockwinkle, the only problem was the AWA were stupid, they never let Hogan take the belt, it angered the fans and Hogan himself and when promised the WWF title, he jumped without giving it a second thought.

As for Rhodes, he was a star and over, but I very much doubt an entire promotion could have been built around him, he was a good talking and had ok matches, but he looked like crap. The NWA pushed him hard and he never drew there even as champ the way Hogan did in the WWF.