Jeff Jarrett

DanielFullard

It is fair to say that Jeff Jarrett comes in for a fair bit of criticism. The TNA fans chant ‘boring’ and ‘drop the belt’ and smarks all over the internet criticise JJ for holding onto the TNA title. But surely I cannot be the only one who likes and enjoys Jarrett’s work?

I have admired Jarrett ever since I first saw him in the WWF in the mid-nineties. He played his gimmick, which was both strong and over, to perfection and he was one of my favourites at the time. He gave a sting of top-quality matches with Razor Ramon and HBK and always entertained me, and as I have said he got over fairly quickly and strongly.

As time went on he altered his gimmick slightly, toning down his ring attire and acquiring Debra by his side. Again I though Jarrett was a great worker during this era and had a string of good feuds in the mid-card and even though his overness dipped, and only Debra seemed to keep him over after a while, he was given the IC title, European Title and Tag Titles numerous times throughout this era. I enjoyed this run but JJ was going no where in the WWF and after his time in the mid-card the only way was down if he stayed.

When he crossed to WCW and adopted ‘The Chosen One’ gimmick it seemed to give JJ a new lease of life and we saw some of his best matches in years, particularly with Benoit. To be honest WCW was dying by the time JJ got there and he was not going to be the guy to lead a revival but he did get over and did at least entertain me. Given some of the awful angles he had to work, particularly the one with Arquette, Jarrett did a good job and showed that he could successfully main event a major card. I didn’t enjoy his work in WCW as much as his mid-90’s WWF run but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Then we come onto the issue of TNA. For me Jarrett has always given his best in TNA and dare I say that the company has been the better for it. JJ gave a string of good matches and worked some very good angles in the days of Weekly PPVs and as TNA has transformed JJ has managed to keep up the good work. As a heel he does his job and gets the fans to hate him and even though it may be what some call ‘the wrong kind of heat’ the fact is that Jarrett gets big time heat and the desire of the live crowds to see him drop the belt adds a great atmosphere to his matches. He is good on the mic and the element of old-school I see in him is a nice mix compared with TNA’s fresh talent.

Overall, I guess what Im trying to say is that the high level of criticism Jarrett gets is largely unfair. The guy has had a great career, and having seen some his earlier work pre-wwf, particularly in USWA, he never has had much of a problem getting over.

His ring work has always been fine by me and he is not the most athletic guy, the fastest or technically great but as an overall package he has always been able to put on good matches no matter who the opponent.

So, basically I just want to start a discussion on the career of Jeff Jarrett…..

• Like 1

I really like JJ. I was never too keen on him in WWE or WCW but I really enjoy his work in TNA and I was at the 1PW shows in Doncaster earlier this month and on the first night I felt he carried the match with Harry Smith and on the second night i really enjoyed his match with AJ Styles

When he crossed to WCW and adopted ‘The Chosen One’ gimmick it seemed to give JJ a new lease of life and we saw some of his best matches in years' date=' particularly with Benoit.[/quote']

The ladder match benoit and Double J had at Starrcade 99 for the U.S title is one of my favourite matches of all time. Jarrett put on an excellent performance in that match and he had already wrestled that night in a bunkhouse brawl match with Dustin rhodes if im not mistaken.Jarrett can deliver the goods, he just needs to deliver the TNA world title to someone else, hopefully one Christian Cage.

Edited by DOB

Jeff Jarrett sucks in my opinion, nothing but an overated, irritating, low-level mid-carder who is well and truly past his sell by date.

He's like TNA'S answer to Trips but without the above-average, all-round ability and talent that admitedly Trips has.

Double J can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care.

He doesn't suck it's just the fact that he should never have been a Main Eventer , let alone a World Champion. The fact that his daddy was a big part of TNA for a while did help him a lot. Like I said, I don't mind him but just not on the ME scene. I really laugh when people compare JJ to HHH, sure JJ may not want to loose the belt like HHH but when people compare them in-ring and promo wise I just laugh so hard. HHH a Main Eventer, JJ a mid-carder at best.

I like Jeff Jarrett, I think he has held on to the belt for way too long and needs to step down though. I think he gets way to much criticism as his matches are actually pretty descent. The 'Boring' chants are pretty funny though.

As some guy with a sign once said "Jeff Jarett > Internet smart fans".

I went to school with my dad as a teacher, and if I EVER got picked to do something it was "because my dad works there". Even when I got a B2 on my 11+ they said it was because of him, which is outrageous, ad he isn't even on the Board of Govenors and literally NEVER saw my test...

My point being that we can't keep saying "because his dad"...He makes a great heel, the type of NWA Champion they have always had and had vast experience in the business holding Championships. The fact is in wrestling though, if they get a push from the beginning, they'll always be Main Eventers. When somebody hits a good World Title reign, they should never crawl back DOWN the ladder. Keep him as a Main Eventer, for all those reasons and, the pop when he loses is brilliant! :xyx

A lot of unfair criticism is levied towards him, but at the same time so is a lot of criticism which is right on the button. He is not a "mid carder at best" he has legitimately carried two world titles, and is a good heel mic worker. The problem is that he wont get the hell out of the main event picture. If he is not the champion, he is the challenger. And if he is neither he is complaining to whoever is the character in charge about how he should be champion or challenger. When he dropped the belt after 11 month reign. Did he work an undercard feud or match. No, instead of putting someone over, or working a feud that would legitimately put him back in the title picture, he just automatically goes there. Think about it-He dropped the title to AJ and proceeded to not wrestle at the following 3 straight PPVs, but still appeared on screen. Working an undercard feud with say Jeff Hardy during that period would have given his character some fresh life. Instead by constantly appearing on our screen as champ/challenger he was grown too stale, hence the smark chants.

I actually enjoy the guys work and i think he's pretty good in the ring,it really pisses me of when the smarks shout boring or drop the belt as i find it disrespectful to the sport of Pro wrestling ,yes i am a smark but i would never should things like that at a live event yeah i would boo him but shouting insider comments annoys me and i rank it as bad as calling wrestlers by there real names.

For all of the people who say he is a midcarder at best why is he? because he is average in the ring? well lets look at Batista he's crap in the ring and is no where near as good as JJ.Because he's average on the mic? Again he's better than Batista yet no one (Except Maybe Draven) bad mouthed Batista.Saying he's a midcarder is like saying in the attitude era brandising Austin,Taker and HHH midcarders because of there WCW runs.

I actually enjoy the guys work and i think he's pretty good in the ring,it really pisses me of when the smarks shout boring or drop the belt as i find it disrespectful to the sport of Pro wrestling ,yes i am a smark but i would never should things like that at a live event yeah i would boo him but shouting insider comments annoys me and i rank it as bad as calling wrestlers by there real names.

For all of the people who say he is a midcarder at best why is he? because he is average in the ring? well lets look at Batista he's crap in the ring and is no where near as good as JJ.Because he's average on the mic? Again he's better than Batista yet no one (Except Maybe Draven) bad mouthed Batista.Saying he's a midcarder is like saying in the attitude era brandising Austin,Taker and HHH midcarders because of there WCW runs.

Batista had pretty good matches. I'm not saying he's a Benoit or even CLOSE but he was booked as a monster, and he played that role to perfection. You can't book Jarrett as a monster, since he's smaller, and I really dont' find him talented at ALL. His promo's are boring and generic. I also really don't see him as a main eventer and I doubt I ever will.

On a side note did anyone else have a laugh when JJ told Christian he was a mid-card comedy act?

He's like Cena and HHH he needs to stay away from the belt for a LONG time and give time to get other main eventers over..

he's OK in the ring.. but he wants in ring promo time and that's not what TNA fans want.. they should only have two minute backstage interviews.. or max 6 minutes promo.. not 10 mintues minimum.. he really is TNA's version of HHH

It doesn't matter if JJ can wrestle better than Batista, he just doesn't have the ''It'' factor that makes you say WoW I wanna see that guy. He's nothing special, people say that he is a good heel, well the only reason they boo him is because they want him out of their screens, be gone for good or just drop to the Mid Card. Edited by Drake

I liked Jarrett in his early Memphis days, he was the perfect babyface. I remember he challenged Bret on Superstars when he was still with USWA, it was a really big deal to me. Nowadays people hate him too much so it's hard to get into his work. I don't mind him at all to be honest. He will drop to Christian though.

Surely this makes him a perfect heel?

I hink the difference is between Jarrett and a great heel is, the fans hate Jarrett, not the heel. It's not his heel actions the fans despise, it's Jarrett in the main event.

Jarrett isn't a bad heel, but his heat is based on totally different reasons.

Yeah it's 'we want you dead because we're sick and tired of you' heat. Personally, while I am incredibly bored of his wrestling, his numerous title reigns, his promos and his obsession with walking over to the announce table and moaning to Mike Tenay about whatever, Jeff Jarrett has name value to WWF and WCW fans which is why he's going to be on top for a long while yet.