FCW - Back To The Future - 29/1/06 - Discussion Thread

FCW-Promoter

FCW - Back To The Future

Sunday January 29th 2005

Baggeridge Social Welfare Centre, Lower Gornal

Doors Open - 7:00pm - Show Starts - 7:45pm

======================================

Future Championship Wrestling return to Baggeridge for their first show of 2006, entitled "Violent Night"

Random thoughts leading into the show.

After brushing aside the former FCW Champion Rob Hunter again, what's in store for The Bouncer?

After one of his greatest victories over Mike Quackenbush, who will take on the seemingly unbeatable Dragon Phoenix?

We never thought we'd see the destruction of the Berlin wall, we never thought Liverpool would once again be champions of Europe. More suprising than all that, we never thought we'd see Blade get a pinfall victory. Not only win the match, but win the FCW Tag Team Titles with Marc Hogan. The champs will be in the house.....

Behind all the tomfoolery, The Judge is beginning to rack up some impressive victories.

After losing his match at Violent Night to Chris Hero, we expect Moralez to be even more aggitated than normal. Pity the poor opponent.

Matches to be announced over the following weeks.

Edited by FCW-Promoter

• 2 weeks later...

There's some good news up at the moment. Very impressed that all the rosters profiles are working (however from past picture knowlage there very pixlated tho.)

Also I'm VERY intrested in to see who is going to be drafted into the 'Trainee Tag Match' I think it should include Wealse and the english gentleman for it though.

Also some good matches made for the 3rd year show. Hunter and Pheonix should be a great match.

Spud Vs celt should be very intresting to see as well as A star and Xander vs Blade Hogan

I will try my hardest to be at this show!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, 1 day to go, let's get the hype started :)

This has the promise of being a very very strong card for FCW, I can see Bouncer retaining the title (in a very enjoyable match), BBS defeating Kev (If Pl4y keep out of it), Pheonix and Rob having their normal amazing match (Pheonix to win), and hopefully DA to win a number 1 contenders match or even the titles :) Maybe DA v A* and Xander for #1 contendership?

I'll be there :)

Results -

Morales def Weasel

Celt Kennedy def Dragon Pheonix, after Jack Storm returned (:D :D :D) and promised to end Pheonix's career

FCW Tag Team Championship

A-Star Athlete and Laken Xander def Hogan and Blade

Looonngg Intermission

HB-Kev (you needed to see his shorts to know this) def BBS

Devils Advocate def High-cons

FCW Championship

The Judge def Bouncer via DQ

Was an OK show overall, couple of niggling things that annoyed me, will share when I am a) more awake and b) feeling better

Adam

It was only a couple of things that really annoyed me, and its nothing really to do with the show. The wrestling was pretty good, title change was fun. One thing that majorly annoyed me last night was the MC. Now, I dont know if its just me being very traditionalist with this, but I feel most matches should be called like 'The following contest is scheduled for one fall, introducing first.....'. Most MC's should be in Suits! Sorry, just me being very traditionist with wrestling, he did get better through the night, and got a bit of a big match atmosphere for the main event.

Unfortunatly, I know there is nothing FCW can do about it because of feds like 1PW (and how FWA have horribly failed) is that it seems we are going nowhere :( SOme of the matches has been seen a good few times over the last year (ie DA v High-cons), and it just really saddens me that FCW can put on great shows, and can't seem to make an impact on the UK scene. I love going to FCW shows, and I really really want to see them do well

I know this is just me rambling but its how I feel :(

I don't normally respond to these type of things, but I will for this one.

Regarding the MC. Stuart didn't know that he was going to MC until he arrived at the venue at 7:15pm.

'Back To The Future' was scheduled to be Emeralds last night of MC'ing, but was taken ill earlier in the day.

A lot of changes had to be made to the card due to injuries and illness.

With any promotion in the world you are going to get the same people in the same matches a lot of the time. The Devil's Advocate and The HighCons have fought a few times before, it's true. This match wasn't scheduled.

Likewise The Judge and Bouncer fought a few times last year, but now there is a different twist as the FCW Title is in the mix.

On the flip side - Sunday night, we had Kevin O'Neil vs BB Steele which has never happened before and Moralez vs Weasel for the first time. The participants in the FCW Tag Title match have never faced off in tag action before either.

Anyway, enough of that. Another good show to start the year off. :xyx and the results are up on the site as well as the 2005 Awards results -

http://www.futurewrestling.co.uk/news

Edited by FCW-Promoter

Unfortunatly, I know there is nothing FCW can do about it because of feds like 1PW (and how FWA have horribly failed) is that it seems we are going nowhere :( SOme of the matches has been seen a good few times over the last year (ie DA v High-cons), and it just really saddens me that FCW can put on great shows, and can't seem to make an impact on the UK scene. I love going to FCW shows, and I really really want to see them do well

You and I tend to think along similar lines a lot of the time, Ad, but I'd have to differ with your opinion on this one (if I'm completely getting where you're coming from, which admittedly I feel I may not entirely be).

If were suddenly given a sum of money with which I start a wrestling promotion, I would certainly follow the business model of an FCW, MPW or IPW:UK, as opposed to a 1PW or FWA, or some of the wider-area based smaller promotions who seemingly run once in a blue moon.

Using FCW & 1PW as examples- FCW run regularly in a condensed area using what I imagine to be, with all respect, lower end of the cost-scale talent. Their admission prices are very reasonable, as I'm sure no-one would argue. As long as revenue is at least covering running costs, its a safe bet that they will continue to be about for the forseeable future. All of this is conductive to the crowds & atmosphere at FCW's events: the shows are regular and, give or take, the faces are the same ie. Easy accessibility + regular affordability = loyal fanbase. This, at least to me, says longevity. From what little I know of 1PW, their business model, why seemingly producing the goods at present, is not one I would associate with steady success over a period of years, and I think the decline in the FWA's fortunes over the last 18 months or so is a decent indicator as to why.

Once again, 1PW have to cover their outlay to remain a going concern. To be blunt, the cost in flying all these yanks over must be, comparitively, astronomical, and I think their ticket prices (at least front row, ringside etc) reflect this. Obviously, they aren't going to cover running costs by drawing exclusively from their local area (or, they're relying on folks shelling out a bit more dosh, and giving up the best part of a day, to come from further afield). You're looking at significantly small percentage of your target audience with the will, not to mention the income, to do this on a regular basis- factor in the likes of the Skydome supershows, and much of the allure (that which would seperate the supershow-esque 1PW from the local groups) is diminished.

In this scenario, in my opinion/experience, most fans who've been once in the last year or so aren't tripping over themselves to go again in the immediate future, the more shows they run, the less of a special attraction they seem. If/when the revenue falls, costs have to be cut (obviously I know merchandise sales factor heavily in this instance, but I believe the same applies), the imports are fewer & further between and what enticed supporters to make the trip in the first place is no longer a significant factor, or, if you like, the product is weakened in the eyes of the consumer.

I'll cut this short, because it could easily become an essay but, to summarise: while FCW isn't rapidly expanding or creating a buzz further afield, at least we can be reasonably sure that they'll still be about, and at the very least at a similar level to present, 2-3 years from now, and I'm sure we can all take solace from that.

Yeah, I can definatly see where you are coming from Dusty. I think I might have been a bit rambling when I posted this last night (brain really isn't in gear), and didn't really adjust my point into how I wanted to. I used 1PW as an example because unfortunatly its feds like this (and Supershows in some ways) that are really holding back the really good feds in the UK (IPW:UK, MPW, and us), as in unfortunatly UK feds cant get the exposure, and can't afford all the exposure that these feds get.

I would firstly like to thank FCW Promotor for replying to my post, and making the points clear (and I hope Emerald gets well soon :)). I think sitting through the Rumble the next day, made me really angry about wrestling, and unfortunatly FCW partly felt my wrath, so I do apologise if I offended anyone with tone etc. I'd honestly completly forgot about us seeing Bouncer v Judge a couple of times last year, Judge seems so fresh at the minute, most of his previous feuds are out of the window. I'm definatly hoping we can see some more of the FCW trainees, becuase quite a few of them impressed me last month, and hopefully some time on the shows, can help them improve. Weasel impressed me in his match versus Morales, even though he did get squashed (literally :)).

I think you'll agree with me Dusty Finish in some aspects, that the UK market seems extremely over-saturated at the moment with feds, and unfortuntly I feel some casual fans are being turned off by the some very bad feds, and thinking that they are all like that. What I meant by not getting anywhere, is just I'd love to see us selling out everywhere we go, and venturing into new arenas (which is obviously hard, due to everywhere seeming to have an indy fed atm). I'm loving the regular crowd that we are getting into Baggeridge atm, because they know the wrestlers, storylines etc, and just wish we could get this out to the world. It's good though how FCW is established in its home venues of Baggerigde, Haden Hill and in some ways, Walsall.

I know this is partly my fault, but this place has also been dead lately, and hasnt helped my enthusiasm :( Also doesnt help, that I was really really looking forward to the show, and then everything seemed to go wrong on the day (including me getting this stupid virus that is going round), and it seemed like a let down. Which is a shame for a show that was pretty good.

Ah well, I apologise for some of my previous comments, I probably didnt mean them in the way that they were coming across, and I give 1PW under a year to live :) (However I will be there in March for Christian ~)

Adam (and yes, I was probably rambling again :()

Did the sound guy only bring one CD or something? There's only so much Van Halen the human brain can withstand in one sitting.(from Iconoclasm revue)

You're sort of right. He had left the cd case at home and only had two cd's with him that had been left in the cd players.

It was a straight choice between Van Halen and 50cent.

Good sense prevailed and Van Halen won the battle.

Edited by mabel

I think you'll agree with me Dusty Finish in some aspects, that the UK market seems extremely over-saturated at the moment with feds, and unfortuntly I feel some casual fans are being turned off by the some very bad feds, and thinking that they are all like that.

Indeed. Too many cooks & all that. I seem to remember a running joke about a year ago about the number of championship belts Alex Shane was carting about.....

It was a straight choice between Van Halen and 50pence.

Good sense prevailed and Van Halen won the battle.

Given that this new information has come to light, I am certainly thankful for small blessings!