Wrestlings most iconic images/moments

Naitch

Just thought it'd be an interesting thread for people to list the iconic images or moments from the three most well known American promotions of the last 30 years, WWF/E, NWA/WCW and ECW. I'll list a bunch of them and people can add their own or discuss their memories of these moments or whatever. It has just been a topic that has been stuck in my head ever since seeing the Hell in the Cell video packages and seeing the iconic moment of Foley being thrown off the top, so I had to start a thread about it.

WWF/E

-The aforementioned Undertaker throwing Mick Foley off the top of the Cell, complete with Jim Ross selling it like Foley was dead.

-Rowdy Roddy Piper introduces Jimmy Snuka's head to a coconut.

-Snuka's two Splashes from the top of the cage. Cue 150 young kids being influenced to become professional wrestlers.

-Andre rips the crucifix from Hogan's neck.

-Hogan slams Andre in the biggest match in wrestling history. Probably the most iconic moment in wrestling history.

-Warrior pins Hogan, holds both belts aloft.

-Hogan pins Shieky. Hulkamania runs wild.

-The REAL World Champion, Ric Flair enters the WWF.

-The Shawn Michaels Splash from the ladder to Razor Ramon.

-Steve Austin locked in the Sharpshooter with blood streaming down his face.

-Any major staredown ever, Warrior-Hogan, Austin-Rock, Hogan-Rock etc.

-TYSON AND AUSTIN, TYSON AND AUSTIN, TYSON AND AUSTIN.

-Austin drives the Zamboni into the arena. Cue crowd hysteria.

-Austin beerbath on Vince, Shane and Rock.

-'Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass.' The birth of Austin 3:16. Cue everyone in the world ever wearing an Austin 3:16 t-shirt.

-Austin Stunners Shawn Michaels to win his first WWF Title.

-'Ring the bell, ring the ****ing bell...'

-Nitro/Raw joint broadcast. Vince McMahon buys WCW.

NWA/WCW

-Magnum TA makes hated enemy Tully Blanchard say 'I Quit' using a stake to his head.

-Flair and the Andersons break Dusty's ankle in the cage. Also notable for Dusty's fantastic 'Hard Times promo.

-Horsemen beat up Dusty in the parking lot. Ingenius angle. The Horsemen kidnap a camera man just so they can film Dusty getting his ass kicked. You don't get that realism in wrestling anymore.

-Ric Flair's entrance at Starrcade 83, followed by his victory over Harley Race.

-Sting pins Flair for his first World Title.

-Flair pins Vader for the title at Starrcade 93.

-Scott Hall debuts on Monday Nitro.

-Kevin Nash Powerbombs Eric Bischoff through a table.

-The heel turn heard around the world. Hulk Hogan turns heel, WCW becomes the number one promotion.

-Rey Mysterio: Human lawn dart.

-Goldberg pins Hogan for the WCW Title. Cue mass crowd hysteria.

-Ric Flair returns to Monday Nitro.

ECW

-Shane Douglas throws down the NWA Title, declares himself ECW Champion.

-The Chairshot Heard Around the World. Dreamer chairs Raven while Raven is handcuffed to a cage.

-'Blind' Sandman.

-Dreamer takes a caning from The Sandman.

-Chris Benoit kills Sabu.

-Tyler Fullington turns on his dad, joins Raven.

-'NO, I'M PREGNANT...', Raven then beats up Stevie.

-Dreamer finally pins Raven.

-Followed by Jerry Lawler invading the ECW Arena, Lawler-Sabu-RVD beat up the lockerroom, Taz saves the day, Sabu pins Taz, Taz beats Douglas for the TV Title. Now THATS booking.

-Brian Pillman. That is all. Ok, everything from 'SMART MARKS', to wrestling a pencil, to getting in a brawl with the returning Shane Douglas. Just everything he did.

-Funk, Cactus Jack and The Public Enemy get buried under a mountain of chairs.

-Funk in the Box.

-Public Enemy, the entire crowd and an ECW ring. Bad combination.

-'Well ya know something Mean Joey...' Steve-a-Mania runs wild in ECW.

-Taz and Bam Bam go through the ring.

-Sandman returns to ECW in 1999.

-Rhyno Piledrives Lori Fullington from the apron through a table.

-Jerry Lynn writes 'Die' on his chest using Steve Corino's blood.

Yeah, I named a whole bunch, but I'm sure I left some out, so feel free to add your own, discuss them or whatever. I was trying to put down more old school NWA ones, but my mind is a blank at the minute.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, don't like to swear on this forum, as it is my favourite forum and I have learned over the year that it's not cool, see me on other forums for explicit versions of Dave7g. Anyway...

This is a freakin' awesome match...

Magnum TA makes hated enemy Tully Blanchard say 'I Quit' using a stake to his head.

This is what wrestling was all about, this is the kinda stuff that got me hooked so bad that no matter how shite WWE are I'm gonna be still there. This match honestly scared the hell out of me, I say it , and because its true I wanted Tully to lose so much because he was a notorious no good *******, I hated him so damn much, but when the mach came around I felt bad that I wanted the great Blanchard to be hurt, I stopped for a split second and gave Tully a chance to redeam himself as a9 year old boy, but he was so hideous he got the thumbs down.

One of the greatest matches of all time bar none, I was so glad to get this on DVD a few years ago on the Bloodbath compilation, it's without a doubt the 2nd best match on the DVD set coming a very close second to Bret vs Owen Summerslam 94'. I don;'t think there is 45 minutes on recorded tape that is so sweet, unless of course it's the first 45 minutes of " Back to the Future"!!

Thanks Naitch, AWESOME match!!!!!

• Like 1

Tommy Dream sends RVD about 3 feet in the air with a HUGE Piledriver.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/5770/bestpiledriverever3jf.gif hell yeah!

Also, my most iconic WWF moment: Lex Luger (off to a great start I know) body slamming Yokozuna! Yes! way better than Hogan slammin' Andre!

Also, my most iconic WWF moment: Lex Luger (off to a great start I know) body slamming Yokozuna! Yes! way better than Hogan slammin' Andre!

That right there is what selling is all about!!!

Awesome.

I have just sat here for about 5 mins watching this clip over and over and still cant work out how he sold it like that. Its even harder to work out than the Canadian Destroyer :P . Someone please enlighten me.

Ive seen that before and i dont how the hell he sold it either, it looks like he's broke his frigging neck

HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!! but if you watch old ecw matches theres plenty of moves that have been done which just makes you think, how the F*ck can they survive that move let alone kick out on a 2count

Whos that in the skirt with the fantasticly shaped and tanned legs? Was that Francine?

Yeah all good choices that I had forgotten about (well except The Boogeyman, but he will be an icon in a matter of months), but damn we're really scrapping the barrel if Randy Orton winning the World Title is an iconic moment in wrestling history.

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/2557/st35qq.jpg

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/38/a3169if.jpg

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/7613/macho2uh.jpg

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/2794/ed6ct.jpg

ive got hundreads of moments in mind i just wish id have been the lucky chappie next to torrie after a night out on the piss

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/264/04431ny.jpg

Actually after looking at torrie again without my beer goggles on ive had second thoughts :lol

Just thought it'd be an interesting thread for people to list the iconic images or moments from the three most well known American promotions of the last 30 years, WWF/E, NWA/WCW and ECW. I'll list a bunch of them and people can add their own or discuss their memories of these moments or whatever. It has just been a topic that has been stuck in my head ever since seeing the Hell in the Cell video packages and seeing the iconic moment of Foley being thrown off the top, so I had to start a thread about it.

WWF/E

-The aforementioned Undertaker throwing Mick Foley off the top of the Cell, complete with Jim Ross selling it like Foley was dead.

-Rowdy Roddy Piper introduces Jimmy Snuka's head to a coconut.

-Snuka's two Splashes from the top of the cage. Cue 150 young kids being influenced to become professional wrestlers.

-Andre rips the crucifix from Hogan's neck.

-Hogan slams Andre in the biggest match in wrestling history. Probably the most iconic moment in wrestling history.

-Warrior pins Hogan, holds both belts aloft.

-Hogan pins Shieky. Hulkamania runs wild.

-The REAL World Champion, Ric Flair enters the WWF.

-The Shawn Michaels Splash from the ladder to Razor Ramon.

-Steve Austin locked in the Sharpshooter with blood streaming down his face.

-Any major staredown ever, Warrior-Hogan, Austin-Rock, Hogan-Rock etc.

-TYSON AND AUSTIN, TYSON AND AUSTIN, TYSON AND AUSTIN.

-Austin drives the Zamboni into the arena. Cue crowd hysteria.

-Austin beerbath on Vince, Shane and Rock.

-'Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass.' The birth of Austin 3:16. Cue everyone in the world ever wearing an Austin 3:16 t-shirt.

-Austin Stunners Shawn Michaels to win his first WWF Title.

-'Ring the bell, ring the ****ing bell...'

-Nitro/Raw joint broadcast. Vince McMahon buys WCW.

NWA/WCW

-Magnum TA makes hated enemy Tully Blanchard say 'I Quit' using a stake to his head.

-Flair and the Andersons break Dusty's ankle in the cage. Also notable for Dusty's fantastic 'Hard Times promo.

-Horsemen beat up Dusty in the parking lot. Ingenius angle. The Horsemen kidnap a camera man just so they can film Dusty getting his ass kicked. You don't get that realism in wrestling anymore.

-Ric Flair's entrance at Starrcade 83, followed by his victory over Harley Race.

-Sting pins Flair for his first World Title.

-Flair pins Vader for the title at Starrcade 93.

-Scott Hall debuts on Monday Nitro.

-Kevin Nash Powerbombs Eric Bischoff through a table.

-The heel turn heard around the world. Hulk Hogan turns heel, WCW becomes the number one promotion.

-Rey Mysterio: Human lawn dart.

-Goldberg pins Hogan for the WCW Title. Cue mass crowd hysteria.

-Ric Flair returns to Monday Nitro.

ECW

-Shane Douglas throws down the NWA Title, declares himself ECW Champion.

-The Chairshot Heard Around the World. Dreamer chairs Raven while Raven is handcuffed to a cage.

-'Blind' Sandman.

-Dreamer takes a caning from The Sandman.

-Chris Benoit kills Sabu.

-Tyler Fullington turns on his dad, joins Raven.

-'NO, I'M PREGNANT...', Raven then beats up Stevie.

-Dreamer finally pins Raven.

-Followed by Jerry Lawler invading the ECW Arena, Lawler-Sabu-RVD beat up the lockerroom, Taz saves the day, Sabu pins Taz, Taz beats Douglas for the TV Title. Now THATS booking.

-Brian Pillman. That is all. Ok, everything from 'SMART MARKS', to wrestling a pencil, to getting in a brawl with the returning Shane Douglas. Just everything he did.

-Funk, Cactus Jack and The Public Enemy get buried under a mountain of chairs.

-Funk in the Box.

-Public Enemy, the entire crowd and an ECW ring. Bad combination.

-'Well ya know something Mean Joey...' Steve-a-Mania runs wild in ECW.

-Taz and Bam Bam go through the ring.

-Sandman returns to ECW in 1999.

-Rhyno Piledrives Lori Fullington from the apron through a table.

-Jerry Lynn writes 'Die' on his chest using Steve Corino's blood.

Yeah, I named a whole bunch, but I'm sure I left some out, so feel free to add your own, discuss them or whatever. I was trying to put down more old school NWA ones, but my mind is a blank at the minute.

ECW:Rob Van Dam held the World TV title for over 19 months.And during half of that time he also was one half of the ECW tag team champions.

And how can we forget the night that Shane Douglas pulled on the halo of Former Pit Bull Gary Wolfe.An incident that caused a serious uproar.

WCW:Ron Simmons in August of 1992 became the very 1st African American to hold a major World Heavyweight championship in any pro wrestling circuit.(Before the Rock in the WWE)

The Road Warriors along with the Steiner Bros. were the only two tag teams in WCW history to hold the WCW Tag team titles and tag team championships in Japan.

During the Great American Bash back in 1986 Ric Flair defended the World championship 12 straight times in 12 days in 12 different cities against 12 different opponents only to lose to Dusty Rhodes inside of a steel cage at Bash#13.(Two weeks later he regained it from"The American Dream" thanks to Tully Blanchard beating Rhodes up with a briefcase days before)

WWF/WWE:Kevin Nash beat Bob Backlund under a minute to become WWF champion.(About under 20 seconds to be exact)

Bret Hart defended the WWF title more than any champion in history.

At Summerslam the Road Warriors became the only team in history to have held 3 major World tag team championships in 3 different federations.

Randy Savage drops a ringbell on Ricky Steamboat's throat.

Wrestlemania 4 had the biggest single elimination tournament in history to crown a new Undisputed champion of the World.(Randy Savage beat 4 men in one night to become the 1st undisputed champion)

The Road Warriors along with the Steiner Bros. were the only two tag teams in WCW history to hold the WCW Tag team titles and tag team championships in Japan.

The Road Warriors also held the WWF/WWE Tag titles as the Legion of Doom.

Oops double post, um

Shawn Micheals posing in front of his pyro is an iconic image.

The Road Warriors also held the WWF/WWE Tag titles as the Legion of Doom.

I know. I said under the WWF headline that the Road Warriors were the only team in history to have held 3 different tag team championships in 3 different promotions.The AWA,the NWA,and the WWF tag team titles.:P

Nevertheless Supekick Kid were both right.:lol